Author Topic: Eye testing our cocker for breeding  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Eye testing our cocker for breeding
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 01:43:10 PM »
I do agree with Pammy - and can only speak for myself when I say that the guidance provided in the article about finding a reputable breeder, here, is the advice that I give anyone who asks me where they should buy their puppy  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »
If you've not done so yet, contact your bitches breeder, if they are reputable they would be able to tell you what tests need doing, the lines that would and wouldn't suit your girl, what colours she does or doesn't carry, what she lacks and what you need to look for in a stud dog etc  :blink:.

You need to be prepared for as many eventualities as possible. Breeding a litter is expensive and serious hard work, it can be very emotional aswel.

Cayley.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 02:28:07 PM »
I can only echo what everyone has said already. I've just had my second litter and it has been a VERY emotional and stressful time, not only for me but also for my bitch. She was quite ill 3 days after whelping and was almost at the stage of having to have an emergency spay. All the medication she was on caused her milk to not come down properly which meant I had to assist in rehydrating the pups and making sure they were getting enough and topping up the ones that were struggling. As all seemed to be going well we were floored to lose a puppy at 3 weeks which had been up until that time the one that I had put my heart and soul into to, we were heart broken  :'(

It takes a lot more than having a "nice" bitch to breed a litter. You have to ask yourself what are your reasons for doing it?  You need to be 200% committed to your bitch and every single one of those puppies for their rest of their lives.

Offline *Kerry*

• Site Member
  • Pipster
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »
Thank you all for the wonderful advice, but no-one seems to have answered my initial question but was more interested in attacking my reasons, I'm sure with the best intentions for the breed, but my question did state I am THINKING of breeding from my bitch and does anyone know where can I get her eyes tested in the South West area?

The end

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »
Thank you all for the wonderful advice, but no-one seems to have answered my initial question but was more interested in attacking my reasons, I'm sure with the best intentions for the breed, but my question did state I am THINKING of breeding from my bitch and does anyone know where can I get her eyes tested in the South West area?

The end

On the 1st page of this thread, Gilly's post third down, click the last link and it will help direct you to a list of all the vets that carry out the KC eye test  :blink:.
Cayley.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 03:01:12 PM »
Kerry - I did say that you would get more than a simple response to your question. People only want to ensure you are fully armed with all the facts. No one has "attacked" your reasons as you haven't actually given any. Therefore people are simply trying to help. This is a very emotive subject and the experience of people on here is incredibly valuable when looking to go down such a route.

They could assume you know everything there is to know and you could then find yourself in a terrible mess. Instead, we'd rather teach Granny to suck eggs etc and make sure that you do know all you need to. Sorry if you take this as attacking you.

If you want to know where to get the eye tests done - then you can approach the KC and they can give you a list of accredited vets. Unfortunately the KC won't then share their vast array of experience and knowledge with you to help you through the breeding process.  ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 04:02:42 PM »
Not yet we are looking to start with the eye tests and go from there.

We have quite a busy life just keeping up with Pip so probably wouldn't be looking to keep one of her off spring just yet. But still plenty of time to consider that before the eventful day.

A chap called Paul Evans at Zetland Road, Bristol does eye testing, but it's one day a month, so you will need to ring to find out when he's next there.  Other than that you can ring him at Eye Veterinary Clinic in Leominster and they'll give you dates and where his next surgeries are.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 04:06:36 PM »

The end

I did answer your initial question in my first post, I gave you all the links you need  ;) I wasn't attacking you, just making you aware of some of other things you need to think about  ::)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 09:01:06 PM »
Some of the open and champ shows hold eye testing clinics...so it's worth looking out for those shows and taking your dog along.  Some you have to enter your dog at the show to access the clinic, though. 

Also...in the back of dog world (not sure if our dogs also has it as I dont get that paper) there is often a list of eye test clinics...so that is worth a look.

It is possible to participate in a 20/20 optigen clinic that is out of your area, by getting your own vet to draw the blood and then posting it to the organiser of the clinic.

Offline fi61

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 12:04:33 AM »
As usual have not been on this site for a while but found your questioning very interesting, and the answers.   I would not just eye test but check for PRA through Optigen, I would also hip score and FN test.  We are lucky that those are the only tests we need to do, my IS needs far more tests than that.  Check hip scores and Optigen PRA, FN before breeding, surely we have all learnt enough by now to do these things, as a friend said a pretty bitch is one thing, getting the right matting is another if we want to keep improving our beloved cockers.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

Fi

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 12:15:30 AM »
actually I did the same gave a list of places that you can start from :(

You might want to take a look at the dogs in rescue before you breed a litter if you are not breeding to keep a puppy back and if your dog is only a pet it might make you think twice about breeding.