Author Topic: going back to work  (Read 4125 times)

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
Re: going back to work
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
I always leave the radio on when I'm out.  I have done this with my house guinea pigs and have carried on for Tilly. When I first left her I was so worried on how she would get on that I quietly went round to the back of my house and peered through the window. The site I was greeted with was her laying flat on her back, showing her belly, legs apart and fast asleep. I had worried so much that she would be eating every cupboard  :005:. I shouldn't have worried so much.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »
If the OP is still watching this thread, it may be useful if we were given an indication of her rough location.

COL members are so widely spread throughout the country that there's every possibility that some of us could come up with details of suitable facilities or some other satisfactory solution within reasonable reach of the OP.

Bob.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »
I hope the OP continues to read the thread for constructive advice  :blink:

One thing i did think about which a new puppy owner *might* not is if the pup does end up crated or in a play pen when you leave the house, if he/she wears a collar please take it off as pups can get themselves caught and the rest doesn't bare thinking about.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
If the puppy is confined to a crate for that long, I would personally envisage an accident. Claws caught on the crate or anything puppy can be left to amuse itself with WILL be chewed and could be a choking hazard.

My only advice in this instance is find a kind neighbour or family friend who can either let puppy out a few times a day, or if that really isn't viable, I would personally remove ALL hazards and confine puppy to the kitchen and offer puppy mats for puppy to toilet on. Yes it's hit and miss but they can be useful. Sometimes a larger space feels less of a prison for puppy and it has room to move about safely. To confine to a crate where puppy needs to have an area for wees, etc, for those amount of hours, is too big and will encourage an escapist behaviour. Crating for that length of time is waaaay too long.

I have tried with Tali to use a crate at times but he never really took to it with the door closed. As soon as Tali could be left with free reign of the then flat and now house, I found he became more relaxed when I was out. Tali is about 3 1/2 now and I have twice left him to go out for longer than a few hours. The last time was for a concert and he was ok but that was only this July.

A puppy is a baby and requires more care, attention and time than most people either have or can regularly spare. The OP may find this causes trouble in the future with things like Separation Anxiety or destructive behaviour which will be a problem and require extensive reversal training. Conversely, as much as I don't believe in leaving a small puppy alone for that time, some dogs, and I stress SOME, do adapt and it works out fine, but there is no way of telling how a puppy will cope beforehand.

As a rule of thumb, good breeders know how to assess a new owner and to check about their working arrangements. Unless the OP deliberately misled the breeder, then I would say the fault lies with the breeder, not the owner.  
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »
For all those who are worried that the OP has been "scared away" by some of the constructive comments on this thread, she has not logged onto COL since 5.13 on 24 August so will not even have seen them yet  :shades:

Some good advice already given, but the bottom line is that this is too long to leave a dog on a regular basis and even more so for a young pup  :-\

Now you find yourself in this situation (without apparently having thought about it before getting a pup  :-\ ), it is important to set up some sort of arrangement for someone to pop in to let pup out for toiletting, food and play, or arrange for pup to go to a doggy minder for at least part of the time.  ;)

If some of the comments seem blunt, it is because there are many very knowledgeable and experienced people on here who care deeply about their dogs and tbh the welfare of the pup is more of a priority than the sensitivities of the owners  ;)

Please stick around though, there is a massive wealth of information and advice available here when you need it (and you will  :005: )
Julie and Watson

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
I always leave the radio on when I'm out.  I have done this with my house guinea pigs and have carried on for Tilly. When I first left her I was so worried on how she would get on that I quietly went round to the back of my house and peered through the window. The site I was greeted with was her laying flat on her back, showing her belly, legs apart and fast asleep. I had worried so much that she would be eating every cupboard  :005:. I shouldn't have worried so much.

I leave the radio on for Jamie too! He's not a puppy but he wasn't used to being left on his own when I first got him. Previous owners suggested it and the slight whining when we left has completely stopped now. He's quiet happy confined to the kitchen and conservatory with the radio on when I leave him now. The plus side is that both have laminate floor so if he won't go and do a wee or poo before I go and has an accident whilst I'm gone its easy to clean up.

I definitely wouldn't let the puppy be able to go anywhere where if he does make a mess it's hard to clear up, like carpet. Not sure if others would agree with this but I might leave a small bowl of his food down? I do for Jamie sometimes if I'm gone for around 4 hours rather than my ideal 3.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline michelle and findley

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »
 I have now read all your posts, as it happens I did think long and hard before getting Findley,I think  some of your ideas are really good.  I have been to work today and before doing so he was walked this morning, I then put him in the conservatory with his cage OPEN !! with toys in, food and water was also left and so was the conservatory door left open so he could roam in and out !! I was out approx 4 hrs, myself and my partner in the jobs we do thankfully he will never be left any longer and we do not work weekends !! Findley has settled in very well thank you and we have had no accidents in the house , as I get up with him during the night to let him out (as he is sleeping in our room), I also leave a radio on.  This dog could not be loved any more than he is , so thank you for your comments but I came on here for advice not to be part of a witch hunt !!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
I have now read all your posts, as it happens I did think long and hard before getting Findley,I think  some of your ideas are really good.  I have been to work today and before doing so he was walked this morning, I then put him in the conservatory with his cage OPEN !! with toys in, food and water was also left and so was the conservatory door left open so he could roam in and out !! I was out approx 4 hrs, myself and my partner in the jobs we do thankfully he will never be left any longer and we do not work weekends !! Findley has settled in very well thank you and we have had no accidents in the house , as I get up with him during the night to let him out (as he is sleeping in our room), I also leave a radio on.  This dog could not be loved any more than he is , so thank you for your comments but I came on here for advice not to be part of a witch hunt !!

It's good to hear things are going well but I don't see that there has been a witch hunt - you will inevitably get replies you don't particularly like or find useful when posting on an open forum but I'm sure you can appreciate this all comes from concern for your puppy and there has been no shortage of good advice either. Just one thing about leaving your conservatory open, do please be careful as dog thefts from gardens are quite common these days so you need to balance security concerns with giving your puppy freedom (also your insurance company won't pay out for claims where property is left unsecured) I'm not saying this to annoy you or upset you - just something to be aware of.
Jane

Offline michelle and findley

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »
Hi and Thanks we have made sure that all is secure and the garden and conservatory are fully puppy safe for him. I understand that we are all passionate but I think a few of the comments made were uncalled for, this is supposed to be a site to help and guide us all, not get on soap boxes, but anyway thanks for the concern.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
Hi and Thanks we have made sure that all is secure and the garden and conservatory are fully puppy safe for him. I understand that we are all passionate but I think a few of the comments made were uncalled for, this is supposed to be a site to help and guide us all, not get on soap boxes, but anyway thanks for the concern.

Fair enough but we do discuss all sorts of things on the forum so it's not all about help and guidance, there is discussion of all sorts of things Cocker related which often involve differences of opinion (soap boxes are optional though :lol2:)

Hope things continue to go well with your pup :D
Jane

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
Hi Michelle

All I want to say is please, please take Toni's advice (if you haven't already done so) about leaving a collar on Findley.  My first cocker got his stuck on his crate bars (as a young pup) and was choking, thank Dog I was there.  To this day, none of my dogs ever wear collars at home, regardless of age.

Also I would be very concerned about a puppy, that has access to outside, being stung by a wasp.  There are loads about this year and a young pup would certainly try catching one in it's mouth as it flew past.  Hopefully the horrible things will be gone soon.

Just my take on things which you will hopefully see as constructive.  Can we have some pics of little Findley soon?

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
I agree about the collar.  Lila caught her collar on a handle of a coal bucket when she was a pup and would have choked if I was not watching her.

Years ago there were no dog walkers and doggy daycare etc and people still had dogs and went to work.  Although it is not ideal it would be a shame to deprive a dog of an excellent home just for the sake of being left for four hours.  Many working dogs are left on their own for most of the day in kennels, crates etc.

I have rarely left Lila for more than an hour or two and got her used to it gradually  but even from being a small puppy she has just slept when I am out :D

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
 Most of our pups at some point have become gardeners  :shades:

You may already be aware but there are plants that are poisonous to dogs,cocoa shell mulch if ingested is bad news too.
Most of our pups have tried eating stones,twigs,snails....anything they can get in their mouths really just like a crawling baby..

You may have a flag stoned garden maybe without any of these things but thought it wise to bring it up.  ;)

Have you ever had a fox in your garden ? as i feel a fox wouldn't hesitate taking a small pup  :-\  just something else to consider.  :D
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
Years ago there were no dog walkers and doggy daycare etc and people still had dogs and went to work.  Although it is not ideal it would be a shame to deprive a dog of an excellent home just for the sake of being left for four hours.  Many working dogs are left on their own for most of the day in kennels, crates etc.

Times have changed though - years ago it was more common for women not to go out to work and instead they stayed at home with their families (certainly the case for many of my mother and grandmother's generation) so family dogs had company most of the day. That's not to say that nowadays where both partners are likely to work that it's not possible to own a dog - it just takes more thought and arrangements in place so pups are not left alone too long. Re working dogs kennelled all day at least they generally have the company of other dogs so are not alone as such (not that I'm suggesting the OP gets another dog as I'm sure she has her hands full with young Findley :D)
Jane

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »
Another problem is that as he is not housetrained and will not take himself out for wees etc you will have to be prepared to come home to a mess , he may chew thing too and I would hate to think of a puppy being told off for something that is not his fault.  Not suggesting that you would though :D

I had to work when I had a ten month springer and although he was walked before and I spent a couple of hours with him at lunchtime a neighbour said he howled all the time I was out.  I had to leave and re-arrange my life around him.  I wouldn't have known he was so unhappy if someone hadn't told me  ph34r