Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Otterwhiskers

Advice please
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:37:59 PM »

Hello, I really need some advice.

Yesterday Madison went to the dog groomers and while she was there she got to run around for the day and play with the groomers two male dogs.  To cut a long story short when we got back we discovered that she had come into season (her second). I spoke to the groomer this morning and discovered that her boys were unneutered.  She couldn't confirm or not whether any mating had taken place and I have already spoken to the vet to enquire after the morning after pill - which turns out to be two injections 24 hours apart.

I feel a bit fed up right now, I had explained to the groomer when I first booked the appointment that Maddie was unspayed when she told me that all the dogs she has come to her get to run about with her own dogs and have a great time.  Then before she went yesterday I told my partner to tell her again that Madison was not only unspayed but I had a hunch that she might be coming into season again (there where no signs, but I just had this feeling).  When I spoke to her she said William forgot to mention it to her, although he maintains he did, but she also said she saw that Madisons lady parts where a bit swollen, so mentioned to her assistant that she thought she was coming into season - and yet this has happened.....

My question is this; what are the side-effects of the injections and what are the chances that Maddie could be pregnant?  I'm not an experienced dog owner, so I need to weigh up the pros and cons before going ahead and having chemicals put into her body if the chances are tiny.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:45:17 PM »
This is only my opinion mind  :shades:. I would think that if she is at the stage in her season where she is receptive to mating then it would have been very apparent with the groomers two dogs (ie lots of humping  ph34r). My Mum looked after Millie for a day at the beginning of her last season, I thought when I picked her up that Charlie seemed a bit more interested in sniffing her rear end than usual (he normally doesn't really do that) and then the next day I noticed her cleaning herself and did the paper test and there was a spot of blood. She didn't become 'flirty' for about another 10 days so I haven't worried too much. Plus Mum said she didn't see any randiness from Charlie and they were hardly left alone. Will be very interested in other replies though!

Millie

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »
I really don't know enough to make any judgement on the mating part but with the groomer i'd be furious!!  >:(
How blurry irresponsible. She's no excuse, being a person that works with dogs, to not know what a situation she's put poor Madison in. Even just the fact that it'd wind her boys up something rotten to be running around with a bitch in season.  >:D
I think once you're armed with the facts you should be having words with her to explain the risk the has put Madison in. I'm not suggesting you have to tear strips off her but she certainly should be told that it's unacceptable.  :-\ Perhaps she thought that because it was the begininning that it wasn't danger time but if that's the case then she must have heard your OH telling her and as such she'd have lied to you. As far as she knew (if she didn't hear it) Maddie had swollen bits indicating that she was in season and she let her boys run about unnattended with her. I'd be fuming that she'd put Madison at risk like that.
Her's aren't cockers by any chance are they?

ETA: Have a look at this thread, it should be helpful http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=58905.0
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Otterwhiskers

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »
Her's aren't cockers by any chance are they?

No, I think they were Springers.  But she did say when I spoke to her this morning she said that they would make 'beautiful puppies' and that if it was any consolation, he was KC registered! >:(  Maddie is on the active, but having puppies is a 'no no' for us - she is still a puppy herself (a year and a few months, but she is still a baby to us!). She said she did feel bad and that she had never asked whether the bitches she has groomed were spayed or not before they run around with her boys and that she was certainly going to ask from now on.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »
If Maddie has only just come into season, it's extremely unlikely that she would have allowed herself to be mated or that the male Springers would have been very interested in her (most bitches are not receptive to males until the 2nd week of their season, although there is always the odd exception). Of course without knowing what happened, you can never say for sure that she was not mated but the odds are that she wasn't. I'd make an appointment with your vet for further advice to be on the safe side though (and shame on the groomer for being so lacking in awareness and for not supervising visiting dogs properly >:()
Jane

Offline Otterwhiskers

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »

Hello again.

Thanks for your replies.  I have spoken to our vet and Maddie is booked in at 4:30 this evening.  I explained the situation to her and she seems to think the chances of her being pregnant are minimal as it was the first day of her season yesterday.  We talked about our options, these being

1. spay her within the next few days.

2. have the injection even with it's possible side effects or...

3.  do nothing and take the risk that she probably isn't fertile and then if she does have puppies we would have to rally and do our best

But she also offered a fourth and much more agreeable option which was to take her in this even and do a swab to see if there were traces of any sperm and also to tell us how fertile she as although she probably isn't, every dog is different.

The name of the injection is 'Alizin', and although it is supposed to be better than the older one they used, it obviously still comes with risks.

Will let you know that happens.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 05:03:12 PM »
I don't have any advice but I so feel for you. You sound like an extremely responsible person but I can't believe how irresponsible your groomer is!

Lots of luck with your decision - it sounds like you may be able to get a good idea if there is any chance she's pregnant before deciding what to do. If you were going to have her spayed anyway, maybe that's the best course of action but I think they do usually recommend to spay midway between seasons but not sure why :-\

xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x