Author Topic: Recreational Bones  (Read 2784 times)

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
Recreational Bones
« on: November 17, 2006, 03:11:51 PM »
Firstly I am going to apologies to all those 'qualified' BARF-ers out there about asking this one (most probably asked before)!

I went to two butchers in our local town and asked for beef kneecaps - after reading it on Densil's Dibbley's Development Diary.  Both butchers didn't have them.  The one butcher didn't have any beef bones, the other one gave me these

are these ok to give Mollie & Daisy as a treat?

Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Recreational Bones
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:17:17 PM »
Well I am only a novice BARF-er but that looks perfectly OK to me. Watch the amount of fat as it may give them the squits (I haven't reached Fern's fat tolerance level yet, just be prepared :005: ) You might have to put them back in the fridge overnight if they're not finished in one go.
I am no butcher either but that looks like a rib or two to me, either that or they came from an emaciated  bow legged cow  :shades:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:26:22 PM »
Well I am only a novice BARF-er but that looks perfectly OK to me. Watch the amount of fat as it may give them the squits (I haven't reached Fern's fat tolerance level yet, just be prepared :005: ) You might have to put them back in the fridge overnight if they're not finished in one go.
I am no butcher either but that looks like a rib or two to me, either that or they came from an emaciated  bow legged cow  :shades:

An emaciated, bow legged, very short cow  :005: :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 05:36:29 PM »

An emaciated, bow legged, very short cow  :005: :005:

:005: :005: :005: ;)
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Penel

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 11:30:29 PM »
They're beef ribs, with a small bit of spine attached.  You can give them as recreational bones, but they are very hard - so I wouldn't let them eat the whole lot.... depends on how vigorous their chewing is really - my setter would eat the whole lot of that if I let her - but Tilly would just chew off the meat and leave the bone.....not my ideal choice for a recreational bone, mine have fab pork bones once a week, usually legs, shoulder blades, or neck...