Author Topic: Whose dog is allowed on the sofa?  (Read 11514 times)

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
Re: Whose dog is allowed on the sofa?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works now...mine are NOT allowed on the sofas  ph34r. This is in part because we are a big family ourselves and need all the seats (there are 6 of us) and I have invested in gorgeous dog beds and fleeces for them to snooze on. I am intent that I will get my monies worth  ;) Saying that, I and the children spend a lot of time sitting and playing with them on the floor, in fact I spend most of my time on the floor lazing on the rug with the dogs in front of the fire  ph34r

It is an individual thing and I don't think any answer is right or wrong. What I do know, is that once you allow them on, it is very difficult to go back. You need to decide one way or another with Riley and stick with it I think.

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Darwin

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Am I the only meanie on COL
It's one of our house rules  "No Dogs on the Sofa's"  :police:

Offline RegalRustyCharm

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »
Lucy has always been allowed on the sofa since she was a puppy. I don't see anything wrong with it. The only rule is that she's not allowed on if she's going to start jumping about, using the sofa as a springboard onto the next one or try to dig holes in the cushions, then she has to get off!

We have leather sofas, cream! well used to be anyway  :005:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »
Brodie is allowed on the sofa and enjoys stealing our seats. I can still remember my childhood cocker, Benji. My mum never let him on the sofa but the moment she left the room up he'd go :lol2:. He always had a sixth sense about when she was about to come back and would sneak off before she caught him :005:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
My two have always been allowed on the settee.  It appears that Lyla sleeps best when her head is on my feet!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 05:33:50 PM »
Ollie is allowed on the sofa, his rule. I gave up arguing long ago :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
After my wife spent 13 years with our first spaniel tucked down the side of her chair we resolved  things would be different with our subsequent cockers.

None of them since have been allowed on the furniture, and none have attempted to break the rules after initial training. None of them held it against us, or have been the worse for having boundaries.

Our current cocker, young William (now 4 months) is not allowed on our laps or on the chairs, if we want to cuddle him, whilst he is still a puppy, we get on the floor. Dogs are easily trained not to jump on furniture, but it does require consistency by all the household members. 'Furniture' dogs are simply being indulged by their owners, more for the benefit of their owners I suspect. ;)

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
Both the boys are allowed on the settees, whch athough old are covered with throws, i love having them up for cuddles  :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »
Well I am proud to indulge my two.......
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 05:41:17 PM »
id like to say no & still want no but jethro has other idea & im getting to the stage of giving up!
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »
A sofa's not complete without a cocker or two on it  :blink:

Don't know what I'd do without Holly curled up on me or hubby in the evening, best time of the day  :luv:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »
Ruby is allowed on the sofa BUT not uninvited and if i were to come in the room and she was laying on it i think my eyes would pop out of my head with shock,she just wouldn't do it (at least i trained something well  :angel: )

We have had this debate many times on COL and it was my preference not to let her up uninvited in case any of us were sitting with a hot drink,or non doggy adults and children may be visiting etc,not to mention she has 3 of her own beds to choose from  :shades:

It has worked well and she sits and puts her paw on the edge of the sofa or gives the stare to be invited up.  I have a throw folded into a large square and she knows that's for her but ends up flopping on me anyway.

The main thing what ever you decide is consistency,Don't say no to them then sometimes they can please themselves it just confuses the dog.  :blink:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
Bingley is allowed on the sofa, but he has a pretty solid 'floor' command should we want him off for any reason. I love evenings with him dozing next to me  :luv:

Alternatively, do a LilyFreya and get him his own sofa  :shades:

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »
Tilly and Erin are allowed to snuggle up beside us on the sofa.....we have  leather ones and no damage has been done and it is 5yrs old...easy to wipe down when required

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »
all of my pack are allowed on the sofas