Author Topic: Scooby  (Read 9798 times)

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: Scooby
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »
well done Karen ... you are a little  :angel:

I hope you get a response from one of the rescues soon.
What a terrible thing for such a beautiful little boy who is only a baby :(
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 06:32:32 AM »
well done for saving him  :angel: , i cant believe someone would just put a pup to sleep like that i dont think any of my vets would unless they said he had really bitten , im sure one of the rescues will get back to you soon
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
We3ll done you for taking Scooby into your home.    I hope that he will find his forever home soon.

Gwyneth Colin and Megan

Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »
Managed to contact Nessr this morning and spoke with Cynthia. She would like to speak to the original owner first hand to get the full story. I hope he didn't bite as he can be rehomed if that is the case, may not be rehomable if he did but still options available. Its just a waiting game now as I've asked the ones who dropped him off to get the owners number so we can get the full picture and once Cynthia has the full story she may be able to help.

I know he resource guards as we had a few incidents throughout yesterday with Scooby and my dogs. The resource incidents focussed on his food dish, a space on the floor next to my feet, toys and my own dogs' beds (all triggered by Scooby and for all the bravado mine show none have retaliated with him). I've had to make adjustments to minimise his issues and keep all dogs safe.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »
Fingers crossed he can be rehomed, it must be hard work for you not knowing the full story of the issues he has. Its such a shame his owners haven't got on top of his training from day one & have caused this young boy issues. Hope you can sort something out soon for your own family and that this lad gets a good new home.

:bigarmhug:
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
Fingers crossed that he didn't actually nip anyone  :-\

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
Hi - any news on Scooby? Did Cynthia manage to speak to his original owner?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »
Yeah, he rang me and then rang Cynthia as she requested.

He says he had Scooby for 8 wks, the first 4 were fine and then he said Scooby has bitten him. Cynthia doesn't want him because she says he has bitten. His owner said he has been frightened of him for the last 4 wks and I'm assuming Scooby has spent most of that time separated from the family because the man was frightened he would bite his child. I now know a behaviourist he rang, but who never saw Scooby said its likely to be rage so he should be put down. Hence reason for going to be PTS.

We've had him since Sunday night now and this is how its gone.

Sunday:
Greeted by very friendly, giddy, confident pup. Jumped up, wagging tail, trying to lick. Spent some time in back garden meeting my 4 and he just wanted to play with all of them. He has little concentration and didn't respond to his name.

Monday:
Had been crated over night (which I suspect he's never been used to). Bedding dry and he had settled pretty quick considering it was a new environment with a bunch of strange dogs.
Took him for good over the fields walk with mine and he had a ball. Let him off lead and he stayed close because ours do. He met a few dogs and wanted to play with them all.
Had breakfast when he got back. All dogs in same area, mine finished first, he didn't seem to want his so he moved away and I put his bowl next to him because I knew mine would eat it given half a chance. He then growled loudly when one of mine went near it. I used distraction and removed bowl.
He later growled at one of mine as he lay under the table next to my feet and then later on again when all of mine had moved off the baskets he sat on it alone and growled at mine for trying to get back on. He did go for them but again distraction was used and he was crated.
He was as good as gold for the rest of the day, he had another walk and was crated if he had food.

Tuesday:
Decided to crate him today when he wasn't doing something, because if he was guarding I didn't want anything to escalate. He again had 2 walks, played fine with mine in the back garden and was fine with our family, even wrestling on the floor with my boys.
He only seems to want to play all the time. He was easily distracted from my ducks, bearing in mind there is only a flimsy 3ft fence that separates him from them (they are normally free). He is learning to come to his name and not jump up at kitchen units or pinch items of clothing (socks have been a thing he was eating in his home).

