Author Topic: Muzzle for Cocker??????  (Read 8640 times)

Offline DanP

Muzzle for Cocker??????
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »
I wasn't sure where to post this so went for general.  I'm thinking of getting a muzzle for Willow.  She is in no way aggressive but when out walking will eat anything.  She response well to the "LEAVE" command but on the occasions I miss something she takes the "DROP" command as swallow it as fast as possible.  She has a dangerous taste for rubber and latex.  Not so bad in the longer days when I can walk her in fields but these short days mean its streets and park where she is picking up balloons, rubber gloves and babies dummies.  Shes not only into rubber, so to speak, she also likes apples and banana skins and I'm sure she has hoovered up some berries.

I like to give her a run off the lead each day and so am looking for a suitable muzzle to stop the dangerous eating rather then confine her to a lead.  Hope someone can help.

Offline fiona2

• Donator
Re: Muzzle for Cocker??????
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
baskerville muzzles are good and you can get the at pets at home i have to use one on my collie as he is fear aggressive

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
Hi A baskerville will suit your needs. A size 6 or 7 will probably fit well.

Offline Bidybidy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
Hi,

My friend's dog, would eat anything on a walk, even bits of concrete. Consequently, she often had an upset tummy, and of course, it could result in surgery. She discussed this with her vet, and an "open" muzzle was advised to be worn on walks. She did this, what a great result, no more eating things she shouldnt, and no more bad tummies. She doesnt need to now put it on her, during every walk, and sometimes just showing her dog the muzzle, as she goes to eat inappropriate things, stops her.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
Hi,

My friend's dog, would eat anything on a walk, even bits of concrete. Consequently, she often had an upset tummy, and of course, it could result in surgery. She discussed this with her vet, and an "open" muzzle was advised to be worn on walks. She did this, what a great result, no more eating things she shouldnt, and no more bad tummies. She doesnt need to now put it on her, during every walk, and sometimes just showing her dog the muzzle, as she goes to eat inappropriate things, stops her.

Interested in this, as Ozzy is dreadful, he picks up EVERYTHING, and sometimes doesn't even chew before swallowing it down.  Touch wood, he's only had one upset tummy so far,but it's only a matter of time!  His poo is always full of 'inedible stuff' - grit and small stones, paper, string, bits of plastic, bits of stick etc.  This makes it sound as if I just let him do it, but nothing could be further from the truth - I spend the majority of time on our walks trying to get him to swap whatever he's picked up for a treat.  But he's wise to this now, and just swallows whatever he has then expects a treat!  >:D 

What exactly is an 'open' muzzle?

Offline Bidybidy

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 07:49:02 AM »
Sorry I don't know the correct name for the open muzzle. It's brown, plastic and they can easily breathe with it on.

Our vets have them for sale but they are on sale at pet shops, eBay etc.

My friends dog is horrendous over eating anything on a walk, but the muzzle has really helped.

She even eats stones..so something had to be done, the vet said her eating could lead to a serious life saving op.

The muzzle has been excellent.

Reading above posts, it sounds like a Baskerville muzzle.

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:55:40 AM »
The open muzzle you may be thinking of is the 'Baskerville' muzzle. See here:

http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/dog-muzzles/1988-the-baskerville-muzzle-5017245304003.html
or here:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-dog-muzzles-c-628_810/baskerville-muzzle-p-506

Whichever muzzle you use the dog needs to be able to drink with it on and be able to vomit if necessary with it on. The Baskerville should be quite suitable.
To know them is to love them.....

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:44:24 AM »
Thanks for the info - although it looks awful!  Not sure I'll be able to bring myself to use one, although I'm sure it's good!!!

Offline RegalRustyCharm

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:41 AM »
I came across two cockers wearing muzzles the other day whilst walking Lucy in a local park. The two dogs were off the lead so came waddling over to us. The owner called out as her dogs approached me "they aren't aggressive, they just eat things they shouldn't". They clearly weren't unfriendly when they got to us but I have to say that my first thought when seeing them coming over was "oh no we are in for trouble here, theres two of them and they are not even on the lead!".
What I'm saying is- other people seem to use muzzles for various reasons but you may find that strangers assume wrongly that your dog is unfriendly so be prepared to explain to people why they are wearing one.
I do think they are a good idea when your dog eats anything and everything when out.

Offline JulieM

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »
After Florie had to have surgery to remove a swallowed milk bottle lid that she'd eaten whole on a walk >:D the consultant suggested a muzzle.

With some persistent training we have managed to get a reliable drop and leave so have so far avoided needing to go down the path of getting a muzzle- we had a 1 on 1 session with our dog trainer to get some tips. I suppose what I'm saying is whilst Florie is by no way cured, with training it can get better, so might be worth really working on this to see if you can get an improvement.

Either way after the stress, anguish and vet bill of nearly £2K (thank god for insurance) then I completely agree with you not ignoring the issue- from bitter experience I now know that sometimes the things they eat really don't come out the other end.

Good luck with it  :D

Offline Bidybidy

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with the previous post.

May I just add, that after eating something unacceptable, a lot of dogs can have tummy ache, just as humans would.

I've seen my friends dog in awful pain after eating "rubbish", that with the threat of  (emergency) surgery,
I would seriously consider a muzzle, and forget what my dog looked like to others.