Author Topic: Walks are stressing me out!  (Read 5346 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Walks are stressing me out!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »
I went and got a harness at the weekend. I think the pulling may have reduced very slightly, but the main thing is I no longer have to worry about his little neck and listening to him nearly choke himself. Walks are much less stressful as a result, and I can always slip on the old slip-lead if I need to exert more control.

Thanks all, we'll stick at it!

Good idea, a harness is always useful to have anyway, - for long leads etc.
Happy Walking!  ;)
 :luv: :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2022, 06:45:35 PM »
I'm glad, and it won't be the last one you buy  :005: I had a collection.  Enjoy your walks.

Offline kobesdad

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »
As newbie cocker dad too I totally feel for you.  I tried multiple harnesses I have quite a collection now and the only one that made any difference was the petsafe easy walk harness just search on Amazon. 

Offline Bevjparkes

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 07:21:47 PM »
We also found that the easy walk harness did the trick. Murphy is 9 now and we’ve never changed from that one.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 06:25:56 PM »
Hi
All of the above with Salty
Collar he chokes himself
Got a Perfect Fit Harness which is doing him less damage but he pulls like a train with lead attached to back ring and with his Halti lead attached both ends to back and chest rings, it worked for a bit, but ended up like trying o calm a wild stallion with reigns
So I put him on an extendable 5 m lead so he could have a bit of freedom, when I decided. Worked ok but late last year he ran to the end of it behind me without me noticing and I have have been in the Docs / osteopaths for whiplash and buggered facet joints (on the positive side I got some Valium and Tramadol tho)

Well, I have now finally been well enough  to take him out again on walks (rather than just letting him run round he garden) and I tried something new, which seems to have made a big improvement, so I thought I'd share:

I pass the clip at the end of the 5m extendible lead through the back harness ring, over his shoulder and attach it to the front chest loop of his Perfect Fit harness, so the 'tape' type 5m lead just runs through the back ring, but fixes to his chest ring

He now doesnt pull anywhere near as much, but can sniff around if I let him

It doesnt ' hobble him' or make his shoulder / leg all caught up as it does when I have the two-ended lead to the front and back hoops

Famous last words I know .....

and I can keep away from the Doctors :)

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2023, 10:37:57 AM »
Sometimes a quick burn out helps, let the dog have a good run around , and then try to train them when they are less exuberant, I know your pain I have had 7 Cockers over 45 years and still have one that pulls, they just want to explore and sniff, what they are bred for....

Offline russ-g

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2023, 12:56:42 PM »
Sometimes a quick burn out helps, let the dog have a good run around , and then try to train them when they are less exuberant, I know your pain I have had 7 Cockers over 45 years and still have one that pulls, they just want to explore and sniff, what they are bred for....

Good advice. Stanley always walks better on the lead on the way back when he's less excited and has had a good run around.

He's 10 months now and walks are still a daily battle. I try not to expect too much and try to stay relaxed, which works sometimes! Other times I want to swing him around my head ;).

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 03:47:35 PM »
]Other times I want to swing him around my head

:happydance: :happydance: Wheeeee! Do it again Dad, do it again.....!! :lol2: :lol2:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2023, 06:55:08 PM »
ssshh  we have a wonderful enclosed dog play area, it has benches to sit and a really secure gate.  Directions and whereabout are a secret :005:

We were told about it while out walking and went to take a look....Harry has a typical cocker mad half hour and it is just safe and secure for an off lead bonkers 30 mins or so.  Fully funded and maintained in the country park by the council.

By the time I set back to car park I have one slightly jaded Harry....gets home has a long drink then starts of the  Harry Hooligan trickster :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed