Author Topic: Two male dogs can't live together??????  (Read 13138 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Re: Two male dogs can't live together??????
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »
I've got 2 of each and as ladylola said, it's the girls that are the ones that argue the most!  My boys love to play together....and one is a great dane!  :luv:

Pip on here has 4 boys and they get on fine together, she looked after 2 of mine (one girl one boy) when I was on holiday and they all got on fine!  The 2 entire males were like best buddies!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
I had two males Taffy and Merlin and they were great pals,
Guess dogs are a bit like some people,
they just don't get on.
I have meet a few who I would not like to live with  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »
Im lucky in the fact that Diesel & Olli (one year between them) get on together, my dd brings her Shiba Inu (dog) to stay often and apart from the odd grumble all 3 males get on fine together.  Hope it all goes well for you  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
It may depend on the temperaments but we had Louis for a year before we brought in our second cocker who was from a rescue, for a couple of days Louis wasn't that happy but that soon changed and they became best mates, 2 years ago we homed another rescue and now they are get on really well together, Alfie and Frankie will often lie in the basket together huddled up and the other day i went into the lounge and all 3 were cosy on the sofa all in a row and close together. so my experience has been really good especially not knowing the backgrounds of the 2 rescues.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »
I have two males (3 years old now).  I worried a bit after making the decision to get them, because of there being problems sometimes with dominant males................but, luckily for me, all has gone well and they are very content together.

I agree with what many say, and that is that you can never really be sure.

I do hope you will be lucky, and that your two will be good mates.

:luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline helshaw

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
2 males here, one 7 & the other 4. While the older one could probably live without the younger one as he was on his own for 3 years, Ollie the 4 year old hates being without his pal Buster. They have their moments just like children but its great to see them playing together & catching them curled up together.

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
2 males here - a 3 year old (nearly) and 13 months.

They get on okay together, will sleep together some of the time and seem to miss the other one if they aren't there. They also like a bit of individual time away from one another. Very like brothers really!

We have the odd grumble about toys but it's never much and I can trust them to sort themselves out generally.

I did look to get a less determined puppy second time around though so their characters would compliment each other and we would avoid setting up a battle of wills. Like other people have commented this seemed the more important thing to me than the fact they are both male.

It works for us - Good luck.

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
Boysie was rehomed because the younger male (apparently his son) in the house kept attacking him. We  (eventually!) successfully added a girl to our home.  But I know others who have boys together with no problems. So it definitely depends on the individual dog(s).

Offline annG

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
Two here, get on ok.
                 Love to be the only one getting our attention....
Can't bare to be parted.... >:D
:)
JAFFA!

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:33 AM »
This was over 3 years ago now

lord time flies.

Actually I'd always heard the reverse of the OP - that 2 bitches can't get along.  It's all rubbish IMO - it just depends on the individual dogs.  I've had a dog and a bitch that didn't get along but the bitch had lived happily with another girl and the dog (Alfie) has lived with visiting dogs and got on great with them.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:31 AM »
As everyone else said I think it's down to the individual dogs, but is it less likely that a male and female won't get along than two of the same sex? Millie is certainly worse with bitches.

Millie

Offline wendyt

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
2 (entire) WCS boys here 2 and a half years old and 18 months old, and they get on really well. I've always had males together and have never had any problems, the odd grumble now and then.
 I've got a neighbour who had 2 black show cocker bitches who were litter mates, I saw her last week with just the one dog and asked if the other one was OK she then told me they'd had to have the other one rehomed due to their fighting and she pointed out the scars on her dogs face where she'd been bitten by the other bitch.  ph34r

Offline Linda B

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »
In the past I had a father and son living together with no problems and now I have two girls, they have the odd grumble but no real nastiness, they are a year apart in age and the younger one is defo the boss.
I did come across a lady who had litter sisters who did fight and she had to rehome the dominant one.
I agree that is all down to temperaments and possibly luck.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »
It can just depend on the dog really - Wilf generally is grumpy with the male fosters I've had here but he was fine with Inky the cocker that MaryP now has and Jimmy the oldie working cocker I had on foster.

I decided though that it would be better all round if I got another girl but a poopie one.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
I know I'm probably a little late coming into this discussion, but wanted to share my experience.

I have three entire males, 4yrs, 3yrs and 18months and they all get along fine.  They have the occasional grumble at each other, but they are together 24/7 so not surprising really.

I agree that its the personality of the dog rather than gender.