Author Topic: Does she have a good enough predigree to Breed  (Read 3836 times)

Offline aces_Up1504@hotmail.com

• Site Member
Does she have a good enough predigree to Breed
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:21:12 PM »
Hi,

Having just found this site, it has enlightened me a great deal. We bought a working cocker just before xmas, with out knowing a great deal apart from the fact  a cocker had a the qualities we wanted in a dog.

But having read through her predigree, it apears she may have a decent history, could any one please enlighten me on how good her breeding is?

Parents:
Carrick Blaze
Cloonethu Diamond

GP

Roanlogde Dexter
Easton Flare
Roanlogde Treacle -FTCH
Misty Meadow of Cloondarone

GGP

Mallowadale Rackatear FTCH x2
Elan Linnet x2
Swallowlaw Copper
Lovely Melody
Nantycorn Pinic FTAW ( does anyknow what FTAW means?)
Mistymeadow Perfect Blue

GGP

Wernffrwd Siarl FTCH x2
Whinpark Chrissie of Squareclose x2
Elan Bracken of Upwey x2
Elan Garbo FTCH x2
Rusty Red boy
Swallowlaw Tinker
Parkbreck Eclipse of Mailscot FTCH
Pender Lucy
Wernffwd Dia Bach FTCH
Buntys Girl FTW
Jenoren Grgor FTCH
Ocean Sally Blue

GGGP

Maesydderwen Kestrel FTCH
Wernffrwd Silk FTCH
Maesudderwen Jackdaw FTCH
Anahar Allspice FTCH
Gwibernant Eel FTCH
Wellonhead Blondie of Elan FTCH
Jade of Livermore FTCH
Moanruad of Elan
Heath Hil Lad FTCH
Wenffrwd Wharfe
Anahar Whirlwind
Nancarrow Hightland Lassie
Simon of kenstaffe
Zelda of Cadboll FTCH
Rusty Red Boy
Cablea Sophie FTCH
Maesydderwen jackdaw FTCH
Wellonhead Blondie of Elan
Caradog of Iarl
BLack Bunty FTW
Bally of Jenoren FTCH

I have noticed Elan and Wernffrwd prefixs pop up a few times what does this mean?

you thought good and bad welcome, because at the end of the day, she is a pet and it wouldn make a differnece to us if we found out she was a mongrel lol

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Re: Does she have a good enough predigree to Breed
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:23:58 PM »
Can I just ask if you just got her what are your reasons for breeding?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 09:29:32 PM »
I have show type cockers so can't comment on her pedigree but you would have to be looking at the dog as a whole rather than just the pedigree. Is she a good example of the breed? Is she of sound temperament? My solid boy has a very good pedigree but he isn't good enough to breed from as he is on the small side and is quite an anxious dog. 

If you do a search, I'm sure you will find a lot of posts with regard to breeding. Also, if you haven't done so already, get yourself a copy of the "Book of the Bitch". Its a must have for every bitch owner - even I have a copy and mine are all boys ;) :005: :005:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:34:30 PM »
To be honest, if I were looking for a working cocker puppy , I would be less interested in the dames pedigree and more interested in her and the sires ability to work  :D

Do you plan to work her? If she shows exceptional skills as a working dog, along with clear health checks and a fantastic temperment, then she may be a suitable dame "to improve the breed" - but only if bred from in a responsible and reputable manner  ;)

Personally, I would keep her as a pet - good breeding doesn't mean a dog will automatically produce "good" pups - it takes endless expertise and huge emotional investment along the way  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline aces_Up1504@hotmail.com

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 09:35:22 PM »
We have had her since November, We are not really intrested in breeding at the moment it more about the quality of her pedigree incase we ever became interested in it.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:46:59 PM »
To be honest, if I were looking for a working cocker puppy , I would be less interested in the dames pedigree and more interested in her and the sires ability to work  :D

Do you plan to work her? If she shows exceptional skills as a working dog, along with clear health checks and a fantastic temperment, then she may be a suitable dame "to improve the breed" - but only if bred from in a responsible and reputable manner  ;)

