Author Topic: Yumove - Itchy skin? Update  (Read 1350 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Yumove - Itchy skin? Update
« on: September 18, 2022, 09:50:07 PM »
I started Humphrey on Yumove just over a week ago and have been giving him the double dosage as recommended for the first 4 weeks.
Since Friday evening he‘s been licking on one spot on his hind quarter which is now looking very red and angry.  I‘ve put a T shirt on him this evening and will make an appointment with the vet tomorrow but am just wondering if its possibly a reaction to the Glucosamine? Has anyone experienced  an allergy to Yumove by any chance?

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Re: Yumove - Itchy skin?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 09:05:43 AM »
Hi Jane,

I’ve definitely heard about this before and think it’s linked to shellfish allergy. I’ve not used Yumove or other glucosamine products so no personal experience.
Might be worth stopping it for a week to see if it eases?
Hope Humphrey gets relief soon.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 10:19:06 AM »
I've not heard of it b4 and have not had problems, but I did only give Minstrel 1 a day from the beginning, (recommended dose 2 per day).

I Wonder if the double dose is more a sales initiative  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 02:26:22 PM »
Thanks both!
Went to the vet yesterday, he shaved the affected area which is now the size of the palm of my hand and gave us to gel which he said should clear it up in a couple of days.
He‘s slept more or less non stop since then, won’t eat, stand up, or go outside to toilet so went back to vets this morning. Vet‘s unable to identify the cause, heart and temperature are ok and although the spot is hot and inflamed his glands aren’t swollen so  I‘m now leaning towards a bite of some kind or mites (just hope its not a ***** tick carrying Borreliose! >:D ) but he‘s taken blood samples and given him antibiotics and painkillers and hopefully we’ll know more tomorrow. Baby grows, T shirts etc have all failed to stop him chewing so he‘s been sentenced to the collar of shame, poor lad   :'(
I‘ve taken him off his Yumove for the time being but I don’t now really think there’s any link and we‘ll start them again once we‘ve over this. ( its exactly a year to the week since he had his spinal surgery! )
 :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 04:53:58 PM »
Jayne - so sorry to read this and I am late replying(bit of colour myself)

Firstly agree at stopping Yumove for now - only ever had Ollie take one, but they do have green lipid mussels in!!!

I do hope the bloods turn up something and that our dear Humph is picking up really soon.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you both
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 05:56:54 PM »
Thanks Julie! Hope you’re feeling better soon   :bigarmhug:
Will keep you posted!   :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 08:31:55 PM »
Oh poor Humph, just when things appeared to have settled.  I hope the bloods give you some answers and he is on the mend soon.  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Yumove - Itchy skin? Update
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »
Hi, just thought I‘d update:
The bloods didn’t turn up anything particularly enlightening, other than that the inflamation values (is that what you call them?) were high which was to be expected and his kidney count was slightly raised but nothing to cause concern apparently. He‘s on antibiotics until next week and apart from being a bit grumpy about wearing the collar, is more of his old self today.
Still don’t know what the cause was, I shall start him back on the Yumove slowly next week and then we shall see.
Have a good weekend all!
Xx

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 07:12:52 PM »
That's a bit of a mystery, suppose the good thing is that it is nothing serious, and he is on the mend.  Hope the cone can soon be removed for the poor boy.  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 09:59:33 AM »
So happy to hear vet is not concerned.

Hope Hump is back to normal soon.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you both
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed