Author Topic: linebreeding?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline cupcakebarb

• Site Member
  • Oscar my baby boy n Bramble my baby girl
linebreeding?
« on: September 11, 2007, 01:01:24 PM »
Hi Im abit of a novice at breeding and have the chance to buy a bitch which has the same great grandfather as my dog.  If I was to choose to breed would this be ok??

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: linebreeding?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
If you have to ask the question, then tbh - I don't think you are ready to breed  :huh:   I recommend that you talk to the breeder of your bitch, and hopefully, she will be able to talk you through all the considerations :) This link may help, too:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3428.0

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 01:22:24 PM »
It would depend on how much you know about the lines involved. Line breeding can be a good technique but only if you have detailed knowledge of the dogs which appear in the pedigrees as far as temperament, health testing results etc go. If you don't have this knowledge, then you could be taking a big risk as line breeding will tend to bring out any genetic problems lurking in the background. To be honest, I think you need to get a lot more experience and knowledge under your belt before you even think about breeding - your dog is only 6 months old and is far too young to assess whether he should be used for breeding at all. He can't be hip scored yet and presumably you haven't yet had him DNA tested for PRA and FN? Please don't run before you can walk ;) Take the time to learn all you can about everything that's involved first - it's not something you can rush into if you intend doing things properly for the right reasons.
Jane

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
Your current dog is only 6 months old and may not even be suitable for breeding if he fails the health tests that can't be carried out till he's a year old. Owning an entire dog and bitch is not something a novice owner should do unless they have somewhere for the dog to go for 4 weeks when the bitch is in season. Breeding is something that if done correctly takes years to research and gain experience for. In the meantime you could take him to ringcraft classes with a view to showing him then you can get unbiased opinions on whether your dog would be a worthwhile addition to the gene pool  :blink:.

Have you had a read of the 'should I breed from my pet bitch' and 'should I put my pet dog up for stud' threads in the FAQ section?

Cayley.

Offline cockerella

• Site Member
    • Kennel Cocker Rebel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:55:45 PM »
 ph34r
Gro, Mazie Lucky and  Boogi
My Webpage: Cocker Rebel

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:20:12 PM »
*wanders in and wanders out to find a wall to bang head against*
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cockerella

• Site Member
    • Kennel Cocker Rebel
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »
Where did my text go ? It disappeared.
  What I meant to say was that I think it's good to ask questions, how else can we learn?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 09:05:59 PM »
What I meant to say was that I think it's good to ask questions, how else can we learn?

Some questions have already been answered though - and it's not hard to find  ;)

Quote from: Forum Etiquette
CHECK YOUR QUESTION HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN ASKED BEFORE POSTING
Many questions have been asked and answered before at some stage so you can save yourself some time by using COL’s internal SEARCH function (the Search button is located towards the top of your screen). You should also check out any recently posted topics and our FAQ Section in case the answer to your problem can be found there.
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cockerella

• Site Member
    • Kennel Cocker Rebel
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 09:13:35 PM »
Sure a lot of questions have been answered before, actually I think most questions have. It would be rather boring if nobody posted?

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:09:57 AM »
Just for the sake of fairness those FAQ also say don't ressurect old threads and sometimes a thread on a similar topic won't answer the exact question. I agree it's better to ask than assume.

Cupcake, I think that the advice you will get from here is, in short, leave the breeding to the experts or become an expert before even considering it.
As your dog is only six months old it's probably not best to introduce another pup at this age regardless of your intentions. It could result in training and behaviour difficulties for both from what i've read.

If your dog is from good lines it is likely you will find a number of litters now and in the future with the same grandparents as a good stud will have produced more than two litters. Have a look in the pedigree research section and you will see how alot of the same dogs crop up, you may even find that specific dog if you search his name.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline cupcakebarb

• Site Member
  • Oscar my baby boy n Bramble my baby girl
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 07:13:22 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advise I know it appears im running before I can walk so to speak but im just interested in learning all I can for the future.  Im not in no hurry to breed just thought maybe a couple of years down the line i might.  Understand my pups only a baby yet and plenty of time in future to add to family.  Thanks again