Author Topic: urgent help please re pooh!!  (Read 3023 times)

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
urgent help please re pooh!!
« on: January 25, 2004, 06:45:16 PM »
Sorry to only ask for advice and not to give anything to this forum hopefully that will soon change!

We got Bon Bon last Thursday and she is 8 weeks old tommorow. She is very tiny weighing only 1.75kg.Have just posted a couple of photo's.
Im really worried about her pooh and in a bit of a panic tonight!

Her pooh is very soft not what you would call watery runs but not how it should be Im sure.

She has done one tiny solid bit this morning( then back to 4 more custards) but since Thursday night it has been the consitency of custard.

On friday she had her first injections, yesterday we gave her the Frontline spray treatment and started her 3 day panacur treatment so she has had a really stressfull 4 days plus she has Barney her border collie brother who is 25 times bigger than her to get used to ( so far no probs ).

should I be concerned about her non solid pooh? in her self she seems bouncy and alert, she is drinking well(water) and I have slowly switched her from gain which the breeder gave us ( tiny bag) to bakers complete for puppies. Im not adding any water to it from today.
I gave her some live bio yoghurt yesterday but things are still custard like ( all orange coloured)

She is not going ever so frequently ( 2 to 3 hours between poohs)
her breath also smells foul,not normal doggy breath.

Should I stop her food for 24 hours
Did she ought to go to the vet in the am?
Or is this normal considering the drugs, flea treatment and new home!

Any advice would be very much appreciated hope Ive given enough info

Jane and Bon Bon

forgot to say her appetite seems fine Im giving her about half a tea cup of bakers 4 times a day is that about right?                    
Dull women have immaculate homes

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 09:18:15 PM »
Hi Jane & Bon Bon

I would say that it is probably from her first injection, frontline spray and panacur treatment that is making her poos a bit different.  I probably would of staggered the flea and worm treatments rather than doing it all within a few days of the injection, but as long as she is eating and drinking as normal and not being sick I would say things should settle down.  

HTH                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 09:32:43 PM »
many thanks it was the vet who said do the lot together.

Barney had such a terrible time when we got him with worms and fleas we did'nt want bon bon to go through the same( or us!)
She has no sign of worms or fleas though, thankfully.

How much longer shall I leave her to pooh orange custard before I should do something?                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 08:25:31 AM »
many thanks it was the vet who said do the lot together.

Barney had such a terrible time when we got him with worms and fleas we did'nt want bon bon to go through the same( or us!)
She has no sign of worms or fleas though, thankfully.

How much longer shall I leave her to pooh orange custard before I should do something?

Hi, to be honest, Indie has a couple of those poos too, when he was tiny. I wasn't too concerned as he was eating and drinking well. He still has runny poo sometimes on nature diet dog food, we changed over to Burns and it stopped.

I agree with the excellent advice you have been given, it's probably a reaction to the worming, flea stuff, and everything. So long as she's srinking and eating well, I'd be hoping she'd be back to normal soon.

Easier said than done, I know how worrying it can be, I hope she's better soon - or phone the vet and ask him?

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 10:01:31 AM »
I think the others are right - vaccinations, worming treatment & Frontline all within a few days might jave just overloaded her little immune system. I have had problems with Panacur in the past with puppies & so no longer use this product although it suits other dogs very well. I see you have also changed Bon Bon's food - has she ever been "solid" on the new food? If not, this may not be the best food for her. Bakers Complete does suit many dogs but it may not suit one with a sensitive tummy (as it contains artificial colourings, preservatives etc). I would put Bon Bon on a bland diet of plain chicken & white rice for a few days & then once her poos are normal, reintroduce the complete food & see what happens.                    
Jane

lynseyloo

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 12:01:47 PM »
I know bakers doesn't agree with my two and their No2's go very orange on it, so I changed..  :?                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 12:23:19 PM »
I think the others are right - vaccinations, worming treatment & Frontline all within a few days might jave just overloaded her little immune system. I have had problems with Panacur in the past with puppies & so no longer use this product although it suits other dogs very well. I see you have also changed Bon Bon's food - has she ever been \"solid\" on the new food? If not, this may not be the best food for her. Bakers Complete does suit many dogs but it may not suit one with a sensitive tummy (as it contains artificial colourings, preservatives etc). I would put Bon Bon on a bland diet of plain chicken & white rice for a few days & then once her poos are normal, reintroduce the complete food & see what happens.

You may well have hit on the source, Jane. My breeder had Indie on the Bakers complete when he arrived, and his poos weren't what I'd call solid till he's been on the Burns mini bites. I too noticed the orangey colur, I've thrown the bakers out, and won't use it again.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 04:43:25 PM »
I don't like to use Bakers either.  A friend of mine who runs a pet shop likened it to us eating MacDonalds all the time, good to look at, full of flavouring and preservatives and not much goodness in it. I would follow Jane's sound advice of chicken and rice for a day or so and then slowly revert back to the food your breeder gave you  :wink:                    

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 06:35:08 PM »
many thanks everyone. She had a spot of blood in her pooh this am so she has been to the vets and has some pills.
I have given her boiled rice and scramble egg this evening and will give her this for the next 24 hours.

Much appreciated
Jane                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 04:19:19 PM »
You're welcome Jane, hope it won't be long before Bon Bon is back to normal :D                    

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 10:54:39 PM »
Ive ordered some Burns it should arrive tommorow. I have kept her on the scrambled egg and boiled rice but it is still runny bot!!! her pills are Kaobiotic and she has 4 days supply anyone familiar with kaobiotic and how long they take to work?

Not sure how to intoduce the Burns as I dont want her back to square one? but I would like to get her on it asap

appreciate any advice
Thanks
Jane                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 07:59:34 AM »
I'm a big fan of Kaobiotic but we can't get them up here anymore :(  When I've used them with Brook, I've noticed that he dries up quite quickly. I used them along with the bland diet. Sometimes when he has been quite bad, he gets a course of oxycare along with it. Fantastic combination :D  But the oxycare shouldnt be used in young pups as it damages the enamel on their teeth(or something like that).                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2004, 04:59:08 PM »
Hi Jane,

One of the best products, that I have ever used is Montmorillonite, Diarrhoea Suspension - it really is brill.

You give 5ml per 10 kilo body weight, I use a syringe. (It's easy to work out how much to give baby puppies.)
I ALWAYS have some in my doggy medicine cabinet. It can even be given to pregnant & lactating bitches.

The blurb says that it's "far more effective than Kaolin" & I agree.

No I'm not on commission  :lol:

The company often have a 3 for 1 offer going, the last time I ordered some, I got 3 x 250 ml bottles for £20.27, but it may have gone up since.

Their website is www.aviform.co.uk                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.