Author Topic: Pads in or out at night?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Ashliejean

Pads in or out at night?
« on: March 15, 2021, 07:24:04 PM »
Hi everyone!
I’m new to the forum and would love some advice. About to pick up pup this weekend.
I suffer terribly from sleep deprivation (I know I know not good getting a pup🤣) but just wondered what your views are on putting a pad at  one end of the crate at night away from his bed. I know a friend who did this. But I know the idea is to get them used to going outside so this might slow that process down. However if it means me not getting up in night I’m
Happy for it to take longer. Or is it best to bite the bullet and put to bed late and go down early and if they have an accident they won’t do it again?
After having a nightmarish first born with sleep issues where I did everything textbook then a second who was a dream and I didn’t...I want to make things as easy as possible!
Thanks so much! X

Offline Shaun W

Re: Pads in or out at night?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 09:23:01 PM »
We put a pad in with Alfie, but he just shredded them.
It took 2/3 weeks for him to sleep through (2330 - 0600), but I was getting up 2 hourly then 2:30 hours, in week 3 he showed no interest in getting up in the middle of the night so I stopped.
We still had accidents, he was 12 weeks when we got him.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »
This is what worked for me. Dylan is my tenth dog (one jack rusell, five scotties, four cockers). The previous dogs were all trained the old fashioned way with newspapers in the kitchen, requiring clearing up in the morning and several weeks of this. For Dylan I used a crate in the bedroom, paper inside at the front, bedding at the back. I put him in at around 11, and set my alarm for 2.30, then whipped him out in the garden with Instructions to 'wee', a 'good boy', and straight back in the crate til 6.30. No playing or fussing. I gradually moved the alarm time by 15 mins every night until he was going right through, and never once had a soiled crate. I'm not a great sleeper, so it wasn't too onerous, took about three or four weeks. Plus it was summer, and here in north east Scotland it gets light very early, so that helped. I think it got it Into his head right from the start that the garden was the place to toilet.

We're retired, I didn't have to worry about being tired for work, and I think that helped for a more relaxed atmosphere. Dylan has been the easiest dog to train, much easier than the others. But of course it's whatever suits your lifestyle and sleep patterns.
Have fun with your new pup, let us know how you get on. Happy days!
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:43:32 PM »
For Dylan I used a crate in the bedroom, paper inside at the front, bedding at the back. I put him in at around 11, and set my alarm for 2.30, then whipped him out in the garden with Instructions to 'wee', a 'good boy', and straight back in the crate til 6.30. No playing or fussing. I gradually moved the alarm time by 15 mins every night until he was going right through, and never once had a soiled crate. I'm not a great sleeper, so it wasn't too onerous, took about three or four weeks. Plus it was summer, and here in north east Scotland it gets light very early, so that helped. I think it got it Into his head right from the start that the garden was the place to toilet.

We used the same method with Pepper and it worked for us too - in fact one night I forgot to set the alarm and she went straight through with no problem and has slept through ever since

Offline Ashliejean

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 12:14:18 PM »
Thanks so much for all your help! We shall see how it goes. 2 days to go!   :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 05:40:26 AM »
Wishing you all the best with it, exciting not long til you get your bundle of joy  :D

I pick Ash up on Sunday, she’s will be crated in the kitchen - bed time 10pm and I won’t get up til around 5 or 6am :shades: no pad in the crate

however Ash will be taken out every 2 hours over night (due to COVID I have my youngest move back home (job hunting) who doesn’t go to bed til 4 or 5 am  :005: so hoping this will work for us  :shades: )

Enjoy your new addition  :luv:

Offline Seb2020

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 06:47:34 AM »
Hi everyone
Our 7 months Cocker spaniel is toilet trained for quite some time now, day time wise! During the night we set a pad near nearby where he sleeps and depending on the night it gets used or otherwise. Reading the posts on this topic it does feel like we are missing the trick here...what would be the advise to remove the toilet pads altogether! Also, we are planning to leave Seb ( the cocker) with some friends for a couple of nights in summer which makes the independence from pads at night even more important!
Thank you!

Offline ChrisS

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »
We have a pup just under 6 months and his half brother who is 3.
Something else for you to consider.  We have never use pads and the young one is crated at night. To start with we set the alarm for 4 hours after bedtime in order to take him straight outside. This was hit and miss and we had a few accidents as he couldn’t manage 4 hours to start with.
We started using a baby monitor (he is noisy unlike our other dog). We then got up when he started to bark and over a period of about 6 weeks he would go to about 6 o’clock.
We still use this and it works a treat - providing the pup can hold on until you can get down stairs. With the lighter mornings and rising temperatures it’s much more bearable than the wet December and January we have just had.