Author Topic: pls help  (Read 1585 times)

Offline tracy.nolan

pls help
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
hi i havent been on here for ages i have had trouble with my pc but heres my problem bob is a year and half old and he is weeing and pooing on my floors he will come from the garden and do it he has learnt to open my kitchen doors and takes out all my plates and cups i bought baby latches that still does not stop him he chews any thing he can get his teeth on i take him on long walks i love him to bits but at my wits end pls help

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
Re: pls help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:33:38 PM »
What area are you in?  If you contact your vet, they could maybe put you in touch with a qualified behaviourist in your area.

Let us know how you get on, and don't do anything drastic.

Gill xx
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »
Oh dear no wonder you poor thing  :o, Do you have a crate for Bob? do you go out with him when he needs the toilet, try going with him and make sure he does what he needs to do before you bring him back in and reward with a treat and make a big fuss, as for chewing if he is doing whilst left alone I would defo suggest a crate, with toys and a kong filled for him to be kept occupied, im sure someone with a lot more experience than me will be along to advise  :blink:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline tracy.nolan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:47:51 PM »
wow thanks for those quick replys i have just bought him a crate about a hour ago i am going to make him a apointment at my vets it is so frustrating i cant allow him out of the kitchen because he will get the bin all out and steal what ever he can find he is very affectinate good with my kids but just has this other side to him it makes  me so angry sometimes i am desperate

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »
wow thanks for those quick replys i have just bought him a crate about a hour ago i am going to make him a apointment at my vets it is so frustrating i cant allow him out of the kitchen because he will get the bin all out and steal what ever he can find he is very affectinate good with my kids but just has this other side to him it makes  me so angry sometimes i am desperate
We no longer have a bin just a bag hanging out Jet's reach. I found anti-chew spray, nylabones and kongs with his food in help reduce the chewing a bit. Lots of exercise helps too as he tends to sleep quite a while afterwards. Good luck

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
Poor you, you sound as if you are at your wits end  :'(

Take a deep breath and try to take things in small chunks rather than as one big problem  :-*

1) Has he always soiled in the house, or has he (at some point) been toilet trained?   If he is house-trained, but is no longer able to hold it, then I would recommend a visit to the vets to rule out any medical reasons.  If he gets the all clear, then you can begin to go back to basics and take him outside every half hour or so, as well as after every meal, and give him loads of praise/reward when he toilets outside.  If he does have an accident indoors, ignore it and clean it up with biological washing powder so that the smell is removed.

2) Chewing/destructive behaviour can be a sign of stress, or boredom - how long is Bob left for?  A crate will keep him safe while he is left alone, but shouldn't be used for more than a couple of hours at a time, really.

3) Turfing the contents of the bin out sounds pretty typical cocker behaviour - living with a dog sometimes means making compromises - a lidded bin, or raised on a shelf is the most stress-free solution  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline mcphee

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
Poor you. I cannot help you with the poo/wee problem, but I am glad I used a crate for Rufus. Don't worry about the bin. I have to keep mine up high because Rufus will knock it over, take the top off and eat all the food waste. I went to tescos to get a pedal bin the other day. There was a lady standing by the bins, and she laughed when I explained and told me not to bother because her dog used to lift the lid with the pedal. Good luck. i will be interested to learn how you solve the problem.

Offline KatieJean

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:09:06 PM »
As far as the bin is concerned I don't think there is a solution our other cockers could get into any bin even a heavy baranta one costing about £70.
Our 8 month old pup has just chewed new skirting, he managed to get the baby gate open and chewed it in the time it too OH and son to go the B&Q and back. They haven't owned up to what they said >:D

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
Everything Debrand and Cob-Web said.

Good luck, Im sure it will be ok in the end! They do test us don't they  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »
As far as the bin is concerned I don't think there is a solution our other cockers could get into any bin even a heavy baranta one costing about £70.
Our 8 month old pup has just chewed new skirting, he managed to get the baby gate open and chewed it in the time it too OH and son to go the B&Q and back. They haven't owned up to what they said >:D

We use a cheap plastic swing bin (from Asda or Tesco etc) but OH screwed it to the wall out of reach  :D. It works a treat, prior to this we had a carrier bag bin from betterware and they used to chew the bottom of the bag until the rubbish fell out  >:(

My lot love skirting, especially in my modern house as it seems to be made from munchy cardboard rather than wood!
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline ehenry

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »
Iam sure the crate will help once Bob gets into a new routine. I think bins and cockers dont go together too well! Have you ever tried a DAP collar? They are expensive however we have recent experience of using one and were amazed at the results. Wishing you well, Elaine.

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 07:28:52 AM »
I agree with ehenry about trying DAP. Some dogs are much more affected by it than others, but our Alfie is quite a stressed dog (rescue dog) but we have a DAP diffuser next to the crate and he is so much calmer when it is on.

We have the DAP spray as well, and if someone comes to the house, he can be growling and woofing at them, and a couple of squirts of DAP onto his blanket and he lies straight down and relaxes!  :o

If your dog is chewing because he is bored or stressed, the DAP might help.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3