Author Topic: What do you mix with your dried food  (Read 4276 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
What do you mix with your dried food
« on: January 16, 2004, 03:15:18 PM »
Dear all

Honey is enjoying her JWB kibbles, which we add a little boiled chicken to. I am concious of protein levels, but wondered if there were other things I could add so as to vary the diet slightly (still with the JWB as the main 'base')

Can you give them supermarket mince, for example?  We've tried her on the beef/tripe stuff that we bought frozen from pets at home which she seemed to enjoy aswell.  Yummy (not!)  :lol:

Thanks
Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 03:54:39 PM »
Hi Phil

I started adding Nature Diet to Georgia's food when she was as young as Honey and she had the worst diarrhoea ever.  I probably did it too suddenly and I think it was probably too rich for her.  It's a perfectly good food and in actual fact now that's she's older every now and again I give her a tiny, tiny bit as a treat and it's she loves it.  It's good to keep her guessing!!  :wink:

I suppose I'm asking do you feel you really need to add anything to the JWB kibble at this stage?  It is a complete and well balanced food so you shouldn't need to add anything to it apart from a splash of warm water.  The last thing you want is Honey getting really picky and turning her nose up at things and deciding she's not going to eat anything unless it's got something else in it at this early age which she may do if you start trying to 'jazz up' her food now.  :)

What about trying her with different flavours of of JWB?

Loraine   :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 06:10:49 PM »
Hi Phil

My Boys are all on Bakers Complete, they absolutely love it but they do get varied things in it from Sardines, Tuna, Nature Diet, Butchers Tinned, Cooked Minced Beef, Raw Chicken Wings, Grated Cheese and Boiled Rice.  They don't have things mixed in it every day or they would soon turn their noses up when I just gave them the plain Bakers but every other day or so they get something tasty in it.

With her being so young I would only introduce a few little things, maybe scrambled egg or grated cheese.  If you are happy to give her different things every other day then try her out with little amounts and see how she does.  Ensure that her main meal is her biscuits and just add what ever you fancy in with it.

JMT                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 07:40:06 PM »
Thanks Loraine and Dessie for your replies.

What is Nature Diet, and where do you get it from?  I seen it mentioned a few times on here.

I will stick with JWB for all her meals, but maybe add in a few surprises now and again as she gets older :wink:

Cheers
Phil                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 08:25:42 PM »
You can buy Nature Diet from Pets at Home Phil, and probably most good pet shops  :) here is a link to their site if you want to read a bit about it http://www.nature-diet.co.uk/ and I think you'll find they do a puppy variety  :wink:

One word of caution though.....some dogs just except the fact that they might get a little treat in their dinner and are quite happy with that...others won't eat any of the dried kibble UNLESS you put something in it, basically what I am saying is you don't want a picky eater (trust me  :wink: ) so at this age...I would be inclined to get her eating the dried food by itself as much as possible  :wink:

Gilly                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 08:54:26 PM »
Hi Phil

As Gilly said there I would be inclined to stick with the JWB!!  I gave Indie far too much choice from a young age and now she is a picky eater :roll:  which is very hard work at times :x   She will not eat her dried kibbles, unless she has something in it :roll:  which ranges from the butchers pouches, tuna, pilchards, scrambie egg, cheese, pasta or rice :shock:  I steer clear of giving her cooked meats such as chicken, as this tentds to make her sick.  I have got the amount of meal additions down now, she has mostly dried kibble now, with just a bit of her fave thing added :)  I have to varie it quite alot, or she soon gets fed up and stops eating, till I give her something thats interesting again :roll:

By all means give treats, keep them small, and for now I would go along with what the others have said, keep them out the kibble :wink:                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 09:53:00 AM »
I will stick with JWB for all her meals, but maybe add in a few surprises now and again as she gets older :wink: Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil

A few little surprises every now and again will keep her guessing and with mine I have found that they eat whether there is something in it or not.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 11:08:26 AM »
Just wanted to say I agree with whats already been said. I have only just started to add Nature diet to Phoebe's dry food. She is on JWB and she starting to go off it a little. She is 18 months old and I didn't want to add anything before as I had seen the problems others have had with picky eaters :? .

We only add about a 6th of th pack of nature diet just to add a bit of interest.

On a similar vein does anyone feed Autarky? I think some of you do. I have seen it in Tesco and have tried a bag with Phoebe. What do people think?                    
Anita

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 12:12:14 PM »
Hi Anita i feed Nell on Autaky, and i find it just as good as jwb. Emmas dog indie is also on it.
 I have found no difference  in her health or coat condition at all. It is still lovely and shiny. :D

The only difference i have found is in my purse.    :wink:  Its less than half the price of jwb. I would reccomend it to anybody.  :lol:
 Thanks to Lynseyloo who told us about it!  Its saved us a fortune!  :lol:

Barb                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 02:51:53 PM »
Quote from: "Anita"

On a similar vein does anyone feed Autarky?

I thought this was aimed at working dogs, so haven't tried it. Or do they also do a 'pet' version?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 03:38:11 PM »
Autarky was developed for working dogs hence it can be sold without VAT which is why it's cheaper than some other complete foods.                    
Jane

lynseyloo

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 03:55:17 PM »
yes as Jane rightly pointed out it is aimed at workin dogs, but after speaking to Autarky I found that this was a clever marketing ploy, and that it is indeed very well suited to 'some' other pet dogs aswell, but as with any food it wont be for all.

Jessie and Poppy love theirs, and I wouldn't be without it.  just hoping one day they will let me sell it locally..  :lol:  I ahve to do a bit of a treck to get mine..  :lol:                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 04:12:36 PM »
Ah good!
When Boysie's nearly finished his bag of JWB, I'll start switching him to this- assuming I can get my hands on it!                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 05:20:29 PM »
On a similar vein does anyone feed Autarky? I think some of you do. I have seen it in Tesco and have tried a bag with Phoebe. What do people think?

I give this to Vegas on alternate days as I don't think I've quite got the balance of natural feeding spot-on yet :roll:  I was a bit dubious about trying him with it due to his allergy but he's doing great and loves it. I get mine delivered from a local pet shop and only costs $15 per 15kg bag rry, can't get the pound signs on this keyboard :? ) which is  half the cost of Burns which the other two get :D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 06:07:40 PM »
You can buy Autarky in Cosco as well , and its £9 99 for 15 kg bag.  :D

Barb                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~