Personally, I would keep her as a pet - good breeding doesn't mean a dog will automatically produce "good" pups - it takes endless expertise and huge emotional investment along the way  :-\

i'm with rachel 100% ....i have a beautiful working cocker boy with a sound pedigree and a fantastic temperament who i would love to breed from - but until i prove him in the field i would not consider using him as a stud ;)

your dog shares a lot of my working cockers relatives - gggp especially, and they are well known working cocker lines.
helen & jarvis x

Penel

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:26:32 PM »
Having just found this site, it has enlightened me a great deal. We bought a working cocker just before xmas, with out knowing a great deal apart from the fact  a cocker had a the qualities we wanted in a dog.

this statement worries me........... how much do you actually know about working cockers ?  did you know they were different from "normal"  :005: cockers ?
why on earth would you want to breed from your pet dog ?

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:06:13 AM »
A dogs pedigree alone won't guarentee heathy puppies of sound temperament and the ability to be succesful in what they were bred for, a working cocker would need to prove their worth working, a show cocker would need to prove their worth showing or in some cases working, breeding should be done to better the breed, not because you think she or he has a lovely temperament and would have nice puppies  ;).
Cayley.

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:37:50 AM »
i know the working cocker is becoming more popular with the pet owner.not sure why this is but i suspect it's to do with the fact that you're getting the typical cocker temperament without all the grooming thats involved with the show type.
good breeders spend an age finding the right dogs to pair up so that any offspring will be of sound mind and body.bad breeders just see pound signs reflected in their dogs eyes.then there are people who are so besotted by the dog they own they are convinced that others should have the luck to own one just like it,so decide to breed.what they often forget,is the research to find a compatible mate so any litter produced is worthy of that breed.i fear you fall into the third catagory.well intentioned no doubt and i'm not saying you shouldn't breed.thats none of my buisness(sp)but please before you go any further take a look at some of the rescue sites and look at the thousands of dogs that have ended up there through no fault of their own.would you want any of your puppies to end up in a kennel or worse still in a puppy farm being used to breed more unfortunate babies?
we have a cocker who is half worker half show.he is sooooo handsome i can't tell you how much he is doted on here at home.hubby wanted to breed from him coz he thinks he would produce lovely puppies,which in my opinion he would,but,i think all puppies are lovely.they would be far from the breed standard and as i have said earlier i couldn't live with myself if any of the puppies ended up with a less than ideal life.
why not enjoy your dog as a pet.leave the breeding to the experts and believe me when it comes to dog breeding you need to be an expert.i know all breeders had to start somewhere,but good breeders research for what imo seems to be years.it seems a lot of hassle for next to no return.
sorry i really tried to write this post without being negative or sounding condesending(sp)my brain has stopped working this morning).you will at the end of the day do whatever you wish.i am just trying to get my point across about some things that need to be thought through.

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »
I agree with all of the above posts.

FTAW stands for Field Trial Award winner, as apposed to FTCH( Field trial champion).
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 03:39:27 PM »
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 09:18:38 PM »
some hot stuff and some very nice lines iin there - wait and see for a couple of years how your pup turns out. have fun - take her to gun dog training classes etc. only breed if you know what you want to achieve by breeding ie for the betterment of the breed.
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 09:40:07 PM »
I have noticed Elan and Wernffrwd prefixs pop up a few times what does this mean?

Elan is a very old affix in working cockers - was owned by the late Lt Commander EJ Collard who made up many FT CH. Wernffrwd is also a very well known affix of today. The foundation was FT CH Gwibernant Snake and from her was a line of beautiful black FT CH bitches who in turn produced quality.

Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 06:58:28 PM »
my working bitch is from these lines, nice solid little dog and I'm looking forward to having her in the line.

Personally a pedigree isn't all that if you don't work your dog, I have a lovely weimaraner whose pedigree stems from some the best English/American/German lines both field and show, she's got more red on her pedigree than black by three to one with excellent conformation and working ability but I STILL wouldn't breed from her.

There are so many breeders out there already churning out dogs to be honest unless you had a good reason for doing so and money isn't a good reason then I'd leave it to other people, rescue services are full of good pedigreed pups last thing they need is a few more to add to the numbers.

Why not think about working your dog?? Its great fun and free exercise ;)