Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 02:09:39 AM »
We lost our Daisy on Saturday of this week very unexpectedly, not a days illness, just her time, yes I have other dogs but am still very upset and somebody only has to say something nice to me and I'm a blubbering wreck. even Poppsies pm to me started me off again.  I'm not looking to keep/get another for a long while yet, but not sure I could go for another orange as I would be comparing them to both Rosie/Daisy who we have lost over the past couple of years.

If you feel the time is right, then go for it, a family had a pup from me years ago, a blue roan who they called Izzie, she sadly passed away at a young age and her owners came back to me wanting another blue roan and they wanted to call it Izzie.  ph34r  I did have a litter at the time, but told her I only had an orange girl available, 6 months after taking Daizy home, she thanked me, said at the time she was trying to replace her and was glad I had convinced her to have the orange instead.

Offline beanbag

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »
I dont think there is a right or wrong answer but its all perfectly normal.

My family dog died about 3 and a half years ago and she was the perfect pooch. It broke our hearts when she passed and my parents house never felt the same without her in it. My dad looked at dogs for at least 2 years without making the big step to get one. Finally in August of this year he took the step after i gave him the number for a breeder.

I think he felt like he was betraying Ambers memory, and that in some way it was wrong to get another dog incase it upset Amber in doggy heaven. Once my dad came to terms with the fact that it was ok to move, thats when he got Penny - his insane labxGSD. She is the complete opposite to Amber. Shes naughty and gets away with it  :005: But she fills that gap that was clearly there.

If getting a new pooch is right for you now then do :) Only you know, and like i said i dont think there is a right or a wrong answer.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »
Wendy, reading your post makes
my
heart ache for you, I was so determined
not to have any more dogs after losing
The General, I couldn't stand the
thought of going through the loss again...
but then along came Ellie and squirmed
her way into my heart, she was left with
us by someone else( >:D) perhaps it was
all fate, who knows?
You will know when the time is right,
you're hurting right now but you won't
feel like that forever...
the time will come for you to be
able to open up your heart and let
love come running on furry legs :blink:
steffxxx

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »
Wendy, as all the posters keep saying, you will know when the time is right. It is perfectly normal to want to get a new dog quickly, just as it is perfectly normal to wait.
I have done both & for me it helped more when I got a dog quickly, but as some others have posted you may not bond straight away, particularly after such a tragic incident. When Daisy died suddenly, I waited 7 weeks before I got Danny and whilst I loved him to bits it took 3 or 4 weeks until I really bonded with him. When Danny died and we rescued Brodie the next day, it was instant bonding, he was everything I wanted. A Black & Tan cocker boy, so well trained, but unknown to us had an aggression problem, so when I had to return him after 5 weeks, it was actually worse than a bereavement, as I felt I had let him down, though I knew I hadn't. On the way home I checked kennel club registered breeders in our area and found Dennis. I instantly fell in love with him, but the bond took a couple of months to build up. Now Minnie, Dennis and I are a great team together. Have you considered rescuing a cocker? You may find that easier to work with. The main thing is, its your decision and only you will know when the time is right. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Offline CherryT

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
It is so normal to have that feeling!  When I lost my Lucy, even though she was 15 years old and deaf as a post, the grief was unbearable and I couldn't wait to get another dog.  I hated the house so empty, nothing seemed right and I became totally puppy obsessed. I desperately wanted a puppy to cuddle and love. - It took me 5 months but I actually think that was a bit too long, it was just the way it turned out, but do give yourself some time.  It is a horrid bit this - sending you lots of love and hugs! C x

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
There is no right or wrong time. When we have lost a dog in the past we always hold off getting another then all of a sudden it just seems right. I always feel that my house is incomplete with out a dog.

Me and Sue always go for a different colour / type as we feel you can never replace the one you have lost.

We lost Dime last November and when we started to look for a pup this august we both said another cocker but the pup cant be black and white like Dimey. Teal has been with us 3 months now, the exact opposite in looks and character to Dime but even though they are so different every now and again poor Teal is called Dime.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 12:30:17 PM »
When I took Minnie and Dennis for their KC treatment, the vet unconsciously called Dennis , DANNY, and was devastated. I said its ok, but she had been treating Danny for 12 months on chemo for his lymphoma. I still call them both by previous dogs names, one who died 16 years ago. She knew how badly I had taken Danny and Brodies death and that I have been on the happy pills ever since.

