Author Topic: Millie has Vestibular syndrome  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Millie has Vestibular syndrome
« on: March 31, 2020, 06:07:16 PM »
To say the past couple of days have been horrendous would be an understatement...

Out of the blue Millie started staggering with a head tilt to the left, flickering eyes and then vomiting. Getting a vets appointment is a nightmare at the moment, and Millie being extremely terrified and reactive with the vet it made it such an awful experience.

Luckily the vet had met her on Friday as she tried to look in her mouth (long term dental problems plus Eric accidentally stood on her mouth last week!) so knew how bad she is.

Having to hand her to the vet in the doorway with her muzzle on while she was so poorly. Well pretty traumatic for all of us.

Eric had to go to work (for Amazon) and mum is unwell so self isolating. What a bloomin nightmare.

The vet thinks it’s vestibular and doesn’t think the accident last week or oral sedatives from Friday were to blame.

Fingers crossed please for my little soul dog. And any help in making her more comfortable would be gratefully received.

Millie

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Millie has Vestibular syndrome
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:53:45 PM »
What a stressful situation! Did the vet know the underlying reason? Laurië had vestibular disease a couple of years back. It started very suddenly. She kept falling over and could not stay on her feet at all. It was all caused by a middle-ear infection and cleared up with some antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Very scary thing to experience a dog getting so poorly all of a sudden, I feel for you! I hope Millie gets better soon! I just kept my dog safe, gave her cuddles and extra treats, she improved very quickly in the days after we started treatment, hopefully it will be the same for your dog!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 07:30:42 PM »
My Milo had this when he was about twelve, he lived til sixteen and we managed the condition with medication. It's quite scary though, and with all else that,s going on in your life at the moment, sending you hugs and reassurance. Every problem seems more mountainous at the moment, your cocker friends are here at the end of the keyboard  :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:54:19 PM »
Thank you guys  :luv:

The vet doesn’t know the cause, bloods were good for her age and nothing obvious going on. She said her left ear was painful when she examined it and it looked gunky so a thin line of hope there.

Millie

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 10:14:03 PM »
It may only last a week or two. Marti, my springer had it and her head tilt didn’t quite go. Then she got it on the other side, so her head actually straightened. Poor dogs must feel so dizzy.
I found it helped to use a raised bowl, for food and water,  as she was swaying too much dipping her head.  I gave her wet food, because she couldn’t snaffle up kibble, or drink well.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 05:47:59 PM »
Hope all is OK now but I had similar with Bosley my sprocker boy last week - an hour after a walk he threw up then began twitching. Am lucky in my vets nearby by and they saw me immediately - they weren't sure either as while they saw him twitching for themselves they couldn't determine immediately if it was vestibular, epilepsy or just a fit for whatever reason. She gave him a steroid injection and within 24 hours he was fine

The sod is determined to make me old before my time though as a week later and unrelated to the previous week he began pooing watery bloody diarrhoea and puking, which was pink and bloody - thankfully again my vets turned up trumps and a phone call in the morning for advice then at lunchtime I rang again as directed to see how he was so they decided to do a video call using zoom but she felt after that he needed to be seen at the surgery so off he went again where I let him go through door on his own this time while I sat on pavement outside - seems after much investigation he may have had that nasty bug that was going round at beginning of year
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!