Author Topic: Vestibular symptoms? Seizure?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Qwerty

Vestibular symptoms? Seizure?
« on: December 29, 2022, 02:09:39 AM »
Hi. Molly is 9 and three weeks ago I found her in the house appearing dizzy, uncoordinated and unsteady on her feet. Rushed her to the vets who examined her - by this time she was a little better but still a bit uncoordinated. Vet examined her and suggested a seizure. Next day we were back for check up and Molly was completely back to normal. This second vet agreed symptoms sounded more seizure than vestibular, I think because no nystagmus present and I didn’t see the entire episode.

Today, similar again but this time I saw the entire process. Perfectly fine one minute then appeared very dizzy/unsteady and vomited. Lasted about 2 hours, laying down mostly but head swaying slightly when looking up and got up to wretch a couple more times. Had her tea and looking much better by bedtime. Incidentally or perhaps not, about 10 minutes prior to all this I had been rubbing her ears which she loves - thinking maybe I could have irritated them/dislodged wax?

Will take her to vets tomorrow to discuss again. Can anyone relate? I’m so anxious!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Vestibular symptoms? Seizure?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
Sorry I don't know anything about this having not experienced it, but I hope your vet can sort the problem out for her....and you. and give you some guidance.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Having just googled vestibular, rubbing her ears may have caused the symptoms you describe?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 01:42:51 PM »
Thank you. She’s been to the vet this morning. She seems much better in herself again and the vet can’t be definite with a diagnosis. He did say that what I described sounded less like a seizure and more a vestibular disturbance but due to what he can’t say. If the episodes continue to happen or get worse I’d like her referred to a neurologist though. And her bloods will be repeated next week. I thought rubbing her ears might have triggered something but he didn’t seem to read anything into this when I mentioned it. One big worry my little spaniel is!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 08:58:45 PM »
I know it's a different thing but it sounds a bit like vertigo in people.  The unsteadiness and sickness are similar.  I hope it the blood test comes back clear.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 09:39:51 PM »
I wonder if you have the type mobile whether you could film an episode to show vet, easier said than done for likes me-but my OH could.  Only an idea, no experience myself and do hope you find some answers soon for Molly
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 05:30:33 AM »
Thank you above.  I did plan to video if it happened again and completely forget when it did. Too stressed I suppose. I will definitely record if happens again. I am worried about the bloods as her calcium was slightly raised last time and that can be a red flag apparently. I’m really hoping was just a blip.