Author Topic: Problem with the vet. Need advice.  (Read 886 times)

Offline Sprinkles

Problem with the vet. Need advice.
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:28 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Please move if you need to.

Brody was poorly at night in July and we had an out off hours appointment with the vet and some meds etc. Brody is all sorted now and we applied for a claim form from our insurance company (John Lewis group/Greenbee) which needed to be completed/signed by the vet, which we hand delivered.

Since then I have called 7 times over nearly 2 months to see what is happening with the form and seem to be fobbed off each time. I can never seem to speak to the vet and I am now thinking of making an appointment (without Brody) just to get it all sorted.

I'm worried my insurance claim won't be valid as it's taken so long due to the delay. I feel this has now escalated into a big complaint and I don't see why the vet should be allowed to get away with it. Does anyone know where I should direct my complaint too? I understand the practice has a reputation for this sort of delay and the last straw was tonight as I was told last week  to call "on Tuesday" only to be told tonight that the vet would call me back and guess what....no call!

I could direct the complaint to the practice (just 2 vets and not my normal practice) but I think they would and could just put it in the bin! Is there some governing body I can threaten them with (!) or write too?
Jo slave to the Cocker! ;)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Problem with the vet. Need advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »
This article mentions complains complaining to the RCVS

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/8197650.Our_fight_is_on_behalf_of_everyone___s_sick_pets/

Could the CAB help?  :huh:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:27:22 AM »
You could write to the head of the practice setting out all the details of when you delivered the claim form to them and your attempts to contact them since and CC your insurance company.  If you don't get a reply then the RCVS sound like a good idea and perhaps a letter to the local paper.

When I was at my vets yesterday (just the cat for booster jab) I saw they have now put a notice up saying they will charge £15 for the completion of claim forms.  Is this standard practice elsewhere?

It seems that they are a law unto themselves. 

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »
Can you obtain another claim form - they may have lost the original and if you go in with it as an appointment then wait whilst it is is signed.

You pay for your vets and you should expect a reasonable service from them. On a couple of occassions at my old vets (now moved) I had cause to query their bills, having been charged twice for a couple of things and for an overnight stay after they had told me to collect my girl. Perhaps you could mention copying in all paperwork and dates and times of conversations to the RCVS.

Good luck, let us know what happens. Also, have you spoken to your insurance company, perhaps they can put pressure on them.

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:22:28 AM »
I have found this after you guys mentioned RCVS

http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/complaints/i-want-to-make-a-complaint/

I know it's aimed at the more serious end of complaining but at least I can threaten to report them in my letter to the practice.

Many thanks

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »
sorry if I've misunderstood, but are you wanting the signed form returning to you to send to John Lewis (Greenbee)  ?

I am also with the same insurance company and have had several claims. My vet practice deal with the claims and send off the forms for me. I have never had a problem with this,

Have you phoned John  Lewis to check whether they have received your claim form ?

:-\     jann

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
Yes I've called JL a few times. The delay is with the vet not JL.

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 07:41:36 AM »
I had a recent problem with claim forms and the vet .

in my experience the practice I dealt with only had people in to deal with insurance claims twice a week and if you didn't call on those days no one else could help or deal with it . After chasing and getting it sent in I found I did not agree with what had been put on the form neither the total bill I paid or the illness described . After speaking with the insurance company it's the vet that had the final say and that was that according to them only they could be right . I ended up sitting for a long time at the practice until I saw a vet to discuss it . Think its pretty disgusting .

I'm still waiting for my money 4 months after it all ended . And it's all down to the  time and errors from the practice .

I would not wait to complain do it today  >:(
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:16:51 AM »
I think I would go to the surgery and wait to talk to someone.

Millie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
Complain in writing to the practice manager if they have one or the head vet if they don't. I thought my old boss was slow at filling in claim forms as he did them every two weeks - 2 months is ridiculous by anyones standards. 
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
My vet accepts payment direct from the insurance company which means we don't have to part with any money before the insurance pays up. I though all vets worked like that.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers