Author Topic: Whose dog is allowed on the sofa?  (Read 11517 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Whose dog is allowed on the sofa?
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »
Is allowed up on the sofa ?
We have managed to keep Riley off it in the 12 weeks we,ve had him. Partly as he was to small to jump up anyway and never tried.
Now he can jump up and sometimes tries on a night time, never during the day so far.
Hubby has been letting him up as we were busy decorating and he was sleeping in the living room.
Ours is a lovely 2 year old fabric settee , had I known I would have got leather again but hey ho.

Must admit its been lovely the odd night we have had him up snoozing beside us. In two minds whether to bite the bullet and buy some cheap throws, but that would mean I wouldnt be able to really leave it uncovered and it would be constantly covered up  :'(

What do you all do ?

Offline montsmum

• Site Member
Re: Whose furbaby
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »
Milo has full access to the settee, I'm afraid! We have throws.

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »
ummm...sorry to say I'm guilty of letting my three on the sofa :embarassed:
I have a fairly small house (almost a two up, two down) and the dogletts sleep in the living room and have the run of the downstairs when I'm at work....
the house is too small to shut them out of the lounge and when I am out they would probably get on there anyway
I too have a fabric sofa (did used to have leather, but cats claws and dogletts trying to make beds put pay to that) and have throws on mainly when the weather is bad and they are a little damp or dirty, otherwise its not necessary as everything I own is dog coloured anyway  :005:
I'm suree its possible to train them not to do it even if you're not there, but personally I don't mind and quite like little cocker snuggles  :luv:

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »
I am

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
I gave up any idea of having pristine sofas in 1987 when our first Cocker was a puppy :D

William and Louis are allowed on the sofas in the daytime unless I'm out and they're on their own. I have a fleece blanket on one end of the biggest sofa and that was ideal when it was only William. He'd lay on it and cuddle up next to me, or just cuddle up on my lap :luv:. It's more difficult now that I have Louis as the two of them never cuddle up together and prefer to be either side of me.

I've always had fabric covered sofas with covers that can be removed and machine washed about twice a year. I vacuum the seat cushions everyday and use biological washing liquid to sponge off the odd mark that won't vacuum off. The current sofas are about 9 years old and still looking pretty good. Non doggy visitors like my brother haven't complained about the state or smell of them (and believe me, my brother would tell me if he thought my house looked/smelled too doggy) :005:

Offline Nicola81

• Dexter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
Dexter has claimed the settee as his own!  So naughty but couldn’t get him off it if I tried!  The only problem is he claims anybody else’s settee as his own too!  That is why we call him the “Dexter Monster” :wasntme:

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
My two are allowed on the furniture ~ I have throws on the settee and armchair, they are fairly old anyway.  I love having the dogs snuggled up next to me  :luv:

Offline redlottie

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »
Yes both of mine are, on a leather suite covered with throws.

When we first had Otto we didn't let him but then I found I spent half my life sitting on the floor so I could have cuddles so in the end just decided to let them on.  The throws keep it clean and they havent really damaged it in anyway albiet the way they bound across it think its only a matter of time until the seams start to give

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 04:39:35 PM »
Ruben is also allowed on the sofa and Raisin will to. We have ours covered with throws also and that does seem to manage the hair problem quite well. Like the others regular hoovering and cleaning any marked spots works well. This is a fabric sofa and yes - replacements may well be leather - but so far not too much of an issue and I love it when Ruben cuddles into me. :luv:

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
Re: Whose dog is allowed on the sofa?
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »
All fur babies are allowed on our sofa and chairs  :luv: I have removable covers and throws  ;)

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
All of mine are allowed on the sofa, though they usually only want to be on there if we are  :005:

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »
Another one here who is allowed on the sofa  :005:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
Oh dear, Riley is grinning as I read this aloud to hubby  >:D

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »
More worries bout kids being on the sofa..Gsd did nothing to it kids have ripped it to bits  ph34r >:D xx

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 05:15:03 PM »
I think you may as well 'give in' now & let Riley on the sofa  :luv: :005:
One way or the other he will weedle his way on to it, so i would just buy some throws to protect the sofa  :shades: :P
Ours are allowed on the sofa & tbh it would be impossible to try to keep them off  ;)  as long as they are happy i don't care  :021:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie