Author Topic: Dog walking and going in water  (Read 984 times)

Offline Yomper

Dog walking and going in water
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »
Saw a website that said good Doggin site near ouse river in buckinghamshire so thought i would take oscar (our dog) there this afternoon. I didn't see any other dogs there although there were lots of people in their cars!!

No seriously oscar loves paddling and running in the water and i was wondering is there a time to stop him going in due to cold conditions or will he just stop once its too cold

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: Dog walking and going in water
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »
 :005:    cheeky!  :021:  :lol2:

My 3 seem to regulate themselves TBH - I used to avoid the river walks during winter months, so they wouldn't go into the feezing water but since giving it ago, they seem to know when it's to cold to go in & just have a little drink instead  ;)
The have more common sense than I gave them credit for, bless em  :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
Just make sure Oscar is always on the lead near any water you suspect may have ice on it - so many tragic accidents each year  :'(

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »
Just make sure Oscar is always on the lead near any water you suspect may have ice on it - so many tragic accidents each year  :'(
Sorry - of course, didn't even think to mention that  ph34r   good point Liz & sensible advice  ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »
Ice aside, just make sure you have a couple of towels and something likea dog bag, equafleece etc in the car to dry and warm them afterwards, and they should be fine so long as they're fit and healthy. Henry will sometimes go into the river in the worst weather with no problem, it's just important to not let them get chilled afterwards IMO.

Obviously keep them off any ice.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »
I let bella do her own thing, in summer she's straight in the canal, but at the min goes in everyday for a paddle and only seams to get her feet and legs wet.
I don't let bella in rivers, she's one of those dogs if she's done it once she'll always want to do it and I worry about fast flowing rivers particular as here they're straight of the hills

Offline black taz

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
my two will go in no matter the temperature.  Our regular walk they go in a fresh running pond on the way in the park and then again on the way out, if its cold they tend not to go in on the way back.

Offline Yomper

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »
Ok thanks. the river ouse near wolverton is very clean and is only shallow in most parts the deepest part i have seen is between 24 or 36 inches parts most a lot less than that and as long as im there i can go in if any need arises. not that he swims he just runs up and down the shallow bits. just wondering about the winter coming up, i have a towel and a blanket that he uses when wet and thats not just for his benefit but my car :)

Offline black taz

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
Instead of towels i have an old quilt in the car.  keeps the wet of the seats more than a towel, and i try not to towel dry taz too much else his fur matts.