Author Topic: Thinking of adding a third  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Ladys tramp

Thinking of adding a third
« on: December 10, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
Hi all
Hope you are safe and well.
Now we both have loads of time on our hands I am thinking of adding a third pup to our family. The OH loves lady and tramp our two wcs and was wondering what other breed would work well with them.( I want another one or an Alaskan malamute ). Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Thinking of adding a third
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »
Hi,

Personally, if you like cockers then get another cocker  :lol2:.  I've only had cockers with other cockers (currently have 3).  And they work well together as they have the same breed traits/ temperament types and similar energy levels.  With a totally different breed, like a malamute, i don't know.  Friends had a pair of malamutes and they were both quite dominant type dogs, and large.  so they may/ may not work well with cockers.  I know friends who have cockers with collies and they seem to work well also as both similar energy levels.  Gundog breeds together usually work as similar temperaments - cockers and labs/ goldies or similar.  But saying that, a lot can also depend on individual dogs.  so there's no knowing really.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Ladys tramp

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 01:35:57 PM »
Had malamutes ( 3 adults and a total of 18 pups over the years) in the past opted for cockers this time as a smaller more manageable breed. I know if the malamute is well socialized and is introduced to a more alpha dog at a young age the dominant issue shouldn't be a problem
 OH says no malamute!!!!!😭
A good friend has always had labs so they would be a possibility
 Looks like it's going to be cockers from now on.
Show type or worker ????

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 01:44:40 PM »
If you already have workers then have another one of them!  I have 3 workers now, but have had a mix of workers and show together and they've also been fine.  Although, bear in mind the grooming requirements of the show type...  I'm sure I'll have show types again, but that'll be when I'm retired and have the spare time to put into grooming them.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline fionad

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 04:02:14 PM »
I met a family last week on my walk, with their two children and five, yes five, working cocker spaniels. A very happy bunch they all were too!

Offline Ladys tramp

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 07:57:12 PM »
Five!!!!! Wow I would love that but would probably end up being told it's me or the dogs lol. A nice mix of colours and lots of cocker cuddles. Heaven

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 10:22:39 AM »
We've got 2 lurchers and a working cocker which is a great combination for us - they have similar energy levels when we're out and about and love playing together too.  I'd happily add another cocker or two though.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 10:37:32 AM »
Hi all
Hope you are safe and well.
Now we both have loads of time on our hands I am thinking of adding a third pup to our family. The OH loves lady and tramp our two wcs and was wondering what other breed would work well with them.( I want another one or an Alaskan malamute ). Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

I used to have two WCS and a lab and that worked well - have fun doing your research and finding your new addition, what ever you decide on    :-*

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »
I too would sayno to Malamute, Cocker or even Cocker poo, tho not impressed with cross breeds