Author Topic: Using the hall as a toilet!  (Read 1779 times)

Offline the copleys

• Site Member
Using the hall as a toilet!
« on: January 09, 2004, 01:09:10 PM »
Can someone please help us? :(
Jarvis was using the paper really well and we have now got it out in the back lobby by the back door so we are gradually encouraging him to go in the garden to ' do his do'!
We have just had laminated flooring put down in the hall and he has started doing his do on it!! AAAHHHH!! :x
What started off so well  is going horribly wrong, he did it in front of me this morning  even though he had just been out in the garden!
What are we doing wrong? how can we stop him from doing this?

Julie Copley                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 01:37:01 PM »
Hiya Julie...try this link to our FAQ on toilet training http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=2014

Gilly                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 06:15:14 PM »
If he is using the paper near the back door how about putting a sheet down in the hall and see if he uses that instead of the laminate floor.  If he is associating paper with doing his business then he should use that in the hall too.  After a couple of days perhaps take it away and perhaps he'll seek out the paper at the back door again :? Just an idea :?:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 07:24:38 PM »
Hi Julie, Not sure of the layout of your house...could  You
restrict access to the hall? or does he need to use the hall to get to the paper in the lobby? If it`s the latter then you are going to need to be extra vigilant and if he heads in that direction follow him  or as Mary suggested leave some paper there. If it's the former then could you block access to the hall with a gate? Sometimes when puppies have a lot of freedom in a house they forget which direction to head when nature calls, and just go in the nearest place.  It is frustrating though if pup has just come in. Do You stay with Jarvis when he goes outside? I stay with mine till they have performed and give lots of praise. We are lucky that we have a huge kitchen where we spend most of our time,  and there is easy access to the garden.
 I'm sure you puppy will get the message soon. At least laminated flooring is easy to clean :D
Tracey :D                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline the copleys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 04:53:21 PM »
Thanks for your replies!
My house is an old victorian terraced with a long narrow hall, we need to go down the hall to get to the kitchen and to the back lobby where the back door is!! I have put his 'bed' (a huge floor cushion) over the area in the hall where he has been peeing and he seems to have stopped since I have done this! (fingers crossed!) :)  He is also peeing out in the garden too (but not every time) he even did a poo in the park the other day!!! :D
Maybe I just need a little more patience. Apart from that he is a little star!!