Author Topic: Books on BARF  (Read 4750 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Books on BARF
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:33:17 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good book or two on BARF feeding and supplements needed please? The ones you have found the most helpful. Thanks.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Books on BARF
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:04:17 PM »
Kymythy Schultze (yes, dumb name) - can't remember full name something about Natural Nutrition, and Tom Lonsdale "Works Wonders" - also Dr Ian Billinghurst "BARF something" (maybe "The BARF Diet"?).  Lonsdale & Billinghurst are both vets.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:40:39 AM »
Thanks DennyK  :D . I shall try Amazon and see if any of them are available.
happydog

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
Kymythy Schultze (yes, dumb name) - can't remember full name something about Natural Nutrition, and Tom Lonsdale "Works Wonders" - also Dr Ian Billinghurst "BARF something" (maybe "The BARF Diet"?).  Lonsdale & Billinghurst are both vets.

I was going to recommend the exact same two!  The book by Kymythy that I have is called The Ultimate Diet - I think it's the same one.  They're good because they're not huge books that'll take you forever to get through and they provide a balanced view of overall raw feeding together - ie. Schultze recommends supplements and extras and looks at it from more of an overall health perspective; Lonsdale really champions bones to prevent against gum disease.  Together they give a really good balanced view.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 09:17:27 PM »
They're good because they're not huge books that'll take you forever to get through and they provide a balanced view of overall raw feeding together

Together they give a really good balanced view.
Brilliant. They sound just what I'm looking for  ;) .
happydog

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:53:26 PM »
Happydog - did you get any of these books?  Which do you recommend for the complete novice BARFer??  :huh:  I am wavering and would really like someone just to tell me exactly what to feed!  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
Happydog - did you get any of these books?  Which do you recommend for the complete novice BARFer??  :huh:  I am wavering and would really like someone just to tell me exactly what to feed!  :shades:
  :embarassed: Errr... not yet  :embarassed: . Life has intervened...

I shall be getting them though. Amazon has some of them. I too need to be told exactly what to feed. I have got Fern crunching happily on chicken wings though :D ... as an extra to her current food  ph34r . She is not overweight and is turbo charged on 'walks' so it wont hurt for a little while. I just needed to know she a) likes them and b) wasn't going to try to swallow them whole! I think it's probably got more to do with getting my confidence in feeding her BARF than in getting hers  :005:
happydog

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:38:14 PM »
Hmmm, I gave Coco some lambs heart yesterday which she loved! She loves most food come to think of it :005:  I guess I will get over the yuk factor of chopping it up!  She often has chicken wings and raw bones plus eggs, whizzed veg, sardines etc.  Her main diet consists of Naturediet though and since I have a case and a half left I will not be changing over to full BARFing until that is finished!!  ;)  I guess I should just go for it really! :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 10:06:09 PM »
I'm at a similar stage Julie  :005:  ;)
happydog

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 08:06:50 AM »
I have copies of the Kymythy Schultze book and Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale.  I was going to put them on ebay, but if anyone wants to buy them you can pm me.  I tried and failed at BARF with my two, so they are surplus to requirements.  I hope this is OK to put this, if it isn't please feel free to remove it.  :-\

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 08:51:40 AM »
Hmmm, I gave Coco some lambs heart yesterday which she loved! She loves most food come to think of it :005:  I guess I will get over the yuk factor of chopping it up!

I'm not keen on the yuk factor either!  That's why I feed these to Ruby whole, in the garden!