Author Topic: Wouldn't it be nice...  (Read 1240 times)

Offline debbiedaywalker

Re: Wouldn't it be nice...
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
About 2 weeks ago on Sunday morning we walked Charlie our 13y/o cocker along the beach.  We go early to get it quiet and drive along to the far end so it is quiet.  After an hour we were on our way back.  Both OH and I had backpacks on with rocks in them for the Garden (dont ask) so we were weighted down.  From no where this huge bundle of muscle came running up, now face to face Charlie is fine snif snif howdy doody but if they go round to his rear end he will react.  No owner in sight dog determined to get at Charlie who snapped at it (missing of course) OH lifted Charlie up in his arms at 13y/o with back issues and a grade 5 heart murmur he didnt need the hassle.  Still the dog was jumping up at OH to get to Charlie I ended up getting in btween OH and the dog and lashing out at it.  Finally guy in his 20's shows up and says the eternal words "he only wants to play" I glared at him and said "Well at 13y/o and 13kgs in weight Charlie does not want your 25kg bundle of muscle jumping all over him.".  Wait for the punch line he then says "but he doesnt know any better" Dog help us I said I dont expect him to know any better you should teach him good behaviour it is called Training.  At that point he clipped on the dogs lead and walked away muttering to himself, leaving us knackered calming Charlie down and we still had sand dunes to climb and a fair walk back to the car. 

It is so wrong that these people can be left in charge of a powerful weapon, without even putting any basic training into it.
It should be law that every dog and their owner have to pass a basic training/responsible owner exam. Also perhaps 'friendly dogs only' areas?
I hope that Charlie has got over that ordeal, poor fella just wants a quiet life at his age.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »

What makes me angry is that each attack from the two dogs (both owned by the same person) happened in the street when the other dogs and Brodie were on their leads and unable to run off.

Have the police been involved? If it's happened a few times and it's the same dogs and same owner then surely the police could do something? Taking pictures of the dogs/owner in question might help.

Yes they have - it took five known attacks for them to finally seize the first dog, who was sadly destroyed (that was five chances the owner had to put his dog on a lead and under control >:(). After Brodie was attacked they did look at prosecuting the owner under the DDA but in the end the case was handed to the Dog Warden who placed the dog on a Dog Control Notice. I have heard rumours that - despite the fact that the dog should now legally be on a lead and muzzled - he has been spotted running around offlead in the street >:D. Thankfully for the last few weeks no one has seen or heard from them so I am hoping they have left the area (although feel sorry for the dogs in whatever place they have moved to!)

Got to say, the police were great with me - but I was given the impression that the chances of him actually getting charged were low. Goodness knows how he wasn't with his first dog. Sadly, it was the dogs that suffered from his carelessness.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »

What makes me angry is that each attack from the two dogs (both owned by the same person) happened in the street when the other dogs and Brodie were on their leads and unable to run off.

Have the police been involved? If it's happened a few times and it's the same dogs and same owner then surely the police could do something? Taking pictures of the dogs/owner in question might help.

Yes they have - it took five known attacks for them to finally seize the first dog, who was sadly destroyed (that was five chances the owner had to put his dog on a lead and under control >:(). After Brodie was attacked they did look at prosecuting the owner under the DDA but in the end the case was handed to the Dog Warden who placed the dog on a Dog Control Notice. I have heard rumours that - despite the fact that the dog should now legally be on a lead and muzzled - he has been spotted running around offlead in the street >:D. Thankfully for the last few weeks no one has seen or heard from them so I am hoping they have left the area (although feel sorry for the dogs in whatever place they have moved to!)

Got to say, the police were great with me - but I was given the impression that the chances of him actually getting charged were low. Goodness knows how he wasn't with his first dog. Sadly, it was the dogs that suffered from his carelessness.

Thank goodness the police are taking these incidents seriously now Jenny. Like you say, unfortunately it is the poor dog(s) that come off the worst. Last month, not far from us, there were two staffies that escaped from their garden and were randomly attacking passers-by. Ten people were attacked and eight needed hospital treatment.
Obviously the dogs have been destroyed but I cannot imagine what sort of life they must have endured to make them react like that.
Luckily the owner has been 'named and shamed' and is awaiting sentence, but it certainly won't be the death sentence. (unfortunately)

Offline Carol09

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »
As much as we love our dogs, some of your comments are probably reasons why we wouldn't have any more  :'(.  I worry about attacks on our dogs, i'll be the first to admit that ours have not got 100% recall but they are the best they have ever been.

Last Thursday we went to the beach, met 6 dogs in total, all off leads but on seperate occasions and they all went up to ours, no problems, they played and went on there way. However, I would not know what to do if it had been different.

Another thing that puts me off dog ownership is the continuous battle we get over dog poo and the bad name we get by those who do not pick up  >:D.  I think over the next few years we won't be allowed in as many places any more, parks and main beaches are already targeted but I think there will be more to come.

Plus, I don't like certain breeds running up to me or my dogs, I'm afraid Staffies are one of them, yes they can be lovely and gentle, but for me, even Staffie puppies send my heart racing and I am scared stiff.  I totally understand both sides of the coin though cause people don't like our Duggie at times being GSDx, but he's less harmful than my Cocker  :005:

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 12:49:48 PM »
As much as we love our dogs, some of your comments are probably reasons why we wouldn't have any more  :'(.  I worry about attacks on our dogs, i'll be the first to admit that ours have not got 100% recall but they are the best they have ever been.

Last Thursday we went to the beach, met 6 dogs in total, all off leads but on seperate occasions and they all went up to ours, no problems, they played and went on there way. However, I would not know what to do if it had been different.

Another thing that puts me off dog ownership is the continuous battle we get over dog poo and the bad name we get by those who do not pick up  >:D.  I think over the next few years we won't be allowed in as many places any more, parks and main beaches are already targeted but I think there will be more to come.

Plus, I don't like certain breeds running up to me or my dogs, I'm afraid Staffies are one of them, yes they can be lovely and gentle, but for me, even Staffie puppies send my heart racing and I am scared stiff.  I totally understand both sides of the coin though cause people don't like our Duggie at times being GSDx, but he's less harmful than my Cocker  :005:

That is so sad to hear that you feel like that Carol.  I do know what you mean about irresponsible owner's who do not clear up after their dogs - I usually say 'would you like a bag?' and shame them into picking it up.
Unfortunately for Staffies they are the current breed of choice for a lot of thugs, these thugs give the breed a bad name.
I think that I am feeling ultra protective at the moment because of having a puppy, and not wanting him to be attacked, like my previous two have been. I just cannot trust owners of aggressive/non puppy friendly dogs to keep them under control, so I have decided to walk in quieter places, we found a lovely place at the weekend where we had several fields all to ourselves.