Author Topic: Newbie - should I or shouldn't i!  (Read 5829 times)

Offline Clare B

Re: Newbie - should I or shouldn't i!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 10:45:17 AM »
I think Luna is lovely :luv: actually it was my Flo's mothers name.

Offline puddsmum

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »
I have 2 show-type cockers & both are completely different.
Roly is laid-back, loves everyone & everything, & thinks everyone in the park is just there to see him! :005:  He's a bit of a girly-boy, & can take a walk or leave it, & in the park just sniffs & potters about, & nothing can entice him to pick up a ball, let alone chase it!
Barkley, on the other paw, is best described as 'a nutter'!  He'll chase a ball all day long, & in the park is always hopeful that it's swift season ... we then just have to take up residence on the nearest bench, & wait for the birdies to get fed-up of tormenting him, & go back to their trees!  He tolerates other people & dogs, aslong as they leave him alone & he doesn't particularly like kids (don't know why, but rehomed him when he was around 17 months old).  He barks at everything, & chases everything, & wants to be with me all the time (when he's not chasing balls & birdies).
... then there's Daisy the sprocker (springer X cocker) which I'd advise you not to get if you've never had a spaniel before - I got her knowing what she was likely to be like ... she's completely bonkers, & hyper, but best mates with Barkley, so they can chase balls & wrestle together ... she will also wrestle with my daughter's staffie, who after a while, goes to his mum to sit on her knee, as Daisy's way too rough for him!! :005:

Yes they do moult, but, aswell as having the spaniels, I've also got a black lab, who moults more than the other 3 put together!!  I'd recommend a cocker to anyone, as they're such lovely little dogs. :luv:

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »
yes Indie definitely fits into the 'bonkers' category - especially on walks. she'll run and run and play and chase etc. get home though and she crashes out and sleeps :) and then goes torments dad in the garden  :005:

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »
Dare I ask...what is the wall of death????

Currently researching breeders in the Surrey area - if anyone can recommend anyone from the midlands downwards it would be much appreciated! Think we have decided to go for a black one seeing as Neville is a goldy colour. Been throwing about names as well - what does everyone think of Trevor?! Neville is named after Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter, and Neville Longbottom has a pet toad called Trevor! Thought it might be fitting! Plus we call Neville 'little Nev' so we could have Little Nev and Little Trev hehe!

The wall of death is when they have a mad few minutes and run extremely fast in a small area.  For example Alfie runs round the coffee table diverts round to the other part of the lounge and back to the coffee table in a circuit at about 30mph, well it feels like 30mph.  It is hilarious to watch and they all seem to do it.  I've prob not described it very well here so anyone else feel like describing their cockers wall of death  :005: Called the wall of death I think because it is similar to those motorbikes that go fast up a wall kept going by gravity.  :005:

Offline merridah

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »
Dare I ask...what is the wall of death????

Currently researching breeders in the Surrey area - if anyone can recommend anyone from the midlands downwards it would be much appreciated! Think we have decided to go for a black one seeing as Neville is a goldy colour. Been throwing about names as well - what does everyone think of Trevor?! Neville is named after Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter, and Neville Longbottom has a pet toad called Trevor! Thought it might be fitting! Plus we call Neville 'little Nev' so we could have Little Nev and Little Trev hehe!

The wall of death is when they have a mad few minutes and run extremely fast in a small area.  For example Alfie runs round the coffee table diverts round to the other part of the lounge and back to the coffee table in a circuit at about 30mph, well it feels like 30mph.  It is hilarious to watch and they all seem to do it.  I've prob not described it very well here so anyone else feel like describing their cockers wall of death  :005: Called the wall of death I think because it is similar to those motorbikes that go fast up a wall kept going by gravity.  :005:

Ahh yes I know it well! Neville does similar but the only problem is is that we have laminate flooring so he can never get a good grip!! Needlesss to say once he does get a grip he does a sort of wheel spin and cant stop!! Hours of entertainment!

Offline puddsmum

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »
Years ago I had a c.a.t which literally did the wall (& ceiling) of death!  It was when blown vinyl wallpaper was in trend, & the c.a.t in question was having a mad 5 minutes, ran part way up the wall, realised this nice thick wallpaper gave him a good grip & kept on going up the wall, along the rsj & down the other wall ... it was all a bit scary but funny at the same time! :005:

Offline DinkyDewi

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
Neville... Awesome name!

My mother has a cocker x springer spaniel. He is a rescue so I couldn't tell you how he was as a pup, however, he's a great dog. The most affectionate, cuddley dog i've ever lived with. He isn't without his problems, all from his previously life so I can't judge as to whether that is because he's a cocker or what has happened (he has three legs, was starved etc) and as my dog is a collie i'm a little biased as to the 'trainability' of the breed. He's not the brightest spark but loves to learn, when he feels like it I must add :D As for shedding I wouldn't notice over the explosions of fluff my collie kicks out!

I'm new to cocker 'ownership' and as he's a rescue he's not your typical cocker but i'd get another, well I would if I wasn't a collie addict :D

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:49 AM »
How long do you work during the day?
We leave about 8.50 in the morning, between us come home at 1 - 3 and then my OH is home half 5. Mon to fri.

Four hours is to long to leave a puppy. If you are housetraining they need to be taken out every 20 minutes when they are awake. Cockers thrive off human company and as such most reputable breeders won't home to full time workers  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline merridah

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
How long do you work during the day?
We leave about 8.50 in the morning, between us come home at 1 - 3 and then my OH is home half 5. Mon to fri.

Four hours is to long to leave a puppy. If you are housetraining they need to be taken out every 20 minutes when they are awake. Cockers thrive off human company and as such most reputable breeders won't home to full time workers  :-\.
We took two weeks off when Neville was a pup and then I took him to work with me for a bit until I could get him in a routine and then he was fine after that. Probs would do the same for Cocker as the routine worked quite well.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »
Cockers can be great fun but they are people dogs and as such they can demand your attention far more than other breeds of dog, but and I can only vouch for show cockers they can take or leave a walk its more important for them to be with their owner than go for a walk, but if you are offering they can walk and walk with the best of them.

I agree to a point but also feel that they need walking every day and cockers aren't a take it or leave it dog re going for a walk
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline anneclarke

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
hi there i have had quite a few diffrent breeds of dogs over the years from great danes to collies from shelties to caviliar king charles so as you can see a wide variety.My last dog a collie had to be put down 3 yrs ago  and it has taken this long to decide if i could cope with the pain again.I now have a 5 1/2 month old black cocker who is my pride and joy.Everybody warned me about them but after alot of reading i decided to go for it.It has to be the best decision i have ever made the love that comes from this breed of dog i have never experienced in any other breed and its so true he is always checking up on me if i am out of sight even in the toilet lol but i have now trained him to lay by door and wait us girls need some peace lol just starting the testing times now so know i have alot of work to put in but i must say every day is a joy with him.Oh by the way his name is Boris but i love the names you are looking at good luck with everything you do anne