Author Topic: Puppy Colours  (Read 6311 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Puppy Colours
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »
Shona, I have yet to meet someone who has bred the "perfect dog" as with humans no one is perfect, they all have their faults to some degree or another. All "reputable" breeders can do is strive for the very best, health wise and temperament.

I have been extremely lucky that I have had someone who has mentored me for a long time. With breeding you are always learning, I have only had one litter but I know what I will do different next time. I can sleep at night knowing I did everything I possibly could to breed good quality puppies  ;)

I get really angry when people make assumptions about breeders  :( some of us actually care about the breed. There are many people who come to this forum for advice they aren't always going to like what is said, it's a fact of life. I am still struggling to comprehend why anyone in their right mind would breed to make mismarked puppies on purpose??
[snapback]161649[/snapback]

I know you and the other breeders care deeply about the breed, and nowhere have I siad you don't. Believe it or not, I'm in agreement with you! I care passionately about the breed, otherwise I'd have given back Hamish and got another rescue without life long health problems.

My point is, sadly there IS a market for mismarked puppies, badly bred puppies, and generally substandard examples of the breed. It exists, that's the problem.

I also didn't suggest that ALL pups bred by reputable breeders should be perfect, only pointed out in an attempt to show that there ARE accidents, even in strictly controlled breeding programmes.

The problem is, in my opinion, and from what I see at work, is that people are put off waiting for a pup from a good breeder, and end up going the puppy armer route. If they didn't have that option, and there were more GOOD breeders, like yourself and others here, because it was maybe something that people did and could make a small living from, rather than the ones who make a living by cutting corners, we wouldn't see all the heart murmurs in boxers agesd 10 weeks, eye probs in cavs, etc.

I'm probably not in total agreement with some of the inbreeding as can happen, as genetically I think that can cause it's own problems, but it's the only wee quirk I can think of against reputable breeders, and that may well be lack of knowledge on my part. Believe me, I see the sharp end every day, and would happily put each and every one of those puppy farmer evil stupid ***** out of business tomorrow.

Only last week we had a litter of JRT's brought in with elastic bands round their tails to dock themk, this is a well known puppy farmer who has been warned and warned, but the RSPCA can't seem to shut him down. One of the pups has scepticaemia, and may die. It's breaks my heart on a daily basis.

I want breeders  to be encouraged to do it properly, healthscreen etc - but all that costs money as you well know, so the only way to make that money is to do it badly, and that has GOT to change.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

Puppy Colours
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2005, 12:21:11 PM »
Shona I don't think anyone disputes what you're saying but I think the worrying thing is that people who should know better seem to think its OK to purposely breed mismarked puppies as they won't/refuse to take the advice given them on here or in other places.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Puppy Colours
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2005, 04:40:29 PM »
I have just found this article - it spells it out really well to me  :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Puppy Colours
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2005, 04:55:51 PM »
Shona I don't think anyone disputes what you're saying but I think the worrying thing is that people who should know better seem to think its OK to purposely breed mismarked puppies as they won't/refuse to take the advice given them on here or in other places.
[snapback]161716[/snapback]

That's exactly my point though

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Puppy Colours
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2005, 04:58:03 PM »
I have just found this article - it spells it out really well to me  :)
[snapback]161761[/snapback]

But I already agree with everything said in that article.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Puppy Colours
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2005, 05:05:50 PM »

[snapback]161771[/snapback]

I didn't say otherwise - at least, I don't think I did ? :unsure:

I posted the link because it seems to summarise a lot of the different posts on this thread and I agree with what it says - there was no ulterior motive  <_<
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Puppy Colours
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2005, 05:07:36 PM »
Quote from: IWLass,Nov 20 2005, 05:05 PM
Quote from: shonajoy,Nov 20 2005, 04:58 PM
Quote from: IWLass,Nov 20 2005, 04:40 PM

[snapback]161771[/snapback]

I didn't say otherwise - at least, I don't think I did ? :unsure:

I posted the link because it seems to summarise a lot of the different posts on this thread and I agree with what it says - there was no ulterior motive

Cool, I didn't see why a definition was relevant, that's all ;)