Author Topic: ROAN ?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline spanielkiss

• Donator
ROAN ?
« on: June 08, 2007, 01:10:52 PM »
How long can it take for the pigmentation on a puppies foot pad to turn completely black/brown . I know gererally they say 10 days but has anyone had it take longer to truly identify a roan .?
Thanks in anticipation

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Re: ROAN ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:14 PM »
You can tell before the pad goes completely black. If there is a solid ring of black round the pads then it's a roan as it should gradually turn completely black, if it's 'and white' the pad will stay pink and go patchy  :D.   
Cayley.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
The pigment on our last litters feet came through around the 4th/5th day.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »
The ring of colour round the pads isn't fail safe - we registered our Jimmy as orange roan on that basis but he turned out to be orange & white ticked so we had to change his registration :005: It's easier to tell roan from "and white" on the blues than the oranges I find.
Jane

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »
The ring of colour round the pads isn't fail safe - we registered our Jimmy as orange roan on that basis but he turned out to be orange & white ticked so we had to change his registration :005: It's easier to tell roan from "and white" on the blues than the oranges I find.

Jane I'm starting to think that Aidee may be orange and white ticked rather than roan. How can I tell for sure and does it mean i need to change his details, as I'm assuming that you had to do that for showing.
I'm not that bothered what he actually is if I'm honest cos he's scrumptious however :D but it is nice to know :shades:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline spanielkiss

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 12:48:51 PM »
Jane , how did you know that he turned out to be orange and white ticked ??
Sally

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 11:06:01 PM »
Jane I'm starting to think that Aidee may be orange and white ticked rather than roan. How can I tell for sure and does it mean i need to change his details, as I'm assuming that you had to do that for showing.

Does Aidee still have a little bit of pink on his footpads? Also can you see ticks (clearly distinct flecks) of orange on the white areas of his coat rather than obviously roaned areas (orange & white hairs mixed together). If yes to both of these, then Aidee is orange & white ticked. We didn't have to change our Jimmy's registration for showing purposes - it was just for the sake of accuracy really, should anyone be interested in researching his pedigree at any time in the future :D
Jane

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 12:02:18 AM »
Elsie was and still is registered as an orange roan. 
Cayley.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »

Does Aidee still have a little bit of pink on his footpads? Also can you see ticks (clearly distinct flecks) of orange on the white areas of his coat rather than obviously roaned areas (orange & white hairs mixed together). If yes to both of these, then Aidee is orange & white ticked. We didn't have to change our Jimmy's registration for showing purposes - it was just for the sake of accuracy really, should anyone be interested in researching his pedigree at any time in the future :D

I cant find any pink on his pads...and I'm just so unsure about the flecks ph34r It doesn't matter at all really, just the curiosity of it all :D He is definately a very pale roan if he is roan, but I've not had to strip his coat out yet so maybe I'll be able to see a bit more clearly when I do

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 10:31:15 AM »
Poppy is listed as orange and white. She doesn't have any pink on her pads, but I have come to the conclusion that she s definitely orange & white ticked. There are tiny orange areas on her back - easier to see when she is wet. Lisa, from the pictures I've seen of Aidee, I think he's orange and white ticked too.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx