Author Topic: Pulling on the lead-halti?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead-halti?
« on: January 24, 2004, 09:33:43 AM »
I'm using a nylon puppy collar, and lead for Indie, and am wondering if I should get a halti? He's so excited to get out for a walk, he pulls the whole way. If I stop, he literally hangs himself by leaning on the collar in mid air.

He's choking and wheezing all the way, and I'm so scared he's going to damage himself. Should I try a halti, or persevere?

He's doing well off the lead, but I can't let him off going to collect the kids from school, for example. It just sounds horrible!

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 09:47:13 AM »
Hi Shona,

take a look at thi thread I started on this subject

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=2247

Personally, I decided the halti wasn't for me, Millie hated it and its made our walks more stressful than the pulling in the end!
I persevered with Pammy's technique and althugh Millie doesn't walk exactly to heel, she doesn't pulls as much as she used to at all, and just needs reminding every now and then when she forgets - a quick about turn and she gets all mopey and miserable, she doesn't pull once we turn back the right way  :)

I hope that its useful for you  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 10:41:44 AM »
Witha  young puppy, I would try and train him out of it rather thn resort to a halti just yet. I hope I'm not jinxing myself but mine are actually starting to get a bit better - just when I'd given up hope :lol:  I was worried like you as when Vegas pulls, he makes himself sick and his gums go blue :shock:  When it gets to this stage, I just stop dead until they return to heel(turning round and walking the other way is a bit more difficult with 3 :wink: ). Good luck.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 11:03:51 AM »
I agree with Gill to try training him out of it. When I got Wilf though he was on an ordinary harness rather than a collar (and for some reason he just didn't pull much until recently—now almost 8 months). Yesterday I went to a training class to teach me how to walk both to heel at the same time, which was interesting!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!