Author Topic: When Is Too Old For A First Litter?  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
When Is Too Old For A First Litter?
« on: September 15, 2004, 03:11:48 PM »
This is not a question being asked by me, it's one that was asked of me today over the telephone.

A man called, said he lived local, he had a bitch who will be 6 in a couple of months and said he wanted to breed her.  I, very politely told him, she was really a bit old for a first litter, I asked what health checks she had done,  how he had gone about finding a stud dog............none of which he had done, so I told him to try and forget it and enjoy his girl as a pet!

He wasn't too impressed with my answers, although I put it over as nicely as I could, he said his wife would be upset as she had set her heart on having puppies..........he did say they would forget it then, as his pets health was more important.

Do you think I gave the right advise?

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 03:41:14 PM »
in brief - yes :D . Age six is generally considered too old - between two and three is considered the best time.

Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 04:23:05 PM »
Thanks Pammy.........that's what I thought

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 04:46:23 PM »
I second Pammy!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline mollymo

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 08:00:57 PM »
This is not a question being asked by me, it's one that was asked of me today over the telephone.

A man called, said he lived local, he had a bitch who will be 6 in a couple of months and said he wanted to breed her.  I, very politely told him, she was really a bit old for a first litter, I asked what health checks she had done,  how he had gone about finding a stud dog............none of which he had done, so I told him to try and forget it and enjoy his girl as a pet!

He wasn't too impressed with my answers, although I put it over as nicely as I could, he said his wife would be upset as she had set her heart on having puppies..........he did say they would forget it then, as his pets health was more important.

Do you think I gave the right advise?
Hi, I think it was me you are referring to.
Actually, I was very impressed with your answers and knowledge.
Sorry if you got the wrong impression.
Best wishes

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 09:06:43 PM »
mollymo - I have just answered your question on the general thread.

Good on you though for owning up  :D - I did wonder as the question was so similar.

I have given you the title of an excellent book you should have a look at - it's the breeder's bible.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 10:48:58 PM »
Sorry Mollymo,

I did say to your OH that he was very sensible asking BEFORE actually doing and he did say that your Molly's health was more important.

Your OH sounded so disappointed, I only posted to see if others agreed with what I had said.

She's obviously a much loved pet!

Sharon

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 12:45:23 AM »
I think there has to be a better reason for breeding than liking the idea of having puppies as well. It's important to have a bitch suitable as a brood bitch (the breeder would be able to advise on this), to find a suitable, eye-tested stud dog (again the breeder would be able to advise), and to have the relevant healh tests carried out on the bitch.

If you really want to breed, and you feel it's for the right reasons (ie to continue a good line of cocker spaniels who are healthy and have excellent temperaments and are good examples of the breed) it's probably best to wait until you decide on your next puppy and then make your intentions known to the breeder  :)  

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 08:28:19 AM »

it's probably best to wait until you decide on your next puppy and then make your intentions known to the breeder  

This was also something I did mention on the telephone  :)  

Offline pepperblue

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 07:20:52 PM »
I definitely think you gave the right advice.
Caroline xxx

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 07:43:15 PM »
Don't bitches usually stop breeding by the time they get to six, nevermind start????????

Offline pepperblue

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 07:50:26 PM »
I've heard that you should never breed a bitch after the age of seven.
Caroline xxx

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 09:31:07 PM »
Don't bitches usually stop breeding by the time they get to six, nevermind start????????
[snapback]169073[/snapback]

my sister had a lab x boxer dog and she thought she was gaining weight rapidly.marny was six and a half at the time.off they went to the vets and he informed sis marny was pregnant,sis couldn't understand how this could happen.marny was as far as she was aware never in contact with dogs whilst she was in season.a few days after marny gave birth to nine puppies sis went to hang her washing on the line and lo and behold there was a lovely liver dalmation in her back garden.he had managed to get over the six foot fence he lived in the house that backed onto theirs :o sis thought marny was safe in her fenced in garden but marny was obviously having a great time.
marny was very ill after having the puppies and the vet said it was due to her age.she did recover after a while and sis kept one of the puppies,her name is holly sadly marny died earlier this year at the great age of 16.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 09:58:35 PM »
What I probably should have said was don't breeders usually stop breeding bitches by the time they are six, nevermind start!.....clearly if they wanna do it they'l do it!!!!! ;)  ;)

Do bitches have a menopause like we do????????? If that is a really obvious question and I'm being fick....sorry, it just came to me whilst I was typing this post??!! xx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 10:05:01 PM »
I know of a 10 year old bitch who had a litter :o
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)