Author Topic: recall not happening  (Read 3285 times)

Offline saracens123

recall not happening
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:16:17 AM »
I am so angry with Sam at the moment.I took him to the park this morning and let him off for a run around.he found a plastic bottle and thought that it would be great fun to keep his distance and ignore any calls for him to return.no matter what I did or offered him he would not return >:( I was seriously worried that I would not be able to catch him and he would do something stupid like run in the road.this is not the first time this has happened on a walk ans I feel that his recall at 7 months is getting worse! I feel that I simply cannot trust him EVER off of the lead.people keep saying let him off he will come back but as I think today proved he is so badly behaved and untustable.has anybody had similar problems?is this common?and what advice can anyone offer?many thanks.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: recall not happening
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »
I  for one would definately ignore people who say 'let him off', if you are not confident that he will come back - Sam will pick up on your hesitation and you may find it harder still to get him back if he knows you are worried.

I take Minstrel out on a flexi at the moment as the areas I take him to are not pup secure & neither is his recall 100%. (I wouldn't expect it to be at four months) It's not ideal - but neither is a dog running riot and ignoring me.

If you are not happy using a flexi - how about a long line when you are out playing so he has freedom and you have the security that he will come back. You could walk him on a normal lead and change over before he starts to play. You are then in control = 1 less stressed owner  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:05:19 AM »
We don't let Tilley off lead yet as we're not 100% sure in her recall, though it's getting pretty good. I read somewhere that if you're not happy to bet your house on your dog coming back to you every time you call, then don't let them off lead. We walk her in a Mekuti harness then clip a long line of about ten metres to the top ring when she's allowed to run, and keep her interested in us by playing about, getting her to chase us, making mad squeaky noises (we don't care what others think ;), treats when she 'checks in' etc. We're trying to train her that being near us when out walking equals fun.

We've been strongly warned to only have a long line on her harness and not on her collar (as, of course, it could cause serious injury to her neck were she to run to the end of the line).
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Both halves of woollypigs post from this account - Woolly & Peli :)

Offline Amus1

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
I think I would agree with what mudmagnets and woollypigs have said.

Flynn hasn't done any running off and not not coming back - but then he pretty much has the run of the fells where I go, and not near any roads. But it is important to be confident in your recall. it helps as I have spike Too.

With spike (collie cross) I had a long training lead for him when he was a pup, many moons ago, which we had great fun with - a MASSIVE 50 FOOT!!! Lots of jumping about playing chase and making silly noises etc as woollypigs said.
It was really useful. And think that is the way (a training lead or flexi) if you have recall problems.

Good luck - I'm sure you can't stay mad with Sam for too long - you never can when you look at their eyes! (well I can't!!!)  :luv:

Offline MANDYANDALFIE

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »
Alfie did exactly the same at exactly the same age.  Before this he had been almost 100% reliable to a whistle.  He had even massively impressed his training class and trainer when he got caught up in a gaggle of off lead puppies in the hall where we train - I blew his whistle and he arrived by my feet in an instant!  At about 7 months, he started "doing his own thing"  when off lead especially if he saw a bird.  I had started to try different things to increase his attention on me like hiding behind the odd tree which resulted in him keeping a closer eye on me for the next couple of days and always rewarding him with high value treats if he returned quickly.  I also took his second love, a tennis ball, with me whenever we were headed to an off lead safe area which helped as I could keep the recall whistle current by blowing it as he was turning to bring the ball back anyway.  Also I was trying to structure his walks so that we got to a couple of safe areas where he could be off lead interspersed with some on lead walking so that he didn't get the idea that being back on lead always meant he was going home.  But I found a long line was absolutely necessary to keep my unruly teenager in check and for his own safety.  I think it's important to keep up the training but structure things so he's very unlikely to fail when. and if, your pup is passing through this stage.

