Author Topic: 5 gen pedigree - working or show cockers?  (Read 3882 times)

Offline DTrubs

5 gen pedigree - working or show cockers?
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:12:11 AM »
Hi all,

I've just received the 5 generation pedigree certificates for my two bundles of joy. When I bought them, I thought I was buying two show cockers - their mum and dad certainly looked that way! Now they are 4 months old, one looks a lot more like a working cocker than the other (even though they are brothers.)

On the certificate, there is a whole section of field trial champions. Are ft ch usually working cockers? Can cockers be a mixture of show and working but still be pedigree and KC registered? None of this means that I won't want them anymore  :D i'm just fascinated by the 5 generation breeding (and may have spent last night on google images looking up their ancestors  ph34r)

Thanks!!

Offline allylou

Re: 5 gen pedigree - working or show cockers?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 11:18:31 AM »
if you are able to post the names people will probably be abe able to tell you whether they are show or workers. I've always understood that ft ch meant workers too - but i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you out. Have you posted any photos? - would love to see them.   :blink:
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »
FTCH means Field Trial Champion and is usually found on working Cocker pedigrees or on the pedigrees of dogs which are a mixture of the two types. Both working and show types are pedigree Cockers, they are two strains of the same breed and so a mix of the two is still a pedigree Cocker and can be KC registered. There is usually no good reason to mix the two strains though, I don't know of any really good Cocker breeders who would do this other than on extremely rare occasions for a very specific reason. It's usually done by either commercial breeders for colour (usually to produce some variation on the 'chocolate' theme) or by back yard breeders who either don't know or don't care about what they're doing in mixing the strains.

Did your breeder tell you that the pups were full show Cockers when you went to see them? It's possible that the parents are a mixture of show and working types themselves so the pups will have a % of show type and a % of worker in them but not necessarily 50/50.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »
FTCH are always working cockers. It means they are field trial winners.
You can KC register a mix of working and show so they will still be KC registered if they are a mix.
Do they have any SHCH in there pedigree?

Nic explained it much better than me  :blink:

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
My OH just really made me laugh, I was telling him about your post and he said FTCH really means

Fun To Chase and Hunt  :005: :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »
My OH just really made me laugh, I was telling him about your post and he said FTCH really means

Fun To Chase and Hunt  :005: :005:

Ha ha! He's got that right :shades: :lol2: :lol2:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:32:13 AM »
Just out of interest - if you had a show cocker that you worked and entered into working trials  - if it won, would it not also have the FTCh affix irrespective of its lineage?  
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline allylou

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »
Just out of interest - if you had a show cocker that you worked and entered into working trials  - if it won, would it not also have the FTCh affix irrespective of its lineage?  

just what i was wondering too  :D
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »

I'm sure that in some of the other European countries, the show cockers have to be able to work before the can win any show titles (correct me if I'm wrong)
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:40:59 AM »

Yes FTCH is about the trial not the breed. So a show cocker could be a FTCH. FTCH is also the title working labs and springers have on their peds when they are made up to field trial champions

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »

I'm sure that in some of the other European countries, the show cockers have to be able to work before the can win any show titles (correct me if I'm wrong)

I could be wrong but I *think* its a working test they have to complete to show they are fit for standard.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:44:55 AM »

Yes, if a show Cocker won the appropriate field trials they'd be a FTCH. If they were already a show champion or became a show champion afterwards then they'd then be a dual champion. I think the last time a show Cocker managed that was in the 1990s.

Edited, confused full and dual champions.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 11:48:43 AM »

I could be wrong but I *think* its a working test they have to complete to show they are fit for standard.

Yes in some countries they also have to show that the dogs are fit to work; here in the UK there is the Kennel Club Show Gundog Working Certificate but I don't know how many show dogs actually do this. I think it counts towards full champion status if they're also a SHCH.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »
very very few show cockers in this country are ever field trialled - it would be pretty much grasping at straws to think in a pedigree at the moment that a FT CH is anything but  a working cocker

....and there are only a handful of show cocker breeders in this country that breed unusual colours that have an all show pedigree - a lot of unusual colours (liver roan, liver roan and tan etc) are mixed worker/show (and sold as show) as these colours aren't that uncommon on working side.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »
I know a couple of exhibitors who work their show cockers but as they only have a handful of dogs between them I
can't imagine there would be many exhibited show cockers with FTCH in their pedigrees. :-\
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk