Author Topic: Canon Digital Compact Camera. Any good?  (Read 16930 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Canon Digital Compact Camera. Any good?
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:57:03 PM »
Canon Digital Compact Camera - PowerShot A570 IS
I'm thinking of buying this camera. I want a fairly good quality one for action shots (a turbo charged Fern and wildlife) and crystal clear close ups (to sell squillions of stuff on EBay as I am due a major clear out). I was given a ViviCam 3105s (3.2 megapixel) for Christmas last year for my first ever digital camera and it is dreadful. Any attempt at action shots produces a blur, jumpy videos and all shots are grey and grainy >:( .

Is this the right sort of thing I should be looking for? Has anyone got this model, if so how do you find it? Is it easy to use? Any drawbacks to using it? Do you have any shots you could post so I can see how good/bad it is?

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=102857&r=2007110

All comments welcome as I am a complete numpty when it comes to cameras and really could do with some help here. Thanks  guys :D
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Canon Digital Compact Camera. Any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »
No advice I'm afraid but I will be watching this thread with interest as I have finally accepted that I need to embrace the digital age  ::)  The Powershot is one I was thinking of too as I don't want to go too bonkers pricewise. That looks a good price too  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »
I'm watching this too!  Ideally I'd love an SLR but they're too big and I know I wouldn't take it everywhere!

I've seen this for about £155 http://www.samsungcamera.co.uk/product/pro_view.asp?prol_uid=3991&cat_uid=75

What do you think?  It has more megapixels which I presume is good  ::)  And it takes action shots.  I'm a bit of a numpty too but would love to have clear pics  ;)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:50:26 PM »
Have found some reviews.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2007/06/13/Canon-PowerShot-A570-IS/p1

Have bitten the bullet and bought it. Watch this space  ;) .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:15:37 PM »
Ohh, only just seen this. Let me know how it goes please? I'm trying to deciede between 3 Canon models at the moment  :-\
(The IXUS 70/75 and the IXUS 950 of a powershot one which name escapes me at the mo  :embarassed: )
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 11:17:50 PM »
Excellent - the reviews look good.  Have to admit I haven't a clue what some of it means but it sounds like a good buy to me - I am very tempted and that is a really good price!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:34:35 AM »
I have one of the previous generation to this one which I bought about 4 years ago (Powershot A85 which is only 4mps) and despite the fact it's now finally in pieces (THANKS SON!!!!!!!!), it has been VERY robust and taken some great photo's. I'm thinking about getting the one you've just ordered too so keep us posted!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 01:39:01 AM »
Hi Happy Dog  ;)

If you ask Nicola she gave me good advise on a camera ;)

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 02:00:13 AM »
I've just bought the Canon IXUS 950IS.  Found it very stable (image stabiliser built in), has a kids&pets setting (so already set up takings shots of manic crazy moments  :005: ) plus loads of other settings, low light levels, night shots, foliage, beach, snow etc!

So far so good. Any pics I've posted recently have been taken with it...I took this one this morning, hope it helps ( http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z295/jb1200/?action=view&current=IMG_0689.jpg )

Jen x

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 02:03:42 AM »
Ohh, thanks Montymoo, I've been looking at sites that show 'test pictures' from the cameras i'm looking at but none of them seems to be Cockers! :shades:
Have you found your camera good for taking 'action' and close up portrait shots?
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:48 AM »
I have just hoofed out our Canon for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3.  Lovely camera for a small thing, has settings for all occasions (if you remember to change it ph34r) and head and shoulders above the Canon we had but can't remember which it was as OH has taken it to work.  I love the big viewing screen in particular. 
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »
Ohh, thanks Montymoo, I've been looking at sites that show 'test pictures' from the cameras i'm looking at but none of them seems to be Cockers! :shades:
Have you found your camera good for taking 'action' and close up portrait shots?

The only thing I have found with taking action shots is you need to change the setting or get the focus right!  My only crime has been not reading the manual or not changing the setting!!  The camera takes amazing shots regardless of whether they are close up portrait or distance shots so long as you change the setting!! (which is very easy to do) :005: Image stabiliser on the camera is excellent as you don't get shaky-hand syndrome!

Have you looked at:  http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-reviews/photos.cfm?photo=canon-ixus-950-is&title=Canon%20IXUS%20950%20IS It has test shots for most cameras!! (it's on the IXUS950IS at the moment just need to click on reviews and it'll bring up the full list with THEIR score out of 100 for it.  All test shots are all taken of the same subjects so you can compare the cameras alongside one another.

Good luck x

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 01:38:52 PM »
There are lots of camera review websites which is how I chose my camera.  Just type camera review into google ;)

I have recently bought the Finepix F31fd and am very pleased with it.  Here's my camera and I find this review site excellent:

http://www.ukdigitalcamerareviews.co.uk/fuji_finepix_f31fd_reviews.htm

Mary & Lottie x

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 01:46:43 PM »
We have a Canon Ixus 70 which is good, nicely pocket sized and takes good piccies.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »
I have a Canon A720 which is fantastic. It has loads of settings but can just be a point and shoot if you want. Its never taken a bad pic