Author Topic: Tuppences Dad  (Read 7766 times)

Offline garygttdi

• Site Member
Tuppences Dad
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
Hi all, many of you sent hugs and kind wishes after Tupps and I lost my beloved wife and tups mum recently. Well I need your help one more time if I may.

You see I work full time about 50 miles away from home, this was fine whilst Liz`s was at home but now she is gone, well need I say more. Tuppence has always had a second home with my in-laws and has moved in with them over the last couple of weeks whilst things were being sorted over the funeral etc. So the easiest solution would be for tupps to stay with them. However a further complication has just arisen. The in-laws for support reasons have decided to move to the midlands to be near family etc and if they do then tupps will have to go with them. Should I let her go?

I do need to get her lumps and bumps sorted and planned to do that before she moves, feel certain she will be well looked after and would be moving to a nice rural setting, with an older Springer for company and they do get on as two dogs. The house she will be going to is big and old and has two young boys living in it plus the in-laws so feel certain it will be a good home for her.

My heart says do not let her go hang on to her and do the best you can. My head says do what’s correct for tuppence let her go with the in-laws and have a good rest of life with them.

So some words of wisdom and guidance would be most appreciated by the ever wise and wonderful cocker’s forum.

Thanks Tuppence`s Dad. :'(

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: Tuppences Dad
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
So sorry to read of your dilemma  :-\  :'(
A permanent home with your inlaws does sound like a very happy and fulfilled one, even though for you it would be a very heart wrenching decision.
Putting on my sensible head I would say let her go :-\ you know she will be safe and loved and have all the company she could wish for.
Is there any way you could have her for the occasional weekend, if you made the decision to let her move?
I wish you all the best, whatever decision you make, for you, and for Tuppence  : :bigarmhug:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
my heart goes out to you at such a sad time  :'( :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
suggestions for Tuppence would either be to find a good, reliable dog walker that can spend at least an hour with her whilst you are at work & also perhaps ask a neighbour if they wouldn't mind popping in with her for 20 mins a day  :-\
the alternative would be to let her live with your inlaws & either visit Tuppence or have her to stay some weekends  :-\
it does sound like they could give her a lovely home  :shades: :luv:

i am just so sorry for you having to make this decision & so soon after losing your wife  :'( :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
thinking of you both  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:08:19 AM »
Hi Gary
I keep looking at your post and
have started to reply a couple of
times but I don't really know what to
say and don't know what I would do
in your circumstances either.
Sorry, that's no help at all  :016:
steffxxx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
Really heartbreaking decision for you to make so sending you  :bigarmhug:

Lots of dogs are left during the day but I know my Odie who hasn't been left for long, wouldn't cope very well with it.  I feel guilty if I have to leave him on rare occasions for 4 hours!  At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable knowing you've got enough support during the day for her, so both you and Tuppence aren't stressing. 

It's difficult to advise someone on things like this, but it sure sounds like she'd have a lovely life with your in laws.  Good luck whichever way you decide to go :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
Ninasmum and bluebell have said everything I would.

I'm so sorry that you are having to make this decision so soon after losing your wife  :'(
I think that you have to think with your head, even though it will be very sad; what's best for tuppence is the most important.

My girls are left for 3-4 hours twice a day - they have each other for company and in morning and at lunchtime they get lots of play (and walks if I can). Then they get at least an hour in the evening for a walk and hazel gets extra play being a youngster.

I work 5 minutes from home. I'm able to work at home at least twice a week.

A 50 mile trip is a long way, then there is traffic, weather problems, what if you have to work late?
Even with a dog sitter/ walker or neighbours popping in I don't think that it's the right choice... As cruel and uncaring as that makes me sound towards your situation  :'(

Big hugs for you and tuppence x
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
Can't add any wise advice, but would like to say that my thoughts are with you.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
Only you know what decision is right for YOU and Tuppence - my heart goes out to you making such a difficult decision. 

You dont say how soon the in-laws are moving, doyou have time and what to 'try' keeping Tuppence with you and trial dog walkers etc to see how Tuppence actually reacts rather than make your decision with no 'experience'.  Mopving with the In-laws no matter how good the home may not be as good for her as staying in her familiar surroundings abet with a different/new routine. I am sorry if I am not putting this very clearly and I wish you all the best with your decision  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
So very sorry you have this heartbreaking decision to make - putting on my sensible head, it does sound as if Tuppence would have a brilliant home, with company, walks and lots of love.  Many years ago I let my labrador go to live with my parents - she wasn't happy with lots of little children around, and I had a big family and lots of visitors.  They retired to the Lake District and took Nell with them, she had the most brilliant life there and was so happy, I know I did the right thing for her.
You will miss Tuppence terribly, but you will know you put her first.  Sending you both a big hug.

Offline garygttdi

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
Hi all as per normal much love and kindness being shown by the gang on hear so a big thank you.

Well I have allowed my head to make the decision and decided my heart for now will just have to take a back seat on this one. What’s best in all this is Tuppence`s future and her happiness, so I think she should move with the in-laws. She will be well cared for loved and have a good life with people that she knows. Think she may take a couple of days to settle in but I suspect she will be fine. After all its only 3 hours by car so I can go and see her as often as I can.

Just phoned the vets to book her in for her operation so she is all sorted before she moves. Its just one kicking after another just now, thanks for all the kind words and support. :-\

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »
I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. My heart goes out to you, it really does.

It will hurt to say goodbye to Tuppence but you are right, it sounds like she will have a wonderful life and continue to be shown so much love.

You're both in my thoughts

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
Bless you sweetheart ; your
situation is so so difficult.
We keep you and Tuppence
in our thoughts and prayers.
 :bigarmhug:for both of you.
steffnelliexxx

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »
To say you are caught between a rock and a hard place is putting it mildly after what you have been through. You are obviously a caring peson and think the world of Tuppance. To be honest I think that you are doing the kindest most caring thing for Tuppance. I have never thought it right to leave an animal for long lengths of time , I waited until I went part time and finally retiring before having Cassie come into my life. You could always take  Tuppance back if it doesn't work  and as someone suggested try and get a dog walker/sitter etc.
Take heart in knowing that, whatever you do, you  trying to do the right thing by your little dog
X

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
So sorry you have had to make such a heart wrenching decision :'( and so soon too :'(
Tuppence :luv: is a very lucky girl to have you as her Dad :angel:
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Janet & Poppy

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »
Cannot begin to imagin ehow you are feeling right now but hope a few of these go some way to easing your heartache :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:.  
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce