Author Topic: Corprophagia  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Sue Metcalfe

• Site Member
Corprophagia
« on: December 06, 2022, 05:12:01 PM »
Haven’t posted on here for a very long time but could do with some words of wisdom.

We have a nearly 18 week old little boy called Ernie.  He’s a lovely little chap apart from the fact that given half a chance he will consume his own poo.  Doesn’t seem that interested in other kinds of poo, just his own.

So today we have got to past 5pm without a wee indoors, BUT just after his lunch and when my eye was off the prize it had all gone.  Out one end and in the other.  Gross, actually more gross than gross

I’ve read all the stuff that says it’s entirely normal behaviour and that around 25% of dogs do it but it would be great to hear from someone else who is experiencing the same thing so I don’t feel quite so on my own with th problem.  Feeling very teary today ☹️

Any thoughts.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Corprophagia
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 06:25:33 PM »
1st Thought! you are not alone - it seems to be a fave pastime for some cockers, one of mine included. His was not limited to his own poos though, it was roughly anything that took his 'fancy'. I had to use  muzzle on him most of the time.

I believe some dogs do grow out of it - I hope yours does.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline russ-g

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 09:19:33 AM »
Stanley is 24 weeks and in a phase of eating his own poo. It's very unpleasant. I'm currently on a winning streak by going outside with him when I know it's time, and then making him sit whilst I pick it up. Only after he has sat and it's bagged does he then get a treat.

It's only been a week since I started this and I'm yet to test whether he can go unattended. I doubt it, but we'll see how it goes!!

I can appreciate it's much more difficult to do this with a younger pup who goes more frequently.

Offline russ-g

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 10:46:32 AM »
Can confirm he will still enthusiastically eat his own poo when left unattended  :012:

Offline Sue Metcalfe

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 04:32:00 PM »
Well, we are having a measure of success.  House training generally has improved a lot and I’d say 90% of wees and poos are done outside.  At 4.5 months I don’t think that’s at all bad.  When a poo has been delivered outside, Ernie does come straight back inside without a sniff (lots of praise and a treat) but I’m pretty certain if we weren’t watching it would be consumed 🤢.

So for now we are remaining vigilant, although he is easier to read now and we can anticipate most of his bladder and bowel activity.  Nice!!