Author Topic: Phoebe and Mia were attacked by a Staffie  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Phoebe and Mia were attacked by a Staffie
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
We would hope that most people are sensible enough not to feel the need to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut but just to be clear COL absolutely does not advocate that members or anyone else carries or uses pepper spray or any other type of offensive weapon. Legality aside Karma has given excellent reasons why it wouldn't be practical anyway, and from a legal point of view can we please not have any further such suggestions on the forum, thanks.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
I agree with Karma (as usual when I'm lurking on COL).  I would never pick up my dog in this situation.  I would also drop my dog's leash if they were threatened.  I can't help my dog if I'm being attacked myself.

We sometimes meet a staffie when out who is rude, in your face, and won't leave my dogs alone.  His owner looks about 12, is usually miles away, and Bruno (the staffie) seems to take no notice of her.  However, apart from all that he's just a boisterous boy who wants to play, as are most of the staffies I've met.  I sometimes wonder what his reaction would be though if another dog decided to take him on, but we just walk on and ignore him as best we can.  I have had to drop the lead before when my neighbour's dog attacked Mollie.  He's a Patterdale and every dog owner in the village avoids running into him when he's off-leash.  He will not give up, and carries on fighting till said neighbour gets him back under control, but he's bad news.  >:D

Offline rowan dl

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 10:52:31 PM »
hi,

Why is it that when you hear the words oh they are alright they only want to play brings dread to me, the same thing happened to my little man rowan, except he was attacked by a jack Russell he came rushing over to us with the owner shouting for his return, which the dog ignored, and my little man was  now looking very worried as though he knew, the jack Russell bit  him in the hind quarters, thank goodness he had his harness on, i picked him up into my arms by this time the owner had appeared and said he was alright he only wants to play. when i told him he had just bitten my boy, the response i got was, well he has never done that before, why can't these owners be more responsible and but there dogs on there leads like i always do, :luv: my little man is only 5 month old.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
I agree with Karma (as usual when I'm lurking on COL).  I would never pick up my dog in this situation.  I would also drop my dog's leash if they were threatened.  I can't help my dog if I'm being attacked myself.

We sometimes meet a staffie when out who is rude, in your face, and won't leave my dogs alone.  His owner looks about 12, is usually miles away, and Bruno (the staffie) seems to take no notice of her.  However, apart from all that he's just a boisterous boy who wants to play, as are most of the staffies I've met.  I sometimes wonder what his reaction would be though if another dog decided to take him on, but we just walk on and ignore him as best we can.  I have had to drop the lead before when my neighbour's dog attacked Mollie.  He's a Patterdale and every dog owner in the village avoids running into him when he's off-leash.  He will not give up, and carries on fighting till said neighbour gets him back under control, but he's bad news.  >:D

Its very hard in a situation not to pick your dog up if its being attack by another dog..It is instinct that you would pick your dog up out the way....(I have also done so)..After all how Meany said they would not let there dog drown if it fell through the ice on a pond!!!...Like i have said it is instinct that you would go after your dog....

Yes you say dropping the lead but in the worst case scenario the yapping snarling crying and the pain of your dog being torn apart by another bigger dog is a different matter(this is Fact)(sorry for being grafic)... ..It does Not aways work by dropping the lead...Small dogs are still aggressive as bigger dogs a J/R can inflict as much damage as a bigger dog...In the heat of such event any person will be having a nightmare as to the situation going on and i am sure your selves would not take this lieing down but would be stress out in what is happening at that very moment.

I do apologize for using the word pepper spray i would not use it my self i was just saying as to some one else(that i know)....

This is what you must do if another dog does attacks your dog.(As it is very hard to do on your own) and i can not see any person on there own trying to part two fighting dogs(even when the owner turns up)...It needs two persons to part two dogs(when in full fight) each person grabbing the hind legs of each dog and pulling away and turning in a clock wise manner slowly and backing away all the time(this keeps there head away from biteing you)...this has to be kept up for some time until the dogs quiet down and you your self will still be turning slowly and backing away to calm the dogs down...And i can for see None of cocker's on line Lady's being able to do this task...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »

I find your comments about the 'ladies' very patronising Chris, and your theory sounds like something out of a pitbull dog fighting training manual  ;)

True dog fights are relatively rare, but a spat/handbags is always over very quickly - unfortunately this can often be misconstrued as a fight but I strongly believe, where possible, in letting my dog speak dog.   

My dog is an intact male so theoretically should be a higher risk to walk (in the insurance company eyes anyway), and I have spent the last 6 years reading every situation and trying to ensure that he is as confident in his interactions as possible because he is incredibly sensitive and if I am scared he will definitely pick that up.  I have never picked him up - I have blocked other dogs if they seem to be approaching 'rudely',  I have thrown treats down in front of me to distract a dog and I have had my heart in my mouth when he's had a disagreement (only ever handbags and no bites involved).  I always drop his lead if I think the other dog is confrontational.

I have witnessed one true dog fight (but hundreds of disagreements with no injury) and one owner threw his coat over his dog and this distracted the dogs enough to be able to be separated without owner injury.
helen & jarvis x

Offline seaangler

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
Helen it is not Patronizing but fact..And not some thing out of a pit bull fight....I have sent you an email....

Yes dog fights are rare and..I would in all honestly hope it never happens to any one dogs while out ...

If any lady members thinks it is I do sincerely apologized if you found what i have written  Patronising...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
I've been involved in a serious
incident while out with my previous
2 dogs on a dark winter morningin the
park. They were both attacked by 2
unleashed dogs and it was a huge
fight both my dogs required vet treatment
and I had to go hospital because I had
to get physically involved to stop it;
I have the scars to prove it!
steffxxx

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:42 AM »
I was in a situation a long time ago with one of boys (now at the bridge)  a Border Collie really went for Henry, taking him down proper biting his legs had him by the throat, the owner just didn't know what to do.  I must first say I love all dogs and wouldn't hurt one, but I kicked the Border Collie in his privates and he soon let go.  Picked up my boy and went berserk at the pathetic owner.

I would do what it takes to protect my boys, pick up, intervene, whatever and worry about the consequences after!  ;)

Firstly I should of said, I'm so sorry Pheobe and Mia were attacked, awful situation it was fortunate you weren't walking the girls on your own.  I'm pleased it ended well with no nasty bites.  :D

Offline Miadanu

• Donator
  • Merlin
    • COL Sussex Meetups Information Thread
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
My next door neighbour is a canine behaviourist (trained at Bishop burton as well) and she advised me that if a dog ever attacked Merlin to lift up the dog's rear legs as apparently that will make it more likely to release it's jaws.  She only uses positive training methods and wouldn't advocate anything harmful so in this instance I'll agree about how to separate them.  Only aPplies to a proper fight though. What a lot of us may perceive as a fight is really just a disagreement and can be over as quickly as they have begun if left to work it out.  We've so far only had to intercede in one that went on for more than about 30secs and although it was horrible Merlin got away with a few puncture marks on his ears and the other dog returned home. 

As an aside, wish you all the best in trying not to see Staffies as a threat - some are lovely playful dogs with an unfortunate bad rep that makes people on edge and in turn, they pick up on it.  Other dogs 'attack' too ;)

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
'The ladies'... yeah ok. I'm not sure what image you have in your head my dear, but we're not all weak and feeble women... I'm stronger than many men I know as a result of being horsey - lifting full haynets and shifting bales will leave you fairly well conditioned. So no, it is not 'fact'.