Wednesday:
Decided to see what he was like out of crate again. He spent nearly all of the day un crated (apart from bed time, meal times and our meal times). He was fine, he shared the dogs beds and no further growling, he still wants to play with every one. He is so easily distracted that any mischief can easily be averted. Had 2 good walks, tickles me because as soon as he comes back he's ready again. He is good with us and had no issues with food today.

Thursday:
Good night again, he whimpers as you leave the room, but settles within 5 mins and sleeps quietly all night even if people get up or come back down to kitchen. He ate is food this morning in same place as others, he ate it all up and he actually finished first, he went to put his nose near another dish and I just told him no and he left it. I was able to take bowl straight away without incident and remove it. He has played and walked with my dogs and I left them all in the kitchen together whilst I went upstairs for a quick shower and again when I got down they were all resting. He's always happy to see you and he jumps up to greet you, like mine do and even that doesn't provoke any jealousy or growling from him.

I'm not saying he didn't bite but for me he's been misunderstood. He is a lovely lad who in with the right owners would come on leaps and bounds. I did think he may need to be an only dog but so far he's proved he could live peacefully with other dogs and probably it was first day nerves, been in a house with all those new dogs. Cynthia says she wouldn't take him because the owner told her he bit and she also said the only dogs she's had bites off have been red cockers. Doesn't leave many options, but in my heart having never met him up until Sunday, this dog imho is a good dog who hasn't had the right home.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
What a sad tale Bluegirl  :'( from your experiences with him it does sound like he has been misunderstood. I can't believe the behaviourist recommended he be PTS without even seeing him.

Sounds like with the right owners this little chap could be a wonderful pet. Broke my heart to read that, wish I could take him  :'(

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
I think the comment about red cockers is very sweeping and I am surprised to hear that from Cynthia. Like I said the other day, he is only a baby and surely any bad behaviour can be unlearnt at this stage. It sounds like you are working wonders already....do you think Steve would let you keep him? ph34r :005:

I hope some rescue takes him on and rehomes him to someone just like you who can bring out all the good that is so obviously inside him xx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
Poor lad :016:
Karen , am I understanding this right;
the person who gave him to you has
had him 8 wks but he's 6 months old..
so he's been somewhere else as well.
No wonder he's got issues :-\
steffxxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
Poor lad :016:
Karen , am I understanding this right;
the person who gave him to you has
had him 8 wks but he's 6 months old..
so he's been somewhere else as well.
No wonder he's got issues :-\
steffxxx

He was born 6th feb 2012 and he bought him from the breeder at 16 wks old (breeder told him he was 11wks old). He says he had him 4 wks and he was great, perfect even, he took him out, he played with other dogs, he was throwing things for him, you get the picture, then after 4wks with him he says that Scooby bit him. He did admit that scooby is a sock thief and he was forever getting them off him and he had ate a few too. Sound like Scooby growled then bit him on one such occasion. He was with the new owner on 26th may because that's when he had the first injection at their vets.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »
I think the comment about red cockers is very sweeping and I am surprised to hear that from Cynthia. Like I said the other day, he is only a baby and surely any bad behaviour can be unlearnt at this stage. It sounds like you are working wonders already....do you think Steve would let you keep him? ph34r :005:

I hope some rescue takes him on and rehomes him to someone just like you who can bring out all the good that is so obviously inside him xx

Sadly he won't agree to keep him.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
This is Scooby again. Difficult to get pics because his head flits all over the place and he generally can't keep still. He has lots of puppy energy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline fr1day

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »
Have you tried contacting CAESSR? We were in touch with them last summer when we were looking to get a rescue, and they were really super. John has several spaniels himself, and definitely seemed to understand the spaniel mentality!

Even though we ended up getting our 2nd from somewhere else, I still check their website quite often and they seem to have quite a few come through who have bitten. I'm sure they take dogs who have bitten on a case-by-case basis, but seeing as they obviously don't refuse a dog for having bitten they might be worth a shot.

Hope something comes off for you and Scooby soon! Think it's a wonderful thing that you're doing for him!