Author Topic: possibly moving to Kuala Lumpur...... taking the pupster!!looking  (Read 849 times)

Offline Birdy-Barnes

Looking for advice/ experience.....husband is currently an a six month secondment in Hong Kong and has been offered chance of two year contract.

Aside from schools for our daughters, Montgomery is our other "issue".... Have any of you got any experience of transporting a dog to another country? The heat is a issue but he is 6 months nw and we would look to bring him outnext Sept after we go out there in august. in our heads he is young enough that although journey there and back would not be great he could adapt and has no health  problem that maybe exacerbated by a move?

Seems that they have vets, groomers, pet stores there , which is a start. he currently has cannagan  dried food (grain free) butwould look to switch to a brand that availible there (hoping orjen  or a similar higher quality dog dry food).

Thanks,

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
Re: possibly moving to Kuala Lumpur...... taking the pupster!!looking
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »
We moved from UK to Australia with our last cocker. Have a search of the threads as there have been several COL'ers that have moved to another country. Just recently ClareB moved from Australia to UK. Her thread is in 'Anything Goes'.

Offline Birdy-Barnes

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
Thanks tillydog  will have a search :-)

Claire

Offline revis

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
We spent many years living abroad moving every 2 years and out dogs were always with us rescued labs then rescued cockers we had 2 back here in quarantine as well. They were all fine countries ranging from East Africa Oz Bangladesh Jordan etc. I remember being more worried when the dogs flew off than when the children returned to school and they were under 8 when they started! You will find all you will need for them in places like Singapore enjoy it.

Offline Birdy-Barnes

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
Thanks, luckily from looking at defra site Malaysia is on list of non eu countries that when returning to UK he wont have to go into quarantine..... certain provisions to be met (lots of paperwork too i imagine)  reassuring to know others have done it :-)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:06:23 AM »
Hi, moved from OZ to Italy, with my two, my advise is to use an pet mover company, takes the pressure off if any of the forms are filled in incorrectly, or forgotten would be a nightmare. Mine came from OZ  going through  KL on Thai Airways. Arrived fitting fit squealing with excitement even before they could see us.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Birdy-Barnes

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »
winewood ... glad thry arrived safely :-) spoke to hobby today and his company will pay for transportation etc of up to two family pets (we jyst have Montgomery although i joked to him that that meant we  could get another one  ;) so would def use a company... imagine it would be stressful enough even then!!

thank you...

also how did all your dogs manage in the heat.... do they aclimatise??