Author Topic: transporting puppy in car  (Read 1332 times)

Offline lady and the cat

transporting puppy in car
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »
hi all

I am getting my puppy next week - hip hip horray

what crate would you suggest and is there one which would do him as a puppy and adult

I want a solid crate not a bag type and the intention is to keep him in a crate when he is older not harness and seat belt to back seat

thanks

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: transporting puppy in car
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 09:02:39 PM »
We have a Atlas 80 and a atlas 40. One stays in the car and one stays in the house. The 80 is the largest and fitted in vw polo, vauxhall astra saloon and hatchback, nissan xtrail.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline cazza

• Site Member

Offline Seb2020

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 06:55:03 AM »
Hi everyone, how 7 months cocker Seb does not sleep in a crate. Does it work to get one for car trips?
We have only done a handful of less than 30 rides and it is an absolutely nightmare...Seb barks non stop, looks and sounds distressed and tries to jump out the dog car seat.
We are due a long car trip in a couple of weeks time and desperately need to find a solution before that!
Any suggestions very much welcomed!
Many thanks!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 08:41:03 AM »
I have always used crates in the car - Fern was a nightmare and yapped the whole time (she never barked it was always a high ear piercing yap  :005: )

With Ash, Who is 10weeks today, I have had her in the car in a crate 5 times so far and she whines a little to start and then settles down. I want her used to the car so am using it as part of the training I am doing just now (as she hasn’t had her second jag yet we can’t go far as I can’t put her out to toilet on a journey) we have a long trip tomorrow to go and get her 2nd jag (my vet doesn’t have the same vaccine that the breeders vet used so rather than start over again we are taking her to the breeders vet)

I always put a couple of toys in the car crate and give her a few bits of her kibble (this is what I am using as treats currently, saving higher value treats until later as she is happy just to get her kibble currently and they are small bits so I can give her loads of treats while training.  I have reduced her meals by 5g each and using the 20g as treats)

I have vet bed in the car crate and also a blanket

If you are going to start using a crate I would use it in the house to get him used to it and make it a nice safe place that he enjoys going in and then move it to the car etc. Ash gets fed in her crate in the house and now she runs in there happily in the day time too

I prefer a crate in the car as they can move around, stretch etc but are also secure should you be involved in a bump and the door gets opened etc.

Just a few thoughts from me - hope they help you to make a decision

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 12:59:36 PM »
There‘s currently a similar post on here today which might be useful too!