Author Topic: Is Molly too small to breed?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Is Molly too small to breed?
« on: March 03, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »
Hi my name is Lucy and i own a lovely tri colour cocker called Molly. We are wanting to breed her but have been told by other people she is too small?! Can anyone advise us on this as we only know 2 other cocker's who are similar in size to Molly.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l20/PeterC_2006/Dec-March032.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l20/PeterC_2006/Dec-March001.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l20/PeterC_2006/Dec-March031.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l20/PeterC_2006/Dec-March030.jpg

Any help appreciated as we don't want to breed her if she's not suitable.

Thanks Lucy

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Is Molly too small to breed?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:22:37 AM »
An interesting first post :-\ But the first questions have to be why do you want to breed from her & what makes you think she is suitable to breed from?
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 10:27:48 AM »
I agree with Pammy  ;)
If she isn't proven as a good example of the breed, usually assessed by winning shows, then breeding shouldn't really be a consideration....should it?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »
We are actually wanting to keep one of her puppies as we thought this would be a nicer way for her to get to know a new dog instead of buying one

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 10:30:41 AM »
We havent been able to show her as she isn't KC registered

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »
If Molly is not K.C registered then she can't be eye tested or hipscored under the K.C/BVA scheme, she could of course be Optigen tested for PRA/F.N. As the puppies will not be able to be registered you will find it Very difficult to sell an unregistered litter of puppies. There are always lots of cocker litters available and puppy buyers are very clued up regarding health tests and K.C registration.

If you are wanting another puppy then it would be much better to go and buy one. Breeding a litter is hard work and a very expensive way of obtaining a pup for your self.
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 10:37:50 AM »
Lucy, I recommend that you look through some of the threads and articles that are on this site such as this one
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/Reputable_Breeders/s/

so you get an idea of what Reputable Breeding is, and why most of the members of COL support this approach  ;)

What you are proposing is known as Backyard breeding -  breeders who think it will be a nice idea to breed their dog, with no real consideration for the KC breed standards, or the risks it entails and commitment required :(

There are many, many reasons why you would be better to find a breeder who health screens, and breeds dogs which are selected for complimentary temperaments and genetics.....please enjoy your bitch as a pet, and if you want another puppy, look to reputable breeders or rescue centres - good luck  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 10:38:36 AM »
Just cause you want another puppy doesnt mean you should breed. I love Loki but we have decided to go either to a rescue or go to the same breeder when its time to add another to our family (which will hopefully be when Loki is a year old ish) I hope you have really thought about the whole breeding thing thouroughly as its a lot of commitment and I know I personally couldnt handle it.

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 10:43:55 AM »
We have really thought about the whole breeding thing and as i am home all day thought it would be a nice idea, are you sure puppies that are not KC registered would not sell? As we bought Molly after all? I'm just asking for advice and am thankfull of everyone's thought's.

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 11:10:03 AM »
All you would be doing is perpetuating the problem of backyard breeding and not breeding for the betterment of the breed.

I don't want to appear brutal but looking at the pics and from what you have said I would not breed from this girl. And in no way would CoL condone this type of breeding anyway. You would not find any owner of a quality stud to support your venture either.

But if you decide you want to go ahead there's nothing anyone can do to stop you but think about the potential cost and I'm not talking purely financial. You could lose your girl and or the puppies. Are you prepared for that?

I'm sorry you are likely to get a lot of negative responses. I would be shocked if anyone supported you in this potential venture. If you wish to become a breeder of cockers - fine - but please go about it the right way and that starts with doing an immense amount of research then finding a reputable breeder who can then mentor you through the process and ensure you have a girl that is suitable for breeding from and that you do know what you are doing.

We are actually wanting to keep one of her puppies as we thought this would be a nicer way for her to get to know a new dog instead of buying one

As it is, you say you simply want another cocker. That's understandable - but there are much better ways of going about that and that starts with finding yourself a reputable breeder. ;) It will also cost you a lot less than breeding your own girl - if you do it properly with her and the puppies wellbeings at heart.
Pam n the boys

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 11:17:38 AM »
I agree 100% with Pam.

Can I be nosey & ask where you purchased her from? ie was it a kennel, shop etc. Did you see her parents?  :blink:

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 11:22:43 AM »
Thank you for your comments - we will not be breeding from her now! Just wanted to know if she would have been suitable and obviously she isn't!  :embarassed:  It is our fault really as we were not clued up on cocker's before we bought her and if i'd have known about all the tests her parents should have had (that obviously they didn't) i wouldn't have bought her. I'm glad i did though as she's a super dog - so loving and caring. We will now start the search for a breeder - anyone know of any? Thinking of an Orange Roan!!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 11:24:03 AM »
We bought her from **********. We didn't see her parents   :o

edited - please don't post the details of the kennel ;)

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 11:26:11 AM »
I agree with Pammy too ;)

Your girl is very beautiful :luv:, i'm sure you will find an equally gorgeous puppy from a responsible breeder who is KC registered and carries out all the relevant health checks :D

Where abouts in the country are you we may be able to help you find a breeder :D

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 11:26:58 AM »
Lucy - that's great news and very much the right decision imo.

To start your search for a new puppy - look at our FAQs on finding a breeder. Then go through our Finding a Puppy section and if you have any further questions, put a post in there.The colour consideration should be low down your list of priorities - but not one to ignore obviously. If you want a particular colour just be prepared to wait. You need to be prepared to wait to find the right puppy anyway  ;)

If you have a good trawl of the finding a puppy section you'll see many members wait an awfully long time for their puppies but that the wait is more than worth it.

Good luck!
Pam n the boys