Author Topic: its that time of year....  (Read 2964 times)

Offline YvonneC22

its that time of year....
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »
Christmas tree will be going up in a week or so ( LOVE CHRISTMAS!!  :lol:)

After organising all the extras I need to buy I also realised that Alex will probably enjoy stripping the tree as fast as i decorate it!  ph34r
I will end up with a tree just decorated at the top!  :005:

Do any of you have this problem and how do you resolve it?
Luckily he isn't cocking his leg yet to wee or that would be an additional problem!  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: its that time of year....
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
Depending how big your tree is, I found the only solution was to have a tree that I could stand on a table and decorate it. The table was positioned so that the dogs could not reach it, and they were only allowed in the same room when I was in there too.

If Alex is a pup I wouldn't put any choccies on it yet - too much of a temptation  :angel: (even for older dogs this may be a test!!)

If your tree is too large for the above idea - maybe have a smaller one for this year.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
Musical tree lights. Had them when Murphy was a pup, he was terrified of them so we flung them but it seems to have put him off going near any of the tree's we've had since.

Maddi has never bothered, think it would be too much effort.
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »

Well it's our first Christmas with with Miya and bought her first present last week, 101 Dalmatians but wouldn't play on bluray >:( >:(  I know your thinking I'm a bit crazy but I have noticed she does look at the TV when dogs are on :doh:

Maybe I'll just buy some toys and treats like normal people :D

Mel.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
Put him in his crate or in another room whilst you decorate the tree. He may surprise you. Ollie has never gone near the tree or the presents under it :huh:  He has never taken any interest.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »
We have a 6ft tree, I will keep him away while I decorate it, and just distract him with other things to try and entice him away.

Also, how would you stop him attacking the kids presents xmas morning?  He will have his own so shall I put him in his pen with his own to open (so to speak)?

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »
The dogs not the problem, its the cats  :D >:(. Loose all the lower decorations. The old cat used to hide them behind the settee like a magpie. You move the settee after christmas & there would be a neat pile of all the shiny ones  :005:.

Feel should have a really small tree at the side of it decorated with Gravy bone baubles!
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »
We have a 6ft tree, I will keep him away while I decorate it, and just distract him with other things to try and entice him away.

Also, how would you stop him attacking the kids presents xmas morning?  He will have his own so shall I put him in his pen with his own to open (so to speak)?

Explain to children that Santa has left pressies in a different place this year (of your choosing & safe from paws) & put a few little pressies for them hanging or on the tree, but out of harms way - you could do this when you have settled Alex for the night, with no danger of him helping himself.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »
Im dreading the tree next week  :005: Riley will most probably be scared or even terrified of it.
Im going to get our son to take him out for an hour till at least we get it unpacked and all the stuff on it.

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »
Jenny was only three months when it was her1st Christmas and had only taken a couple of things of the tree but pulling out the settee after Christmas we found alsorts which she had had and pushed them under the settee She would love to lay under there the light were often off and Penny never really bothered
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »
Our 7 ft 6 inch tree is going up today  :D will let you know what Molly thinks of it  :005: she wasn't bothered last year although she did steal my dads wrapped wine gums from under the tree  :005:
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »
cheeky Molly!  :005:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »
We were both lucky and surprised with Willows reaction to our tree last year but on a plus side she was nearly one years old when we put the tree up for the first time.

We got her a new doggie chew and toy, gave it to her in the same room where we did the tree. She sniffed the boxes etc but didnt try to take anything,not even the baubles.  :luv:

We made sure we put it up on the friday night so we had all weekend with her to make sure she didnt try and do any damage. We leave her in the lounge where the the tree is when we are at work so we had to be sure by the monday that she had no interest in it.... We were pleasantly surprised  :luv:  Every time she went close when it was up we just said, 'Ahhhh ahhh' and called her back to her toy and chew. She was fine with everything but wasnt keen on a snowman we have at first and she barked at it and was unsure. All in all she was really good. Hoping this year is the same   :D

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
Last year, puppy Charlie was around when we put it up - he did help with the tinsel, otherwise he was as good as gold, he wasn't bothered by the tree at all. I'm hoping teenager Charlie will be the same this year.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
Roxy was 7 months old last Christmas and we were worried about our tree, so I brought a set of bells to hang on the lower branches and alert us of any attempts to trash redocorate the tree!
I'm pleased to say she didn't really take any notice of it once it was up and decorated.