Author Topic: Question about my friends litter  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Question about my friends litter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »
its a pity really that no one is looking at this sort of thing as a study in genetics.  The healthgene people in america might be willing to look at something like this if it was suggested they are doing an awful lot of research into dogs and topics of study can sometimes be suggested.

Abnormalities like this are not necessarily genetic though - they can be caused by something the bitch came into contact with during pregnancy (infection, toxins etc). The fact there were problems with other puppies in this litter suggests to me that maybe environmental factors were more important than genetics here although nobody will ever know that for sure. Much as I support research into genetic conditions, we have to accept that resources for research are always going to be limited and are perhaps better targetted at conditions which are more widely seen than this one :-\

Jane

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 03:22:25 PM »

I'm not going into a tail docking debate here, but I suppose these kind of things were naturally picked up at a very early stage when the pups were taken in to be docked?

that is a point I guess, but the way I think is I'm guessing  from my horse breeding days....you watched for the foal to pass its stuff...ok so its only one foal at a time to check, but it should be a similar process in my mind. I constantly check the dogs poop now...maybe I'm just obsessed!!

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
but the way I think is I'm guessing  from my horse breeding days....you watched for the foal to pass its stuff...ok so its only one foal at a time to check, but it should be a similar process in my mind. I constantly check the dogs poop now...maybe I'm just obsessed!!

Yes it's the same process with puppies :D I'm always on poop patrol when we have a litter and with newborns, I like to see they've all passed a poop within a few hours of being born (some will "go" almost as soon as they are born)
Jane

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »
I'm not too sure how he's overlooked Bracken not pooing but i'm sure he feels awful about it now.

I guess it is just that he is an unexperienced breeder  :huh:

He not going to breed again - I think this has shocked him very much!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 04:26:41 PM »
I'm not too sure how he's overlooked Bracken not pooing but i'm sure he feels awful about it now.

and I'm really sorry that its happened it is sad...but if one person 'thinkin'about breedin with their dog reads this and thinks better of it or realises one more thing they have to do for the pups then I'm glad its been mentioned ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »

and I'm really sorry that its happened it is sad...but if one person 'thinkin'about breedin with their dog reads this and thinks better of it or realises one more thing they have to do for the pups then I'm glad its been mentioned ;)

I agree Lisa  :'(    I think it is what is called "learning the hard way"  :-\  I definitely think breeding is left to the experts  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
Like you I agree that if this thread has put at least one person off breeding then thats great but my friend had bred dogs before - this is his 2nd litter with Teal but had bred many times before with other dogs.

I know that what has happened to this litter is awful BUT it could have happened to any breeder.

Yes, another breeder may have recognised the fact that Bracken was abnormal but she would have had to be put to sleep anyway.

I agree Lisa  :'(    I think it is what is called "learning the hard way"  :-\  I definitely think breeding is left to the experts  ;)

I am not trying to get into an argument here but all experts have to start somewhere - my friend did everything a breeder should have it was just unlucky that this litter was not a sucessful one  :-\

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
Sleep well little ones  :luv: x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 05:36:16 PM »

agree  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »
I know that what has happened to this litter is awful BUT it could have happened to any breeder.

Yes, another breeder may have recognised the fact that Bracken was abnormal but she would have had to be put to sleep anyway.

.....and Bracken would not have suffered the discomfort and pain she was no doubt in for 8 weeks; I don't think it is fair to suggest that this could have happened to any breeder; responsible breeders would have ensured their pups were healthy long before they got to 8 weeks old  :-\

Few things I read like this touch me emotionally; but the thought of that poor pup suffering the way she must have done - and the distress that Teal must have been in too, knowing her puppy was in need, has left me with a knot in my stomach  :'(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
I don't think it is fair to suggest that this could have happened to any breeder; responsible breeders would have ensured their pups were healthy long before they got to 8 weeks old  :-\

I meant that the abnormalities in the pups could have happened to any breeder.........I feel exactly the same as you on this subject.

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »
we had a lamb with this last year by 3 days old its stomach was hugely distended. it had an op and  survived then sadly a fox killed it.
 however it was obvious by its swollen abdomen that it was distended. checked...no anus, was in vets for less than an hour, small op  home and feeding by the afternoon. if mr fox hadnt got it I think it would still be on the go,  if not sold on for meat.
 Its a shame it wasnt so easily detected in a pup. Surely it was unduly distended? poor puppy. :'(

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 07:56:06 PM »
healthgene have links to lots of different universities and laboratories and tend to look a little more widely than genetics they also look at viral diseases that might cause Fading Puppy Syndrome for example. They tend to ask for the bodies of effected puppies so that they can study them.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »
but the way I think is I'm guessing  from my horse breeding days....you watched for the foal to pass its stuff...ok so its only one foal at a time to check, but it should be a similar process in my mind. I constantly check the dogs poop now...maybe I'm just obsessed!!

Yes it's the same process with puppies :D I'm always on poop patrol when we have a litter and with newborns, I like to see they've all passed a poop within a few hours of being born (some will "go" almost as soon as they are born)

That's how I knew Buttons wasn't well with her last litter as she wasn't stimulating them to go to the toilet so I had to do it for her  ;) a marked change from her last litter where I had to stop her from eating a litter 6 puppies poo at 8 weeks  ph34r I must admit I'm a poo fanatic too and it's something I always check when they've been wormed.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 10:21:20 PM »
Do you think non doggy owners think we are wierd examining their deposits :embarassed: