Author Topic: Looking for a female to mate with  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
Looking for a female to mate with
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:34:45 PM »
Hey all

I have a 12 month old cocker dog and he is delightful, I am thinking about breeding from him once only as I would dearly love one of his pups to keep, does anyone know how I can go about finding a bitch to mate with him?

Thanks

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Looing for a female to mate with
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:47:07 PM »
If you haven't already done so, have a read of our FAQ on using a pet dog at stud

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3420.0

I'm going to assume that he is a pet dog and that you don't show or work him so apologies if this is incorrect. TBH, you would probably be better off buying a pup from the same or similar lines to your boy than breeding from him.  I would have dearly loved a son from one of my boys but when I thought long and hard about it, there was nothing he could offer the breed that the many proven stud dogs out there couldn't so I didn't pursue it any further than having his health tests done. Instead, I got a puppy by his dad which was the next best thing with the added bonus of not being responsible for the pups that resulted from any mating that took place ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 09:00:44 AM »
Hello
Thank you for your information.  Yes he is a show cocker although we dont show him he is a pet he enjoy numerous countryside walks everyday.  As to his breeding line he comes from exlcellent stock.  Surely stud dogs have to start somewhere?  and need to prove themselves?

If you haven't already done so, have a read of our FAQ on using a pet dog at stud

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3420.0

I'm going to assume that he is a pet dog and that you don't show or work him so apologies if this is incorrect. TBH, you would probably be better off buying a pup from the same or similar lines to your boy than breeding from him.  I would have dearly loved a son from one of my boys but when I thought long and hard about it, there was nothing he could offer the breed that the many proven stud dogs out there couldn't so I didn't pursue it any further than having his health tests done. Instead, I got a puppy by his dad which was the next best thing with the added bonus of not being responsible for the pups that resulted from any mating that took place ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 10:17:43 AM »
Thank you for your information.  Yes he is a show cocker although we dont show him he is a pet he enjoy numerous countryside walks everyday.  As to his breeding line he comes from exlcellent stock.  Surely stud dogs have to start somewhere?  and need to prove themselves?

There are thousands of Cockers all over the country from "excellent stock" but that does not mean they should all be bred from. If you've read the link Gill pointed you to, you'll see that deciding to breed from a dog involves considerable knowledge and research - it's not just a case of putting together any dog with any bitch. You also need to realise that there is no shortage of experienced stud dogs with good show results and excellent health-screening results - even these dogs are not used at stud that much (with one or two exceptions) With so much choice available, there would be little reason for reputable breeders to use an unshown, unproven pet Cocker at stud. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is how things are in reality. If you decided you did want to learn more, then showing your dog would be a good way to meet other breeders and pick their brains about all aspects of breeding. If your boy did well, you may perhaps find that breeders will ask to use him, especially if you also do all the recommended health screening tests with good results.
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »
Hello

As Jane says they need to 'prove themselves' 1st in the show ring to see how they really compare with others, they don't 'prove themselves' by just producing pups. If he is such excellent stock then why not show him which would prove he was so good --- as I assume his 'excellent stock' became so by being shown in the ring.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Re: Looking for a female to mate with
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 11:03:26 AM »
I can only echo what has already been said by Gill, Jane and Penny  ;)

Penel

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »
Also you have to consider that your delightful pet dog might change slightly once he has become a stud dog...... they can become a pain in the backside when there are bitches around....
If you want another dog like him, I'd suggest you go back to the breeder where you got him from, and see if they are breeding again, perhaps you could get a relative to him ?

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »
Also you have to consider that your delightful pet dog might change slightly once he has become a stud dog...... they can become a pain in the backside when there are bitches around....

So have to second that. My Gunnar was a delight - no probems at all around bitches in season - untill he "caught" one :( After that, three times a year for up to three weeks at a time, ours and his life was a misery :( Only had to sniff a slight scent of a bitch in season and he was away. Snapped collars and leads in his attempt to find her. Got knocked over twice running out of the park. Spent the day and night beside the front door scratching and crying to get out and was constantly trying to relieve himself on toys, towels, cushions. Believe me untill you have lived with a dog thats c**k struck (to be blunt) you just cant imagine what hell it is

This isnt just my experience, a guy I lived around the corner to had a English Bull Terrier that was also a fantastic dog, put it to stud and that was it - could no longer hold him back when bitches were in season - and he was a big big lad. He had to neuter the dog come the end as he no longer had any control over him.

If you have a fantastic pet then keep him as a fantastic pet. Breeding takes time, money and a lot of very hard work, why take the chance of ruining your fantastic pet lad
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 08:51:02 PM »
Thanks to everyone to all their advice.  I took Zacky to a show today and I am pleased to say he one first prize!!  However, I will not been showing him again I think it is cruel and sad to do so he is a pet and that is what I want him for. Overhearing most peoples conversations about their show dogs made me realise what sad and pathetic lives these people lead who show there dog. (not all of them so no insults to you have have responded but cetainly the ones I heard!)  Zacky is wonderful I am proud of him but no more shows for me or him, I will put that time to better use - perhaps caring for a human being who craves attention!!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:11:42 PM »
I am sorry your showing experience was not a pleasant one. A lot of dogs enjoy showing, and as long as they are happy to do so, I don't see how it can be cruel.  You have said yourself that you just wanted him as a pet so why are you contemplating using him for breeding? That is not the role of a pet dog ;)

Offline dood

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 09:15:33 PM »
However, I will not been showing him again I think it is cruel and sad to do so he is a pet and that is what I want him for. Overhearing most peoples conversations about their show dogs made me realise what sad and pathetic lives these people lead who show there dog. (not all of them so no insults to you have have responded but cetainly the ones I heard!)  Zacky is wonderful I am proud of him but no more shows for me or him, I will put that time to better use - perhaps caring for a human being who craves attention!!

Oh Zacky, you may just have offended a lot of people on here. :shades:

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 09:27:30 PM »
So what is the role of a pet dog??? 

I am sorry your showing experience was not a pleasant one. A lot of dogs enjoy showing, and as long as they are happy to do so, I don't see how it can be cruel.  You have said yourself that you just wanted him as a pet so why are you contemplating using him for breeding? That is not the role of a pet dog ;)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 09:33:26 PM »
You tell me ;) You said you won't show him again as you got him as a pet and you want him as a pet. There are lots of activities you can do with your pet dogs - my 4 dogs are all pets and I have taken part in showing, obedience training, obedience displays etc etc. If you are saying a show dog can't be a pet then neither can a dog that is used for breeding surely??

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 09:51:24 PM »
I took Zacky to a show today and I am pleased to say he one first prize!! 

What category would that be in? 'The owner with the least tact'

Overhearing most peoples conversations about their show dogs made me realise what sad and pathetic lives these people lead who show there dog. (not all of them so no insults to you have have responded but cetainly the ones I heard!) 

I don't 'show' dogs - never have and never will - and my cockers are workers. But I find this comment incredibly insulting and offensive.

I will put that time to better use - perhaps caring for a human being who craves attention!!

And what is that supposed to mean?

I can only assume that you are deeply offended by the fact that no-one on COL has offered to mate their bitch with your Zacky!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 09:56:36 PM »
Well said Rhona W couldnt agree more!  ;)