Author Topic: Clamping the umbilical cord?!  (Read 2494 times)

Offline aul vane

• Limited Member
Clamping the umbilical cord?!
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:54:40 PM »
Our bitch is due to have her first litter of pups and we've got mixed messages about the best way to deal with the umbilical cord?
A. Just let the bitch deal with it?
B. Cut then tie it off with unwaxed dental floss?
C. Cut it 1"- 2" away from the puppy, dab with iodine and just leave it?
D. Cut it as far away from the puppy?
E. Clamp then cut?
There doesn't seem to be a rule of thumb?
Most people I have spoken to, recommend pushing the blood in the cord back into the puppy before cutting it.
Some people haven't.
I have the BOOK OF THE BITCH, which is my bible at the moment & I am going to have a chat with my vet tomorrow to clarify some things.
I've read and watched lots of relevent items on the internet but any other advice would be welcome.
I just want to minimize the risk of any of the pups having umbilical hernias. :-\

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
Re: Clamping the umbilical cord?!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »
I might be old fashioned but I have always tied cords off with strilised cotton about half an inch from the pups' body. Never had any problems and my bitches have never minded either! Good luck with your litter!

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:37:11 PM »
If mum doesn't do it on her own, then I push the blood back towards the pup and tear the cord with my nails an inch or so from the pups tummy.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
I would always by preference let the bitch deal with it but if she doesn't then push the blood towrds the puppy and tear it (with very clean hands) about 1-2 inches from the navel. We whelp about 140 puppies a year at Hearing Dogs and in the last year have had just 1 with an umbilical hernia; we've found that if we have to intervene tearing the cord is easier than cutting it. We never clamp or tie the cords or put anything on them, never had any need to. We have styptic (silver nitrate) pens to use if they bleed excessively but in all the (many!) whelps I've done I've only needed to use it once.

If this is one of the littermate bitches you've posted about before though she is only 18 or 19 months old, this is very young to be having a litter :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline aul vane

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice.
Everything went really well.
Six very healthy, hernia free puppies and a healthy mum who adores her little pups.