Author Topic: Running with cockers  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Woolwitch

Running with cockers
« on: September 13, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
Hi, I have a 14 month old working cocker, and as a runner, have not yet taken him out with me as I am conscious of not overdoing it with him while he is still developing and growing - we just stick to walks with him at the moment. I would eventually like him to come on runs with me - I am not talking marathons :) my maximum is about 3 miles, 2 or 3 times a week. Do other people run with their dogs and when did you start? Thanks!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Running with cockers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
I am sure somebody will come along in a minute that has succeeded but I have trouble not tripping over Jinley at waking pace!  She zig zags across the path and has to inspect a blade of grass at various intervals.

Offline Woolwitch

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
Hmmm, yes I thought that might be an issue!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 07:13:45 PM »
My partner runs with our dog, and we also cycle with him. He's always running faster than we can cycle or run however does tire toward the end of a 7k cycle at a medium pace. We didn't start doing this until he was abut 18 months old but he seems to love it. Always important to pick up on dogs signs of tiring. We slow down and take regular breaks and slow to a walk if he ever needs it

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »
I would be careful with that as some dogs are prone to arthritis and also could possibly end up chasing something near a dangerous area. Don't over to it.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:04:20 AM »
What about trying something like Cani-Cross?
https://cani-fit.com/beginners-guide-to-canicross/

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
I run with Jett, I started when he was about 16 months old. I have a lead that clips to a waist belt and the lead has an elastic part that allows me to stop and he doesn't get pulled back. It also allows him to run faster and he doesn't get choked.
I plan my run to try and avoid roads (as much as possible). I'm lucky that I have a river near me with a path, so I can let him off the lead and I run and he seems to stick next to me. This allows him to stop or run faster if needed.
He definatly makes me run faster as he is super fit and just runs and runs, I struggle to keep up with him at times.
If I was a slow runner I think I would struggle as he would pull me a lot.

I also limit it to 5k runs. My local parkrun allows dogs, so I may take him a long one week.

Offline MortysMum

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:58:01 PM »
We have a 7 month old working/show mix.  We have taken him on many long forest walks where we walk and he sprints, jumps and bounds back and forth, covering about twice as much distance as we do.  We took him to the beach a few times and he ran back and forth for a solid hour before showing signs of tiredness.  Now we run with him (off leash) about 6 kms.  Again, he covers about twice as much distance as we do, with the back and forth-ing, sprinting and stopping to sniff.  We also have that nose-to-the-ground-not looking where he is going problem:) 

All of this is off leash.  Now I wonder if I missed the memo on not letting him run too much, but honestly, he is raring to go the next day, no signs of excessive exhaustion at the end of the day itself, and seems to really need the action.  We space these activities out to about 1 per week on average.  And we are pretty relaxed about it, stopping when needed, offering water, mixing in some recall. 

I also run with him about 1 km each way to get him to the off leash park.  This is purely for efficiency-sake on my part: giving him the chance to meet other dogs while keeping the whole excursion down to an hour.  This is maybe every 3 days on average.

This is my first cocker puppy - indeed my first puppy - so curious to hear what others think on the subject too.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »
I think most dogs/puppies would be able to keep going and going but I think excessive exercise may damage the growth plates in puppy joints, and so possibly contribute to joint problems like hip dysplasia.
Therefore they do suggest restricting the amount of exercise in young pups

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
I tried this a week or so ago with our 12 month old WCS...without much success :005:
Jura has been off his lead since he was 12 or 13 weeks and TBH is pretty good.He runs and rummages about etc.So I thought as I've taken up running(not Tarmac but in our local wood etc) I thought I'd give it a go.He just thought it was a game and was happily chasing me and jumping up etc >:( We walk him two or three times a day anyway so i thought do a short run would makes sense for us both.I suppose we'll get there!
A couple of friends meet up for a run in a large park nearby every Friday.One has a Cockerpoo,the other two Whippets so i'm going to join them and hopefully Jura will concentrate on the other dogs!

All of this is off leash.  Now I wonder if I missed the memo on not letting him run too much, but honestly, he is raring to go the next day, no signs of excessive exhaustion at the end of the day itself, and seems to really need the action.  We space these activities out to about 1 per week on average.  And we are pretty relaxed about it, stopping when needed, offering water, mixing in some recall. 
We too worried about this as following the "5 minute" rule Jura never seemed to get enough.He always went out into the garden after a walk and just ran and ran!From about 8 months onwards we've just gone out and let him do his thing.....we still can't tire him out though :005: :lol2:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »
Dogs will run and run if you let them but there's also a lot to be said about stimulating their brains too if its about wearing them out - its not about them not being up for carrying on running the next day its the damage to growing bones/growth plates that's the issue. its up to us to not allow them to run and run sometimes just as we wouldn't allow young children to compete in certain sports and why there are versions of them for youngsters untul their bones have developed. When mine were under a year old I would occasionally take them on walks suitable for adult dogs and didn't adhere to the 5 minute rule I also didn't over exercise them
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!