Offline saracens123

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies.I think we are going to use a long training lead and almost start again with recall. Hopefully this will work and we hope that he is just in an unruly teenage stage :D ps I have forgiven him ;)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:12:16 PM »
Have a look at my whistle recall sticky on the behaviour board and remember recall is all aout how valuable you are to your pup.
The golden rule of dog training is control what your dog wants and then you control your dog.
You hvae to make sure you are worth coming back to and you get a history of correct choices in your dogs brain rather than learning to ignore you. Set your self up to win and take your time and dont expect miracles.
My last rescue Alfie was on a line for 5 months before I knew he would 100% come back.
Dont ever tell your dog off if he comes back to you even if it's not first time. Instead, tell yourself off for calling him when there was a chance you would fail.
Hope that makes sense.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline woollypigs

• Look Squirrel !
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »
Instead, tell yourself off for calling him when there was a chance you would fail.
This nicely sums up what our trainer taught us: to set our dog up for success every time we call her. For example, she advised us to wait for a lull in our dog's play before attempting to call her back, and creating a 'hot zone' around us when out walking, by playing with, treating or otherwise engaging our dog. It seems to be working so far. 
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
Both halves of woollypigs post from this account - Woolly & Peli :)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
Your trainer gives good advice :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline black taz

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
Coming upto teenage years as well, so that won't help >:D

I read somewhere (it may have been on here) that you should always keep it secret that you can't actually catch them if they run off, ie: don't go running after them if you can avoid it.  I don't even chase my dogs if they have something they shouldnt have, I get something more exciting and get them to come to me - then esp with my pup i will play with whatever he has bought back (if possible) or with another toy.

With my 6 month old pup, his recall currently is pretty solid but i will be keeping a firm eye on him over the next few months to make sure its doesnt slip. 

My older cocker is a different matter, but I think that is because he was my first cocker and i didnt instill a recall into him before letting him off lead.  I now find the key for Taz is to keep his focus as much as possible.  I spent almost every walk during the summer working on his focus,

* give him a treat, send away
* call back, treat, stroke, send away
* call back, treat, send away, etc., etc.
changing the time bewteen recall random

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »

* give him a treat, send away
* call back, treat, stroke, send away
* call back, treat, send away, etc., etc.
changing the time bewteen recall random

I do this with Charlie too, its a bit of fun for him as he gets extra smootches
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Des

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »
Having the same issue with bonnie at the moment, she's now 10 months and recall has been really good.l walk her off lead in the woods every day and play recall, remote sit and find the ball.The last few days she has been reluctant to full return and sits a meter away and at times backs off if I approach or attempt to put her lead on, very annoying.She is massively interested in other dogs and recall goes out the window if she spots another dog.Hoping this is teenage/adolescence issues but feel she has gone backwards.On lead only I think for a while and try and persevere.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:11 PM »
Hardly an unusual post this is. I had exactly the same problem with Harry at various stages, he's now 16 months and I reckon hes 80-85% there, but some people comment on how good he is at recall, but I guess I am a hard task master. I've seen cockers at 100% recall and believe me its impressive.

When Harry was at his most disruptive, I used a long piece of cord, tied to his collar, much better than a training line imo, and that worked a treat. If he didn't want to come i'd merely stand on it. With a training line Cockers soon learn that they're on one and hey presto you think they're coming back.

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:09 PM »
Sounds like puppy adolescence! Hudson's recall outside has so far been 100 % but I've never let him off when other people or dogs are around as I'm not convinced he would succeed in that situation! He's only 17 weeks old though and still feels a little vulnerable i think... he often runs ahead but stops to look back every so often!  :luv: Sure it won't be long until I'm in your situation though, so keeping an eye on this. Good luck! X

Offline saracens123

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
As usual great advice and ideas.we have started the hard task of beginning from scratch again.when out now we'll be fully loaded with treats,squeaky toy ext... I have not let him off since yesterday morning and will build up to it.Will look to purchase a long training lead when next off of work so Sam can run around.I feel a reassured that it is fairly common.thanks