I think I am over it now, but the GP wants me to stay on them until Spring. I must admit I did have a tear in my eye this morning when a photo of Minnie and Brodie showed up on "random photos"

Offline lottiescat

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »
We are all different and I don't feel that there is a right or wrong way to cope .After Holly was pts at 4 ,I just didn't feel that I could take anymore and the hurt was so dreadful. Even so I was searching around for another one to help and there she was, Holly an unwanted Xmas present. Holly is not Lottie , their characters are so different, but they both needed a home and getting Holly gave me something to focus on which did help. I miss Lottie so much and regret the treatment that she received by humans, but she would have welcomed Holly into her home I am sure.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »
We lost Katie 12 (almost 13 years ago) and when I was looking for my puppy I was sure I didn't want a black and white (black and white and blue roan are the same in my mind when talking about this - I just didn't want the same colour combination)...

Katie was a black and white; Charlie is a pale blue roan...I was NOT Looking to buy or for a b&w coloured one...but I saw his little face and that was it...

My dad for 12 years was saying another dog would replace Katie...now I have Charlie...my dad has come to the conclusion that he isn't a replacement...my dad is thoroughly smitten. Although I think he's less impressed at being called grandad :).

Although the man who didn't want a dog for 12 years...took Charlie out a day or so after I got him and pulled the car over to talk to two friends who walk their dogs past ours...he pulled over, pointed to Charlie and was telling them how great Charlie was...My mam was amazed...

What I'm getting at is my dad had said he never wanted another dog, but now he has a 'grandson' dog he loves him. It's all about grieving and how we do it differently; another dog for me was never a replacement, it was a new best friend.

No matter how hard you look, and even if you find an exact replica of Rosie, remember she won't be Rosie. If you get a dog to soon you'll be comparing, thinking new dog isn't as good as Rosie was. When you are in the frame of mind that the possibility of a new dog is a new best friend/family member then that is the right time to look.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »
My heart aches for you, but you are completely normal!  As everyone else has said, you must do what feels right for you.  We couldn't bear to be without a dog in the house, and, just a couple of weeks of moping around after losing Cassie, our 5 yr old GR, I told my OH that we could either continue to mope and feel bad, or we could get off our arses and start looking for another puppy to love.  And that's what we did - enter Ozzy!!!  He hasn't been easy by any means, and the horror of him losing his left eye so young and after we hadn't had him home very long, made us wonder if we were cursed never to have a 'healthy' dog, but we got through it and it's the best thing we could have done. And you'll get through it too.  Ozzy has helped us overcome our grief at losing Cassie and made us realise that we can love another dog just as we did Cassie.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 07:01:41 PM »
All I can say is that, from doing homechecks for rescue dogs for many homes where they've lost their old dog, people seem to fall into two types.  One type of person can lose a dog in the morning and be so bereft they're at the rescue in the afternoon looking for another (and I would fall into that type myself).  Others (like my OH) lose a dog and can't bear to even think of a replacement for months/years/a lifetime.  You have to go with your heart.  But what I think is that every dog anyone has ever owned would want their person to be happy and, if said happiness includes a dog, then they'd want you to replace them asap.  IYSWIM.  What bigger compliment can you pay a loved dog than to want another asap?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 07:30:30 PM »
Go with your heart, and if your heart says to start looking for a puppy then start looking. You may find that once you start to look you'll decide to wait a bit longer anyway, but you might equally feel that the time is now. There is no right or wrong amount of time in this situation, just whatever feels right for you.

No dog will ever replace Rosie or be exactly like her, but your new dog, when ever he or she comes along, will make a new bond all of it's own with you as get to know each other.
Elaine has said everything I was thinking.... go with your heart Wendy  :luv:

I agree with this too :-\

I have not yet gone through this with a dog but when I have lost a cat I have got another rescue cat very soon afterwards.  It is not a replacement the only way I feel able to fill that gap is by giving another cat a home  :-\

There is no such thing as "normal" - everyone is different and whatever you are feeling is"normal" for you :bigarmhug:
Julie and Watson

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »
My heart goes out to you.  :luv: :luv:

It is normal for you to want to fill the big void in your life.  This is what you will be doing.  You are not replacing your Rosie, just the void she has left.

Time is a great healer.....and time is what you need. 

I think that you would be 'helped' immensely by the love and affection of another little soul in your life.

Go with your heart......

I wish you lots of luck with your decision......and hope that it won't be too long before you can share some happy news.  You deserve that. Xxx

No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx