Author Topic: Question about my friends litter  (Read 5009 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Question about my friends litter
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:09:40 PM »
My friend had a litter of working cockers born about 8 weeks ago - first one was breach and died, the other 4 seemed to be fine.

After a day another died, then 2 days later another! (suspected liver failure) :'(

The 2 left (1 girl, 1 boy) seemed to be doing really well and my friend had decided to keep the liver and white (girl) and was letting his friend keep the black boy.

Anyway, he took the pups to the vets for their first injections and health check today. The vet examined the boy and confirmed that he was a healthy pup, fit to be re homed later this week!

But when the vet examined Bracken (friends pup) he said he was so surprised the pup had lived 8 weeks, when my friend asked why the vet told him that Bracken didnt have an anus  :o and that she would have to be put down  :'( Bracken was put asleep this afternoon  :'(

The vet said that about 1 in 100 matings result in these kind of abnormalities and I was just wondering if there was any truth in this??

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Question about my friends litter
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:00:40 AM »
Poor baby  :'(

When I worked in the emergency pet clinic years ago, we euthanized a couple of puppies (unrelated, different breeds) who were born with no anus, but they were much younger. I too am amazed that Bracken lived so long

I have no idea about 1 in 100, I suspect it may be a bit less, but yes, congenital defects do happen  :-\
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:02:44 AM »
poor little mite :'(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:02:44 AM »
that's enough to put me off breeding for life....sleep tight little ones  :'( :'(
helen & jarvis x

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:14:39 AM »
Sorry Lucy I dont mean to sound like I'm having a go at anyone(and certainly not at you  ;)), but presumably the pup couldn't poop then? Did no one actually notice that? :-\

that's enough to put me off breeding for life....sleep tight little ones  :'( :'(
ditto

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:34:29 AM »
Sorry Lucy I dont mean to sound like I'm having a go at anyone(and certainly not at you  ;)), but presumably the pup couldn't poop then? Did no one actually notice that? :-\

That was my first thought too  :huh:  Run free little pups  :'(

Me too  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:46:02 AM »
Oh poor little babies  :'(

Run free little ones  :luv:

* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »

Thats exactly what I thought and havent said anything to my friend because he is still very upset!

I guess because they are outside in kennels and there was another pup he just assumed it was pooing as normal as I guess any of us would do - I know it wouldnt of even occured to me!

that's enough to put me off breeding for life

Deffinitely - it must be heart breaking  :'(

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »
I have heard of puppies born without anuses too but they're usually spotted very quickly by the breeder when they check over the pups after being born. I'm amazed this poor pup survived for 8 weeks - that must be some kind of a record :o I'm sure your friend is very upset (anyone would be) and would guess this must be their first litter & they weren't getting any guidance from an experienced breeder which is a shame :( Sadly congenital abnormalities do occur (as they do in human babies) but it can only be guesswork as to how often they happen since statistics on puppy defects like this aren't collated anywhere.
Jane

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:47:58 AM »
oh how terrible, poor little souls - that must have been painful for little Bracken?

definitely opens your eyes to breeding...and 1 in a 100 is not a lot at all :huh:
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »
would guess this must be their first litter & they weren't getting any guidance from an experienced breeder which is a shame :(

Its actually their second and last litter with Fern, the Mum! They kept Teal from the last litter (a gorgeous black girl)

I didnt know my friend when they had the other litter but know that all the puppies were fine.

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
That's so so sad  :'(
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 11:21:09 AM »
Poor pup, I'm also amazed that they didn't notice it though and that she survived so long. It can also happen in human babies, there's an operation which can be done to fix it but it's not usually an option in a tiny puppy.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 12:32:39 PM »
its a pity really that no one is looking at this sort of thing as a study in genetics.  The healthgene people in america might be willing to look at something like this if it was suggested they are doing an awful lot of research into dogs and topics of study can sometimes be suggested.

Do the Cocker Clubs keep records if they are sent details??

If not maybe this is something that I can add to the database I'm making at some point.  I have the same for weims and its confidential used only for tracing by the club or people whose dogs have a similar problem so that they have someone else to talk to.

The more I think about this poor little mite really is a miracle that he managed to survive as long as he did.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
My question is  why was the first vet's visit 8 weeks after the pups were born?  Just seems strange that that is the first time the vet has seen them -  the breeder I use has all his puppies checked over a couple of days after they're born just to make sure there is nothing wrong that he hasn't picked up...

I'm not going into a tail docking debate here, but I suppose these kind of things were naturally picked up at a very early stage when the pups were taken in to be docked?

helen & jarvis x