Author Topic: Dogs "locking In" During Mating  (Read 958 times)

Offline nikki

• Site Member
Dogs "locking In" During Mating
« on: December 11, 2005, 11:09:23 PM »
My bitch cocker is in her second season and is driving our male cocker insane with her flirty little dances. When we got the male we were told he was castrated and so were in no hurry to have the bitch spayed. Thinking that the dog was castrated we have been leaving him alone with the bitch however yesterday morning I walked in to find the two of them locked in together. Does this happen with dogs that have been castrated?

Also we have checked the base of his penis and there is no evidence of scar tissue visually or by touch. He by no means has testicles but does have small bald patch that feels like a bubble of air.

I'm becoming increasingly worried that we have been decieved and that the dog hasn't been castrated at all. If it helps the dog is 2 at the end of february. Can anyone shed any light?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dogs "locking In" During Mating
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 11:22:14 PM »
Castrated dogs are still quite capable of mating with a bitch but of course no puppies will result as long as the neutering wasn't recent. As long as your dog has no testicles, I think you can be fairly sure he has been neutered - you don't tend to see obvious scar tissue with a straightforward castration as only a small snip is needed to remove the necessary items ;) I suppose there is a chance he might have two undescended testicles but if so, he would be infertile anyway - it's more likely he's been neutered as you've been told.

Jane
Jane