Author Topic: Pulling Puppy shooting in2 road  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
Pulling Puppy shooting in2 road
« on: January 26, 2004, 01:10:29 PM »
Hello
Today on a walk out with our 5 month old....we had a moment of sheer terror. :cry:  We usually walk him on an extendable lead .. and we were walking around quite deserted residential streets... anyway our puppy pulls quite a bit and seems to be getting stronger by the minute.. today he yanked so hard the lead slipped out of my hand and he shot up a gravel path directly into a road where a car was approaching .... I was so terrified i didn't want to make chase as i knew this would encourage.. luckily the clanging of the extendable lead frightened him so he came back and missed collision. :shock:

I obviously don't want or expect this to happen again but i did wonder if anyone had any tips for recall at this age... or anyone with similar experience. It has shaken me up quite a bit .. .although puppy is fine and doesn't realise how close he came. :(

any advice??

thanks!                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 01:40:51 PM »
Hi Barney

Please don't use an extending lead for general lead walking - they can be very dangerous & can actually teach your puppy to pull if you use them regularly -as the pup gets used to being ahead of you. For general road walking, you'd be better off using a strong nylon lead (or leather if you prefer) & keep the extending lead for practising your recall training only. You'll find lots of previous threads about teaching the recall & also about pulling on the lead (the number 1 Cocker trait I think :lol:) so do have a read through them - I'm sure you'll find the tips given useful.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 02:30:26 PM »
I'm sorry you got such a fright! That's why I don't use one of those leads, that's my fear with them. I'd buy an ordinary one, and practice with that,

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)