Author Topic: BARF UPDATE  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
BARF UPDATE
« on: November 16, 2006, 10:49:11 AM »
Hi,

As some of you know I started my 2 on the BARF diet about 2 weeks ago. 

Teri (8mth old) was constantly being sick, had the runs, tired and would go off her food every now and then.  However, ever since I have started her on BARF - she has put on weight 0.8Kilo so far, has loads of energy and I cannot stop her jumping around when she sees the bones or bowl of mince ;)  I cannot envisage her going off her food, as so far she is very keen.

I give her a little yoghurt and no her stomach does not make the grinding noises it used to....she is truly a changed dog.  She is also only having lamb mince, fresh sardines, lamb ribs - all in the hope to keep her stomach calm.

Annie (16mths) loves it all too....but had to eat her bones quick or Teri is on her case :005:

I have found that the minced meat in the frozen section of Tesco/Sainsbury is a cheaper option.  So far they have had everything from the Butcher.

I really like this diet - am trying to convert my sister so she can feed her kittens on Barf.

How are all the other converts going???

Thanks for all the advice so far....

Janex  (mum to Annie and Teri) :luv:
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: BARF UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:44:01 PM »
 :D Hey that is good news Jane! I have just updated on 'A BARF diary' so won't repeat all again here. Suffice to say apart from having to do a little juggling on the bone/veg-hard poo/soft poo front  ph34r , Fern is looking good too. She always did have a good appetite but is even keener now - didn't think it possible   :005: We are about two weeks ahead of you. It is amazing to see the difference in a poorly dog just by feeding it appropriately for a few weeks. Fern was I though bouncing with health before we started feeding BARF and even I have seen improvements. It sounds as though Annie and Teri are enjoying what Mum is doing for them  :luv:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:25:42 PM »
Coco started on BARF about a month ago and so far so good.  She is still having some meals of Naturediet as I still have loads left and it is a really good food but mainly she is having raw.  She is loving it and eating every scrap of the tripe, chicken wings, lamb ribs, lamb, turkey, beef or tripe mince, oxtail, lambs hearts, sardines, eggs etc etc.  Her poos are still a bit unpredictable - can range from Mr Whippy to little concret pellets but I am getting the hang of that! ;)  Several people have commented on how well she looks and she seems to be full of life (she was pretty lively before anyway) and I am sure her behaviour has improved although this may be wishful thinking on my part.  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 12:20:32 AM »
After reading all these glowing reports I guess it's time for me to start the BARF diet in earnest!

I think after reading these threads that I can figure out--and the dogs will survive the trial and error--the food and portions, but what I haven't worked out is the logistics of doing it, especially with 3 dogs who all eat at different rates (and one who is a toy breed--smaller bones?)

Someone said crate feeding, but then that would add washing greasy crates to my daily to-do list >:(

It would also mean changing feeding time, as right now feeding is in the morning before work and can be a rather rushed affair. I guess I can feed when I get home, meals can be thawing while I'm at work, then I will have the time necessary to make sure that HRH doesn't inhale hers and then mug everyone else for theirs :police:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Penel

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 12:23:23 AM »
Depends on how you want to feed.... if you just fed raw mince (with bone content) you can still feed in bowls, in the mornings.  Or you could feed the bone meals twice or three times a week, and mince meals the other times....

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:34:57 AM »
Depends on how you want to feed.... if you just fed raw mince (with bone content) you can still feed in bowls, in the mornings.  Or you could feed the bone meals twice or three times a week, and mince meals the other times....

I live in the States, I don't know where I can get mince with bone in :huh: I'm going to try a butcher I just found, maybe they can do it for me?

The prepackaged BARF offerings for dogs here probably average out to $2-$3 per pound! :o
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:15:12 AM »
Well after all three of mine having diarrhea I went back to feeding the frozen blocks from PAH. Their poo's very quickly returned to normal after a couple of days. My plan is to add in a food type one at a time, so I can work out what it is that gives them upset tums. Barney suddenly started with a bit of the runs just as I was going to give them a chicken wings. I gave him a bit of natural yoghurt, someone had told me to use it to help diarrhea. Well it did. No more after that.

So yesterday they had a block for breakfast and a chicken wings for tea. No problems after that, poo's ok this morning. So block this morning and sardines and egg for tea. Tomorrow it will be block again for breakfast, and if poo is ok then I'm going to try a block and veg. Just to see if the veg is ok with them.  I'll progress like this until I've worked my way through everything I had planned to give them.

Barney's coat is noticeably much more glossy, though he does have runny eyes. I've read this is normal to begin with.

So we're make slow but sure progress here.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »
Barney's coat is noticeably much more glossy, though he does have runny eyes. I've read this is normal to begin with.

So we're make slow but sure progress here.
Fern certainly had runny eyes for a few weeks. It is almost gone now.
happydog

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 05:12:04 PM »
Well Happydog and the diary got me started and we havent looked back since. Straight in at the deep end with lamb breast, chicken carcases(?) poultry necks and the AMP blocks and freeflow. They go nuts for eggs and sardines. Thanks once again.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 12:04:27 AM »
Well Happydog and the diary got me started and we havent looked back since. Straight in at the deep end with lamb breast, chicken carcases(?) poultry necks and the AMP blocks and freeflow. They go nuts for eggs and sardines. Thanks once again.
   :D It was Penel that inspired me. Just looking at pics of her dogs, especially Hattie who looks so much like Fern, made me jealous  :005: . I wanted my dog to look as well as hers do...and now she does  :D . I'm really glad I started it too.
happydog

Penel

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 09:22:30 AM »
Aww thanks, that makes me really happy  :D

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 09:42:56 AM »
Thanks to Penel too. My two get compliments on their coats all the time. When I remember to brush them that is :embarassed:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 12:27:02 PM »
   :D It was Penel that inspired me. Just looking at pics of her dogs, especially Hattie who looks so much like Fern, made me jealous  :005: . I wanted my dog to look as well as hers do...and now she does  :D . I'm really glad I started it too.

Me too!  Coco seems to be thriving on BARF and several people have commented on how well she looks.  :D  Only problem is, now it is even harder to tire her out  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
Great to hear everyone is doing well!! :D
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri