Author Topic: Waking up time  (Read 1212 times)

Offline SuperCockerMax

Waking up time
« on: April 07, 2021, 08:15:26 AM »
Hiya!

It’s us again, I tried to see if I could find the answer online, but me and my partner are not always aligned in the approach to this issue so I was hoping to get some more insights from here :) (being first time puppy parents is a steep learning curve 😂)

Max is sleeping great, we wake him up now at 1:30am and 4:30am for potty breaks and we literally have to lift him from his crate as so fast asleep (not sure if we should reduce the breaks or not?) he wakes up at around 6am and we let him cry it out as we don’t want to get up, usually he goes back to sleep and wakes again at 7am which is perfect, but when he wakes again at 7am he’s sounds almost hysterical and we just get up and let him out. As he’s so full of energy and I don’t want to let him suffer ....Is this the right approach or should we still let him get quiet first? We wait with feeding him until half an hour after wake up time and we usually quickly let him out at 6am when he first wakes up so it’s not a potty break he needs.

Any thoughts would be great! He is now almost 11weeks ☺️

Offline Shaun W

Re: Waking up time
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »
Hi,
With Alfie, when he was reluctant to get up in the night, I stopped.
I would suggest moving the first wake up to later in the night and ditching the second.
With regards to the excited welcome, I call it a Cuddlestorm, we have a chair in the dining room I sit down take my glasses off and go with it. 😀.
I was a bit concerned that he might pee with excitement but he doesn’t and if I let him out he’ll do his business and rush straight back for part two.

At the moment where I am getting him out and taking him straight on a morning walk, he’ll go 20 yards the sit until I stop and crouch down so we have a cuddle in the street.
Sounds like you’re doing an ace job. Relax and enjoy the storm.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Waking up time
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 07:04:31 PM »
I put 10 week old pup to bed about 10pm, then toilet at 12.30am ish then she goes through to 6.30am

6.30am I am greeted by a  waggy dog but quiet, let her out of her crate and straight outside to toilet

Then she is straight back in her crate (her doing not mine) waiting to be fed. Gets fed then out to toilet again while I drink my cuppa and have a fresh air break outside

Every pup is different and you have to get them into a routine that works for you 💕